1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forced Spring / Fall Update on New Xbox 360? Need Help

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by leftynutz, Jun 8, 2007.

1. leftynutz

leftynutz Member

Flashed an xbox 360 and tried to play nba homecourt, asked to be updated and got error 66, ring of death, returned it and got a new xbox and flashed.

Now when I try to play Guitar Hero or Forza, It asks me to update or I can't play the game. I have dashboard 2xxx.

question is if I update from xbox live, I will get banned, has anybody had any experience updating from a burned CD from their website?

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/console/updates.htm

What should I do, I don't want another ring of death!

2. steimy

steimy Active member

There are many people and many results. Personally i have updated the console and every game that had one and have had no problems.

3. leftynutz

leftynutz Member

How did you update? from xbox live or burned CD or from a dvd game?

Bad experience updating from NBA homecourt DVD.

My dashboard is 2.0.2858.0

So you have a flashed xbox 360 and you are able to play guitar hero and forza?

4. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

I do the same, I update everything and have no problesm what so ever.

@ leftynutz my 360 is flashed and I still play on live.
    I play guitar hero and forza, both updated fine for me.

5. leftynutz

leftynutz Member

Thanks for the responses,

Interesting, Maybe it was just the NBA Homecourt that gave me problems, worst feeling was seeing the 1 red ring of death, I was like WTF. and I bought it 2 days before it happened.

I guess I will try to update the guitar hero 2 tonight,

so you guys updated directly from the DVD?

6. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

are you on about the game update? When I first put in guitar hero and forza I had to update but i already had the spring dashboard.
    I guess yours is updating the dash at the same time as its a new console. Stil, a lot of people still have no trouble doing this with a flashed box.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  7. leftynutz

leftynutz Member

my dashboard is 2.0.2858.0

I just bought an xbox yesterday and took it to a guy to flash.

I did not install any fall or spring updates, I have guitar hero 2 and Forza and both of them ask me to update.

What should you suggest I should do first?

should I go update the dashboard? from xbox live, burned dvd?

or should I just update directly from the games?

8. leftynutz

leftynutz Member

I got this advice from another forum telling me to update my samsung firmware.

"I'm pretty sure when you updated and got the E66, you just needed to upgrade your firmware (I'm assuming it was a Samsung then). There's also a STICKY in this thread about it. Updates are fine. I don't know if you will get banned after you update from live. If you are wary of this, update from the CD. Bans come from connecting to live."

9. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

if you are worried about getting banned then connecting to live is always a risk with a modded box and may be worth you doing it via the cd. I have never done it this way so am afraid I can't tell you how to do it but no doubt someone on here will have done it that way and can help you out some more.

10. leftynutz

leftynutz Member

ok, well I have an update,

I just said screw it and downloaded the system update

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemus...ole/updates.htm

burned it on a CD and updated the software,

the Xbox glitched for a second, then reset and asked for an HD-DVD Drive.

I ejected the CD and it went back to the dashboard.

Dashboard updated from 2.0.2858.0 to 2.0.5759

now everything works, Guitar Hero, Forza, except some PAl games

Thanks for your help.

11. steimy

steimy Active member

360 is not region free, so if the game is from a different region and is not region free it will not work.

12. Mikeyy79

Mikeyy79 Member

I was wondering if anyone had heard of this, a couple of months ago my xbox360 started telling me to 'open tray' on some of the newer back ups of games such as Virtua Tennis 3 and Meet the Robinson's, I had xtreme firmware 5.2. I sent it in for repair at AVT and a guy there told me that some of the newer games are messing with my older Samsung Toshiba Rom and he could replace the old rom for a newer version Rom, but now he called a motnh and a half later and says he got the new Rom installed and he is sending it back, but he says none of my games or movies will even work until I flash the rom with the latest xtreme firmware, he said the dashboard had disabled the rom from from being able to be used until it is flashed, I thought it sounded fishy at first but after reading some of the forums, i think he could be for real, I've been out of the modding scene for the past 2 months so I'm a little rusty but has anything like this happened to anyone else? Please let me know, thanks

13. Astromic

Astromic Member

The error you recieved is because you had flashed the wrong samsung firmware on your xbox, you flashed prior to 4.0 and needed to go 4.0 or newer, recommend the Iextreme 1.2 as it is the newest. Your old firmware just needed to be updated, and then you could have reinserted the game that gave you the error 66 to finish patching it and you are fixed.

14. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

old firmwares gave e66'es with they were spoofed to the ms25 which was based on ms28 firmware if im correct but you should have just updated then reflashed and your set.