1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

forced subtitles not showing up after analysis

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Weirdo007, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Hello, I'm new to this site but it looks really wonderful and helpful. I have a question about the DVD Shrink program and subtitles. On some subtitles, NOT the ones that you can choose in the options of most dvd's, but the ones that are part of the movie, whether you have them turned on or not, why wont DVD Shrink rip these with along with everything else? For example in Star Wars IV (the original disc, with all subs turned OFF), when Greedo encounters Han Solo in the Mos Eisley cantina, Greedo is speaking in his own tongue, but it automatically translates into a subtitle so that you can read it and understand the exchange between them. Why doesn't DVD Shrink pull these along with everything else? Thxs for any help!

Oh BTW, Shrink backed up Star Wars IV no prob. Perfect audio and video. Just this little quirk with the subs that is bugging me. When I turn ON the subtitles, it will read what Greedo is saying, but then it also reads everything else that everybody says too. I'm just trying to get the stuff that the alien races speak, that get a "automatic" subtitle for them. Thxs!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  2. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

After Shrink has analyzed, check to see if there is more than one English subtitle track. This was the case for KillBill one and two. The smaller of the two subtitle tracts has the "only as needed" subtiles, and the larger has subtitles for the entire movie. Pick only the smaller one for your "backup". You will have to "enable subtitles" from the set top remote or from the playback menue on PowerDVD (or WinDVD) during playback. The as needed subtiles will tthen come on during the appropriate scenes. At least this is how it worked for the KillBills.

3. zippyd

zippyd Active member

4. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Thank you both SO much, I shall try both and see what happens! You definitely hit it Stan, the " as needed" subs is what I'm after! :) And I'll read the guide for forcing zippy see what I get. thxs again!