1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Format issues when burning downloaded movies

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by markyman, Mar 22, 2005.

1. markyman

markyman Member

Hey guys,
    I download a lot of DVDs and after burning their ISO or .VOB files using Nero, 50% of the time when I try to play the dvd on my Panasonic SC-HT920 home theatre player the picture starts skipping right off the bat.
    I looked everywhere and even tried calling Panaonic with no luck.
    When I used Nero's "Get System Info" utility I noticed that the format of the dvds that have the issue all show the following: "NTSC 4:3 (Mpeg 1, 720x480)"
    while the good dvds show this "NTSC 4:3 (MPEG 2, 720x480)"

So it seems that the Mpeg is the only difference here.
    Do you guys have any suggestion or clue on what's going on here and ideas of how to fix. which tools can I use to convert the ISO or VOB files I"m getting to Mpeg2???

Thanks...

2. gamename

gamename Regular member

i think your asking the wrong question.see what type of file you have(avi,divx etc.)most of the time downloading movies is illeagl.you might not get many responses on this,unless its from a mod.and you dont want that.

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

DVD standard is MPEG 2 if you have an Mpeg 1 file than that is normally a VCD or SVCD. You need to convert the MPEG 1 file into a DVD compliant file. You are lucky your DVD player play's those at all...

If you need to know how to convert them MPEG 1's check out the guide at my site called "Convert AVI to DVD" the link is in my signature. :)

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

gamename, there are certain things that are taboo on these forums and some that aren't, with regard to downloaded stuff at least.

5. markyman

markyman Member

Thank you all and thank you creaky. I'm not asking about how to get any illegal material. I'm only asking how to convert or fix a problem I'm having with some material that I already have.

Anyway, I'll keep looking and watch what I say.

6. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

I agree with bmayo. But most all dvd players play vcd and svcd. Insted of converting them. You could just use any probram that will author vcd and make a vcd burn the file to cd. It's going to look just as good as converting it to mpeg2. Just curious what's the file extension of the video file your trying to convert. If the file has a .mpeg extension it is a VCD and this guid may help if you must convert.

http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php...=0&listallusers=&search=Search+or+List+Guides

Good Luck

Spacedust

7. markyman

markyman Member

They're actually a bunch of .vob files. When I burn them into a dvd and use Nero info utility on the disk it says that it is mpeg1.
    I know it's confusing but I guess that's why I"m here asking.

Thanks...

8. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

.VOB files ok try this. Open .vob files using windvd, or powerdvd and play vob files. Make sure the originals will play ok. If there ok try taking those .vob files insert them in nero and try making a vcd, you will burn this to a cd. Im not sure becouse i have not explored a VCD disk, but it sounds like those vob files you have where created in VCD format (Mpeg1).
    Im thinking maybe you can insert those vob files in any burning program that will make a vcd and it will work. I have inserted vob files in sonic MyDVD and made dvd disk but the vob where ripped off dvd with decrypter.

Good Luck

Spacedust

9. shannon81

shannon81 Guest

I had downloaded some movies and i was trying to burn them onto a dvd, but they are in mpg, mpeg, or avi format. Do i need to convert them into vob files or what??? If so what program do i need to use to convert them??

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member