1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formating hd and instaltion of windows xp

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Fareway, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Fareway

Fareway Member

Hi,

Im having problems with my pc. the system crashed while in defrag and when i crtl alt del to reboot the machine a windows system file was missing and advised me to insert xp disk. I did so and tried to repair the file but it did not work. Knowing how tempramental windows is i decided that i would format and do a fresh install.

i booted from the xp disk and deleted the partition and created a new one but i am unable to fully format this partition. Doesnt get beyond 0%. i can quick format but when i do this xp will not install. It will get to about 33% and isnt able to write any other informatio to the drive.

Any ideas as to why i am unable to format the drive. I have even slaed in the drive into my father machine and tried to format it that way but even that cant.

Is this a sign that the harddrive is dead????

any help on this would very much apreciated :O)

2. gamename

gamename Regular member

could be.awhile back i had a similar problem.i made a hp backup disc when my operating sys. started acting up.i took it to a computer shop.that was the problem.along with the power supply.computer shops are very expensive though. you would come out a lot cheaper buying a hard drive.the last 120 gb i bought was on sale for 79.99

3. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

you could try a low level format . most hard drive makers have tools on their website for testing and low level format .

4. madgreek

madgreek Guest

Sorry bud bad news. Your windows sounds like it has registry damage or a corrupted windows. I would format the hd. You can do this by just loading the windows disk...then go into the bios and make the computer boot off the windows cd.