1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

formating my harddrive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by gruel, Jun 1, 2004.

1. gruel

gruel Member

hi
    ive just put a hurcules radeon 9800pro in my pc, since then ive had problems when running ravensheild, programs stop responding and i usualy get stuck in raven menu window and end up turning my pc of by the plug, i can get over this now by quickly going back to the desk top after hitting the multiplayer op, and watching the windows task manager to see if the program stops responding, which alot of the time it does as well as messanger and other programs.

ive tried driver cleaner and reg cleaner after i took out my old Nvidia card, i let them do the cleaning automatically, as im not to sure about what to do with them, hope that isnt why im having this problem. ive been told that i need to format my harddrive, does this sound right?
    if formating is what ive got to do then
    1 How do i format
    2 im i likely to cause more problems than to correct them
    3 will i have to save everything on my pc first

as always your help and advice will be much appreciated :) thanks

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Yea formatting the hdd would prolly be the most effective thing to do now
    1. If you have mor than one partition (and there is sufficient space), copy all the stuff from your system drive (usually C:, but it means the drive you installed windows on) to that drive and keep it there
    2. If you dont have a second partition or a second drive, you can either make a partition (provided there is space) using something like Partition Magic or you can save your stuff via CDs or network
    3. Once you've backed up all your stuff, pop the OS CD into the drive and reboot, booting off the CD. You may have to change your boot order to boot off the CD. During the bootup after you select the drive you wish to install Windows on (pick the same one as before), it will give you an option to format as the very last step before things start. You'll prolly want to select "Quick Format - NTFS"
    4. Once you've done that it formats and installs, it then reboots and finishs the customization and installation and activation etc.
    5. When you finally boot up windows for the first time, install your software, drivers, tweaks, util, games etc as per normal

3. gruel

gruel Member

ok so formating me HD is the way forward.
    im not sure if i have more than 1 partion i think ive only got 1 drive (C:) but when i open my comp it also shows a program "virtual clonedrive(F:)" i dont know how it got there or if this is another drive, as far as i know theres nothing else in (F:).
    i never got an os cd with my pc it was already on there, i did get a recovery disc but my 3year old managed to pull the silver metal bit of so im not sure if that still works.
    so to if i want to format i need a os cd, can i create one? have you got a link for partion magic preator plz.
    you mentioned about saving my stuff to network, how does that work?

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. You will need a new OS disc to install or some form of recovery disc. Virtually no exceptions
    2. Apparently Symantec bought out PowerQuest who makes Partition Magic. http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/
    3. You only have 1 (real) partition.
    4. To backup over a network, either use Windows Filesharing (easy) or setup a basic ftp server (more difficult)

5. gruel

gruel Member

i think im going to have to try and find a step by step guide for thickos, or get someone to phisicaly do it for me, it looks a bit to much for me to cope with yet.

thanks preator, that was a hell of a speedy reply

ps. is the recovery disk the same as a boot disk?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]pc's humm im on such a constant learning curve i keep going around in circles[/small]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2004
  6. john179

john179 Active member

Here is a qick guide to format your hard drive.
    1.Put a window's start up disc in.This can be 95 , 98 or ME.
    2.When the disc boots up you will get several options.You want to select the option which say's boot without cd support.
    3.Once it has gone through a few things it will come to a prompt.Type in format c: like that with the space in between t and c and then press enter.It will then warn you all your data will be lost do you want to carry on yes or no.Put a y in and press enter.Your drive will then begin to re format.
    4.When it is completed depending on what os your using do the following.
    5.For windowns 95, 98, Me put your start up disc in the floppy again and your windows install disc in your master cd , dvd rom drive.This time when the options come up choose start up with cd rom support and follow the install guide.
    6.For xp i normally just go in my bios and change my cd to first boot up point and put the cd in my master cd drive and the xp set up will start straight of and will ask you what format you want your drive to be in.Which i alawys format in nfts but you can format in fat 32 if you want your choice i think nfts is alot better.
    This is just a quick quide to give you a little help and there is many web sites you can visit through asking googles which will guide you to sites that do word for word and pictures guide's to make it really easy to follow.Hope this helps you a little and i'm sure some of the guy's will help you in more detail as for me iam off to bed for the night as i have just finished work and iam rarther tired
    Cheers
    John179