1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formatting a HD for my PS2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by ssKirby, Jul 3, 2007.

1. ssKirby

ssKirby Member

Ok, I will try to clearly explain so there is no confusion.

I have a 'classic' PS2(a.k.a. not the slim). I have a network adapter. I have a Hard Drive.

I am not looking to buy anything other than what I already have(so I don't want to buy anything else).

Is there any program out there that would allow you to format a HD on your PC for a PS2? I can connect my HD to my PC, and then would like to be able to format it for my PS2 so I can use it.

I only am trying to do this from my PC because all other options include my buying a disc or something else so I can get this to work. But that is not what I am looking for.

Thanks to anyone and everyone in advance.

2. ssKirby

ssKirby Member

I have continued my search and found many sites and tutorials, all leading to dead ends.

Is there no computer program out there at all that will format a HD for a PS2? Everything I find needs you to use a PS2 disc.

I just want to hook up my HD to my PC, then run a program that formats it, then plug it back into my PS2 so I can use it.

3. stryker69

stryker69 Guest

look on google for a program called winhiip it should help you with what you want to do

4. ssKirby

ssKirby Member

It appears that winhiip was the program I was looking for.

But I ran it, formatted my HD, then when I put it in my PS2, nothing.... Is there something I'm missing? I did a full format using winhiip. Also, I know to put the drive on master before putting it in the PS2.

Maybe there is something I missed, but it seems like it should have worked.....

5. ssKirby

ssKirby Member

I still need to buy HD Loader for that to work(winhiip)? because it appears that the program formats the HD foe HD Loader to use, which I would have to buy.

6. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

You can't automatically insert an IDE HDD into your fat PS2 using a Network Adapter expecting the PS2 browser to immediately show your HDD like your PC. Yes, you do need HDLoader and some other method of booting HDL either using a Memory Card exploit where you can upload the HDL program onto your memory card (provided you have enough space for it and using a Sony brand PS2 MC) with Gameshark 2, Action Replay or Swap Magic. Once you put the HDL onto the MC, you must use an original PSX game as a trigger disk for each time you want to load the HDL from the MC. You can also purchase Swap Magic 3.8 and boot the HDL program off a USB pen drive. And of course, you could simply buy HD Advance, but I'd suggest getting Swap Magic instead as you'll have more options if you want to run homebrews or whatever.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  7. raiderj

raiderj Regular member

Going with a mod-chip really isn't that expensive. For $60 you can probably get a cheap one like a Duo 3 installed. From there, you can run uLaunchELF as a front-end and use HD Loader among other homebrew - much easier than having to mess with swap discs. You can also install games over FTP, copy save games, etc.

Worth the money IMO.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007