1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formatting a PS2 hard drive

Discussion in 'PS2' started by jpp01uk, Apr 18, 2005.

1. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

Im about to install a hard drive into my ps2. Im going to be using USB on the ps2 and USB Extreme (which I havent bought yet).

Which is the best software to format a drive, the drive has been used before so has the usual crap on it (Windows XP etc).

So Im just wondering the best way to go about formatting it. Any guides would be useful!

Thanks
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. r0c0

r0c0 Guest

from usbextreme website u can download the tools and info
    o yea installing is like the word says , not plugging in a usb hardrive , thats not installing
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2005
  4. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

Yeah and Im having trouble installing it lol! I cant even get XP to recognise it.

Its a 60GB Maxtor in a external drive enclosure connected via USB 2.0 and my pc does have USB 2.0.

XP normally would detect the drive wouldnt it? I know the disk is working because you can hear the fans working!
  5. williej

williej Regular member

In order for your PC to 'see' the drive, you need WinHIIP or PS2Handiness. If you don't do that, XP won't see it.

Honestly, if you own the old console, the big, fat PS2, I would recommend HD Loader/HD Advance and a hard drive in the back of the PS2. If you own the new, slim PSTwo, then go with USBExtreme. It's still new and it has a dismal success rate with games. And it's slower than if you had a HD in the back of your PS2.

HDL/HDA automatically format your HD when you stick in the disk.
  6. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

Ok thanks for your recommendations Ill go with HD Advance then!
  7. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

Ive just installed WINHIIP but it still cant find the drive!!! Its not in My Computer either.
  8. williej

williej Regular member

NP. You have to format your HD with HD Loader/HD Advance first and then those programs will show your HD. But you have to format it with HDL/HDA first. Sorry I didn't write that first.

Also, in order for you to run HDL/HD Advance, you will need an network adapter to power your HD. Initial setup will be like $50, if you own the HD. The adapter can be found for $20, HD Advance can be found for under $30. You can try the free version, a memory card exploit, but I have no knowledge of that message.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  9. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

So Windows wont recognise it as a normal hard drive until its formatted? I already have the network adapter for the net so I just need the software
  10. williej

williej Regular member

Yes, that's all you need ... you will be up and running in no time. Let me know how everything turns out.
  11. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

It wasnt the software I needed it was to remove the jumpers from the HDD, wasnt working with those on.

Thank you for your help!!
  12. hymes

hymes Member

Hello, can you please clarify one point here for me. I am also new and plan on using HD Advance with a Maxtor 200GB drive and the SONY network adapter.

I have read about HD Advance but still have a few questions:

1. How do you format the drive initially? with HD Advance? or is there something else I have to have? I was expecting there to be a utility on one of the HD Advance discs?

2. From what I have seen, they give you 2 discs in the HD Advance set; a CD and a DVD. What I want to confirm is... If you want to copy/backup an original ps2 CD game to hard drive you would first boot with the HD Advance CD disc. If you want to copy/backup an original ps2 DVD game to hard drive you would first boot with the HD Advance DVD disc. Is this true? that you boot the PS2 with the HD Advance disc that corresponds to the game disk you are backing up?

3. Once a game is on the hard drive you can boot from EITHER the HD Advance CD or DVD?

Thanks so much
    Alan
  13. williej

williej Regular member

>>>>>1. How do you format the drive initially? with HD Advance? or is there something else I have to have? I was expecting there to be a utility on one of the HD Advance discs?

Don't worry, HD Advance will format your drive literally in seconds. Then, you can start ripping ...

>>>>>>>2. From what I have seen, they give you 2 discs in the HD Advance set; a CD and a DVD. What I want to confirm is... If you want to copy/backup an original ps2 CD game to hard drive you would first boot with the HD Advance CD disc. If you want to copy/backup an original ps2 DVD game to hard drive you would first boot with the HD Advance DVD disc. Is this true? that you boot the PS2 with the HD Advance disc that corresponds to the game disk you are backing up?

This doesn't matter. You can use both of them. Think of it as being a backup disc if you scratch the other. I got both of them and lo and behold, my DVD disc got scratched.

>>>>>3. Once a game is on the hard drive you can boot from EITHER the HD Advance CD or DVD?

I just answered your statement.
  14. hymes

hymes Member

Hello, thank you so much for responding....

A followup question:

I keep seeing where some software has you set "modes" if a game won't play. Does HD Advance require this or have this ability?

Thanks
    Alan
  15. teggy

teggy Regular member

Can u install home region backups on the hdd with hda. IE, a pal backup on a pal console with hdd??

Also, can u play them online via the harddrive? I am thinking of gettin a harddrive for my PS2 as the laser is defunct, and im running out of space for games lol.
  16. ducatis

ducatis Guest

well thats the whole point... if you live in Australia...Europe... we dont expect you to have any NTSC games...
  17. teggy

teggy Regular member

That didnt answer the question. I basically asked can u install backups onto a hdd and are they playable online. IE hda site says u cant install b/ups (at least I think it did) and as u back it up to a pc hdd to burn it, it will make the DNASid invalid. Does that happen when u back a game up to the ps2 HDD

Anyways, il add another question. If u have a harddrive do u need a mod chip or swap discs? I got a premod PStwo with dms4lite. Or do I not need to bother with a hdd then cuz now I got a chip.
  18. williej

williej Regular member

>>>>>>That didnt answer the question. I basically asked can u install backups onto a hdd and are they playable online. IE hda site says u cant install b/ups (at least I think it did) and as u back it up to a pc hdd to burn it, it will make the DNASid invalid. Does that happen when u back a game up to the ps2 HDD

No, you can't install a 'backup' onto your HD and no, it won't be playable online. You can install a copy of your game onto the HD, and you can patch some games, but most are not playable without the original disc. It's a legal reason why HDAdvance disabled the network adapter to go online ... just search the forums for the answer to that question.

>>>>>>>>Anyways, il add another question. If u have a harddrive do u need a mod chip or swap discs? I got a premod PStwo with dms4lite. Or do I not need to bother with a hdd then cuz now I got a chip.

You don't need a mod chip or swap disc to use your HD. You have the slim kind? ROTFL. If you do, your only option is USBExtreme. And that's no where near as compatible as HD Advance with an old PS2. Stick with your chip ... and get some dip too.
  19. fknhstile

fknhstile Member

Hey willyj,
    Where and what kind of hd can I get for my ps2, most of the forums said maxtor or seagate, but is that ne maxtor or seagate?? Are there specific models that will not work for ps2????

To all sceptics afeard to leap, get the hd advance 2.0 I just got it and it works great.
  20. fknhstile

fknhstile Member

skeptics (hurkeed in fonix werkered phor mi :))
  21. williej

williej Regular member

Here you go ... http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/

I checked out that site before I bought my Seagate. It's very reliable and will steer you in the right direction. Hope that helps!