1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

formatting an ipod hdd

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by B1gDRock, Jan 15, 2007.

1. B1gDRock

B1gDRock Regular member

alright, i got this ipod and it is kinda old. i think its a 3rd gen. but im not sure. well i cant get it to work and i always get that folder with an ! on it. every once in while though i can get it to boot up to the menu. i wanted to format it but when i plug it into my pc and click restore it says it cant complete the restoration. so i tried formating it through 'my computer' but when i right click it my pc freezes. any ideas? thanks.

edit: i fixed it. i took it apart and pulled the ribbon from the hdd. then i blew around it and tried to clean it up a bit. when i plugged it back it, the screen was all black, so i clicked restore and it actually restored it. i dont know why it didnt restore it when i tried to earlier. maybe some dust or something. well thanks anyways.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  2. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

There was probably some coroshion between the Ribon and the Hard Drive! This happens after a few years, and blowing ond trying to clean the connections usualy works! I am glad it worked for you!

~Domreis