1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formatting HD, Help!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by aznbound, Sep 21, 2004.

1. aznbound

aznbound Regular member

I was using a program to write files onto my secondary master hd when something went wrong and the pc froze. So when i restarted, my pc cant even locate the hd anymore. im new at this pc stuff so please help. is there a program that can locate the hd and format it again?

2. john179

john179 Active member

aznbound what os are you using and what type of hard drive are you using.There is may ways to re format you hard drive.Here are a few different ways it can be achieved.

1.Windows xp can format hard drives if you are using.
    2.You can format from a windows start up disk.
    3.You can format from a Diagnostic disk from the makers of your hard drive.

I like to use option 3 out of the 3 i chose to mention but there are other ways as well.If you let us know which what os and so on we can show you how.I'm just getting ready for work but if you post someone else will help if not you will be first i will reply to tomorrow with the answers.I keep meaning to do a guide on this subject myself will have to sop be lazy and get one done.Check the guides section someone may have already posted one for your needs if not i will look at getting one done myself.

Thanks
    John179

3. aznbound

aznbound Regular member

Im using the Maxtor 160 Gig HD. Im not quite sure about the other stuff since im new to these things but i was using my hd with hdloader. someone said that it formatted the HD into "os2" format. But the pc cant recognize this type of hd format.

I also tried using the maxtor floppy boot disk but after i delete everything and run the test, it always fails. Is there a program that can recognise "os2" format hard drives? thanks a lot.

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Os/2 is a format of IBM -- do a search on GOOGLE and you will find all the info you need on it - !

Should you want to go with 98% of the users -- that is Windows --- do exactely what [bold]john179[/bold]
    suggested. !

Forget about that HDloader that is a tool to format in OS/2.

Get yourself a Windows O/s disk and re-format your hard drive ! and install.

If you've made a mistake and used that HDLoader -- and you already have a Windows O/s disk-- you will have to start fresh and do a clean install.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2004
  5. aznbound

aznbound Regular member

Well, i bought my pc and it didnt come with the windows installation disk. i want to make a bootable floppy to format it but does it matter what kind of windoes i use to format it? i have xp right noww so if i use 2003, does it matter? and thanks a lot.

6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

First and foremost -- you gonna have to clean that Hd from that OS/2 -- so go to this URL :-

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

get the windows 98 boot disk and follow the instructions to make a BOOT disk. Use that boot disk to Format your HD and get rid of this OS/2.

Then enter your bios and make your CD-rom to boot first on startup .

Put your windows XP in the Cd-rom after removing the boot disk -- and reboot.

Windows XP should start up and -- you are ready to install.

7. aznbound

aznbound Regular member

I did everything u said and when i used the boot disk, i entered "fdisk.exe" but it said something like no setup disk. then i tried "format.exe" but there was always an error. can u give me easier steps on doing this please? I dont even get what u mean by enter bios on startup. and i dont have the xp installation disk. do i need it?

8. CJC

CJC Regular member

One you boot from the Floppy, all you need to type is 'fdisk' without the 's then select option 3, delete, then option 4, non-dos parition.

Then go back to main menu, then select 1 (Create Partition) then option 1, Primary Parition.

Once that is done, you will need to restart and boot to the floppy again.

Now type 'format c: /u' without 's, that willdo an uncondition format of the hdd.

Now, restart the comptuer, and press 'DEL' to enter the CMOS (could be another key, it should say, Press 'Blah' to enter setup'
    Navigate through the menus until you see boot order, and make sure CD-ROM is in number 1, then floppy nUmber 2.

You will need a windows Disk to install. So yes you will need a windows XP, 2000, 98 etc disc, depending on the version you want to install.

CJC

9. aznbound

aznbound Regular member

well i also tried just typing fdisk but it still says something like no disk or error. im guessing i have to return it seeing how it cant even connect. its probably corrupted seeing how in the middle of a file transfer, i reset the pc. thanks a lot though.

10. CJC

CJC Regular member

'No Disk'

sounds like its not detecting your hard drive.

When you turn ur comptuer on does it detect your hard drive?

CJC

11. jfpolo

jfpolo Member

If you have the windows XP cd, you don't need anything else, just put the cd and reboot, windows XP is going to analize your disk and ask you if you want to install, from there follow the prompts ( I sugest you use the NTFS sistem ), Oh, by the way, apparently you need to set the BIOS to recognize automatically your Hard Drive, if you don't know how to do it be carefull when you play with the BIOS, try first setting the HD to cable select (must of the times you need to remove the "jumper" from the back of the HD. Good luck

12. aznbound

aznbound Regular member

Nope, no programs i have tried like partition magic can detect the hd. I guess I have to return it.

13. john179

john179 Active member

aznbound when you are trying to get fdisk on i take it you are using a floppy disk.I would get a diagnostic disk from the makers of your drive.You can download off there site and it will deal with many of problem with your drive.they normally come in floppy format and are easy to find on the web sites.I would do a low format on the drive to get rid of all errors.This can take hours with the larger drives but the result is you will end up witha error free drive.You can either then format the drive to what ever os with this disk or complete with the os set up disk.I would give this a bash if this does not solve your problem then i would look at taking the drive back as it will probably be faulty.

14. SparkeyNi

SparkeyNi Member

azbound- is your hdd sata or ide?, if its sata and you corrupted your raid drivers you will have to reinstall them before windows will reconize your drive.

15. aznbound

aznbound Regular member

Its ata, 7200 rpm, maxtor 160 gig. U know when i bought the hd and nothing was on it? i just want it like that again. i dont need windows installed on it but does windows have to be installed to format it all over? im gonna try the maxtor bootdisk now.

16. john179

john179 Active member

This is all you will need to put it right you are on the right tracks my friend.

17. aznbound

aznbound Regular member

I just tried the floppy boot disk and when i restarted my pc with it, it was loading and then it said "cant find dos"?

18. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

aznbound, This is a secondary HD, not the primary HD with your operating system on it. If I read this right, click on My Computer and see if the HD is listed there. If YES, right click the drive and pick format there. It doesn't have anything to do with your primary HD or operating system. If that doesn't work you can try this but its a little more work. You need a Windows 98 or ME emergency startup disk. Open up your computer and disconnect the Primary HD. Put the secondary HD in its place as Master. Reboot with the start up floppy installed. When the floppy is done loading, you should see an A prompt(DOS).
    Type Format c: and hit enter. It will warn you that all data will be erased- type Y and it should format the drive. When its done, shut off power, put both HD's back the way they were and reboot. I think this will work.

Jerry

19. aznbound

aznbound Regular member

Well, like I said, the hd cant be booted and I cant see it in my computer. when i tried the boot disk, i typed in FDISK and it said "no fixed disks present" and alot of other commands like FORMAT C says "required perameters not present." any help on this? thanks a lot too.

20. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

So your saying you can't boot off the main HD now either?? I thought the problem was with the secondary HD, not the main master drive. The emergency Windows 98 or ME startup disk should load enough drivers to boot to dos and run your CD ROM. If XP was on your system and was using NTSF file system, you need the XP install CD to get things back to normal. You need to format off the install CD.
    Also when you type format c: don't forget the :)).
    Jerry
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2004