1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum Rules Question

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Crazykid3, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Crazykid3

Crazykid3 Regular member

95% of homebrew, update files, downgraders, emulator, etc, etc require some type of file that they "legally" cannot distribute. For example, every Firmware upgrade require the eboot.pbp, but D_A won't include it. gpSP requires the gba.bios, but won't include it. Even programs like the GUI Pandora's Battery Creator requires the user to download the 1.50 and 3.71 eboots. Would I be breaking any rules by uploading these homebrew,firmware stuff, etc to third-party servers (such as rapidshare) and then posting the links to make it easier for newbies to download and use?

2. narutfan

narutfan Member

who cares?!? didn't even know you need a bios for a gba emulator. post it anyway. save me some time googling it. :))

3. bigcuz000

bigcuz000 Regular member

The gba.bios can not be shared legaly through forums due to its copyrighted nature. You have to obtain a copy of the bios from "your" gba. Piracy is wrong mmmmmkay

4. Crazykid3

Crazykid3 Regular member

And yet if you google gba.bios, the very first link is one that takes you directly to a site thats hosts the file. The MD5 checksum values even match to the value specified in the read.txt. You can't tell me piracy is bad. You wanna talk about copyrighted nature, there'd be no custom Firmware or homebrew apps if everyone followed that law. I just wanna make these links availabe to newbies. So all they have to do is simple copy a single folder, containing everything they need, and boom, they got their app! Is it so wrong for me to want this without the complication of: "step 1, download this, step 2, extract and rename this, step 3, copy this here, run this, now copy the newly create file here and run that". Simple and easy. Thats why we have Winstaller and Easy Installer programs.

And bigcuz: I wasn't asking your permission or a lecture on piracy. I'm asking an admin or senior member for permission to post "links" to third-party server. Server, which by the way, are located in third-world countries where they are no anti-piracy laws or copyright infringement crap.

5. narutfan

narutfan Member

that last part made me laugh. i think thats crazykids way of saysing f-you!! lol. but in a polite way. lol.

6. Crazykid3

Crazykid3 Regular member

No comment to that. On a different note, after rereading the Forum Rules. It clearly states no DIRECT LINKS to copywrighted material, HOWEVER it does state that I can link to sites containing copyrighted material. Now, since rapidshare does not offer any search feature (all rapidshare links must be direct), does this fall under their prohibited rules. Now, if I link to a rapidshare download, you'll notice it doesn't immediately give you the download. You must choose between free user or paid subscriber. free users must enter a four alpha-numerical code to even get access to the download. Does this fall under direct link or link to site rules??? Admin, what is the correct answer?

7. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Anything that has to do w/ copyright files - no direct links are allowed - you are correct Crazykid3.
    I would include rapidshare as a direct link so no it would not be allowed here. For me and I'm sure others here it's a direct link - no code or waiting needed - straight to the download.

edit to clarify - rapidshare, megaupload links are allowed just not ones to copy right material.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008