1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forums now show a "Processing message" dialog after posting

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by Ketola, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

Forums now show a "Processing message" dialog after posting. This is to avoid accidental duplicate posts.

The message disappears automatically after the post has been processed and submitted. If you experience problems with the message, please post here. Also please let me know the browser type and version you are using as well as your your operating system and version.

2. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

just noticed that. sounds like a good idea :p

3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Nice one. I was slightly taken a back by it at first, but yeh, the idea is good now I knwo what purpose it serves ;-)

4. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

yeah it was a little shocking at first. i had posted no more than 2 minutes before and there was no "processing message". i thought something was wrong with the site till i saw this.

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

does this work in PM's also? just sent a few PM's and didnt notice this???

6. KolaMik

KolaMik Member

All good. There is much duplicate posts on the site. Make hard to find what for you look :)

edit: sorry my English lose me :(

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok guys. i just posted a link to a scan i did in th escan thread and it posted 4 times???? i didnt get the processing message icon when i clicked on post reply. it took about 30 seconds or so and then there was 4 post of the same thing.

8. Ketola

No. I didn't add it to PMs since the duplicate posting and processing times aren't really an issue with them. If needed/wanted, the processing display can be added to PMs as well.

9. Ketola

Sounds very strange indeed. Could you please post a link to the thread (and leave the duplicate messages intact, if possible)? I'll try and check what happened.

10. Jannejt

Jannejt Moderator Staff Member

looks like it's this thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/540688/3280970

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@Ketola

sorry i tried to fixe the post by just editing them out and adding something new to it. but they are still there. here is the link to it.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/540688/3280970

edit to add: no need for the Pm's to have the processing message added to it. i was just curious about the whole thing since i hadnt seen it when i first posted??

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I experienced this new feature prior to reading this thread. While very nice my initial reaction was "it's way too slow". Now i've read this thread i see why it's designed that way and what for; in which case, many thanks, hopefully this'll put paid to the dreaded multiposts.

13. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

I like Creaky was taken back by this because of the delay it has got with it, but am totally for it now that i have read this thread and do see the upside to this and it will defenitly help with the double posting issue we have had lately.

14. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

Lately? Its always been here, as far as I can tell.

15. Ketola

I thought about adding a (pseudo) status update to the display to let the users know what exactly is being done when each message is posted. Automatically tagging all software, glossary etc. items, as well as parsing the UBB tags requires quite a few regular expressions to be run against the message.

Hopefully the message parser can be somewhat optimized to reduce the wait. I'd like to stress that the "Processing message" message itself doesn't force you to wait one second longer than it actually takes to process the post. =)

16. freedom2

freedom2 Regular member

yes turn it off....................

its too too slow......................

dont care for it.............

17. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

In addition to my post above i would like to suggest that this processing dialog box be also on when posting on articles i have come across to many people double posting on news articles.

18. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

this message is partly to test the new feature ;) and other partly to say it is a good innovation, even though i barely post anymore i used to have my fair share of "duplicate posts"

19. xPhant0mx

xPhant0mx Member

I've recently joined, and I think this is a very useful feature. Normally I double post a few times a week, but this will definitely prevent me from doing so. Thanks.

20. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

Nice idea, seems to work well!