1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forums running under load-balancing setup

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by dRD, Aug 28, 2004.

1. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Ok, finally after two years of planning, we've implemented the first stage of our load-balancing project and since Thursday night, our forums (not DXC forum yet) have been running on two load balanced servers, which means that the overall responsiveness of the forums should be much better now -- and this will improve even further once we get remaining site portions to run under the same setup.

The biggest problem at the moment is our database server (MySQL running on RHES3), which is taking pretty bad beating during the peak times and as the MySQL clustering is still in its infancy, the only solution is really to replace the current P4/2.8GHz / 1.5GB box with faster one. This will most likely happen in next couple of weeks, once we decide what type of hardware would be suitable -- if you have experience with MySQL benchmarking, we're happy to hear from you. Basically the idea is now to swap the current box with Dual Xeon 2.4GHz / 4GB box and see what happens. Quad Opteron or similar would be ideal, but unfortunately our ISP doesn't offer such hardware as of now.

Summary: the webservers should handle the load much better now and even better within next couple of days, after the main site is also load-balanced, but there are still times when the system is dog-slow due database server's reponse times. Additionally, some glitches are bound to happen while we're moving the servers and services around in our little server cluster, so if you notice something weird, please reply to this thread or send us feedback via the feedback form (under the "about us" tab).
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Petteri Pyyny
    Webmaster
    http://AfterDawn.com/

Please read our guides before posting questions! Guides are available here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/[/small]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hey good news!

Thanks for the time and effort boss.

Now we just need to figure out what kind of "persuasion" would get your ISP to give you a quad Opteron. You could always show them a picture of me and tell them "If I don't get my quad Opterons this guy's going to date your daughter!" :p

3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

That was too funny Neph!!!

Good to hear improvements are in the works. That might explain why I was geting mail comment every time a thread was updated instead of the old system of only when last checked.

I must admit that most of what you said about two load balanced serves went over my head. I am assuming that its two major computers handling the work instead of one. All you now is a small supper computer and Afterdawn will take over the internet.

Google might be one of the best search engines, but soon Afterdawn will be the best help locations.