1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fragmented files and burning

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Rushman1, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Rushman1

Rushman1 Member

I noticed today that after backing up a file it was fragmented. I wondered if this could account for some disc errors when burning.I had it stored on an external drive so I set up a test to try to determine how this was happening. I read all the help files on XP and armed with that started with a newly Defragmented drive.I found that by drag and droping it to it's final folder fragmented it.As long as it stayed in the file path it was written to it was ok. After several test I found that D/D would fragment the file into as little as 2 and as many as 9 fragments.(analize)I have concluded that if I defragment after getting the file to the last folder that it may burn with fewer errors. After reading the help files I am convinced that when you go to burn you need a defragmented file to burn from. ( XP allowed me to just defrag the file in question did not have to spend the time for the whole drive)I dont know if it really matters about this when burning, but I am just passing it on. Anyone else checked into this?

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i'm no dvd decryptor expert but when you say fragmented, you sure you don't mean file chunks, ie (i don't know the correct terminology off top of my head) is it split into 1GB chunks. If so that's deliberate as the FAT (or FAT32 , can't remember exactly) filesystem can't handle single files over 1GB. If i'm barking up the wrong hosepipe pls shout !

edit - oops i think this is 4gb per single files (it's too early!)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  3. Rushman1

Rushman1 Member

I'm just talking about the basic Defragment function. There may be a play on terms here.I'm not trying to split hairs between terms like volume's and files and ect.Just movie files and fragmenting when they are moved.
    thanks for the reply
    Rushman

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

A fragmented hard drive can cause errors on backups. Defrag your hard drive when it needs it and you will have one less reason to get errors on your DVDs.