1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fragmented files?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by avina612, Mar 5, 2005.

1. avina612

avina612 Member

What is a fragmented file? How did a file become "fragmented"? My computer tells me I have several fragmented files and I need to "defragment the volume". Should I do it? Will it help my computer?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

any time you load/delete a file/program it leaves empty spots on the harddrive. defrag consolidates all files/programs to get rid of the empty spots so that the hard drive head reads the info faster & less wear on the drive. so yes defrag your drive at least 1 or 2 times a month

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

hey ddp any recommendations on a defrag program? I've read articles accusing windows defrag of being super slow and doing a poor job. is it worth using something different?

4. ddp

1 of my customers swears by diskeeper lite in that it is a hell of a lot faster than defrag but i haven't used it. don't think there is a free version out there as i checked when customer lost his but i got lucky in getting a cd that had it on it. pm me if want

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Diskeeper is an excellent for defragging. Windows XP comes with the "baby" version of Diskeeper. I think the latest full version is 9. I have version 8, and it has served me well.

6. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

do you know how to access disk defragment??? and if i were you i would also use disk clean up, (assuming you dont) try to use disk defragment and disk clean up atleast once a week.,,

7. avina612

avina612 Member

I went ahead and defraged the files. It took a while, but I got it done. I notice now that my computer runs like new! Now, you are saying I should use "disk clean up"? Does that do the same thing? And both should be done once a week?

8. ddp

download ccleaner from ccleaner.com as it does same functions as disk cleanup but more & less work for you to do. ccleaner cleans all the crap out of cookies, temp, temporary internet & other folders

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  9. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

Yeah,, their kinda like the same thing, except disk defrag is more on the hardrive, where as disk clean up cleans up lots of common used things, run them both atleast once a week, and it should only take a total of 2 mins to finish them both, after the first time...

10. ddp

depends on how much stuff on hd will determine how long defrag runs. run ccleaner as it does more than disk cleanup. do ccleaner/disk cleanup once a week & do defrag about 1 or 2 times a month

11. djscoop

djscoop Active member

hey ddp on ccleaner do you have it delete everything? or are there certain files you don't want to delete

12. ddp

you can uncheck what you don't want cleaned but i usually leave it at default settings

13. avina612

avina612 Member

So if I run CCLeaner it will delete useless files? Nothing important? Doing this will help my computer run better?? And you say CCLeaner should be run once a week?

14. ddp

i run that about once a week with no problems i know of

15. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I haven't run it yet, but I let it analyze my computer, and I noticed it wants to delete a bunch of IE settings. will it also delete the cookies that remember passwords and automatically log you on, say to aD for example?

16. ddp

yes