1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame ghosting - wrong deinterlace?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by avoidz, Dec 12, 2003.

1. avoidz

avoidz Member

I recently encoded a movie which has some "ghosting" throughout the frames, where two frames are blended into one frequently.

[​IMG]

The encode time was also a long 5 1/2 hours, when it usually takes only 2-3.

I'm not sure what is causing it; maybe the wrong deinterlace filter in Gordian Knot? Or something to do with the way the film was originally encoded as a DVD. I used the Field Deinterlace I usually use.

DVD2AVI reports the disc as: 16.9, PAL 25fps, Interlaced.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2003
  2. Minion

Minion Senior member

If this is From a Retail DVD then it Should be Progressive because 99% of Movies are Shot on film Includeing this one..But you are right it does look Interlaced and it looks Like Bad Field Blending...I allways get Better results Useing the "Smart Bob" Filter to deinterlace and the Line after the deinterlace in the AVS script add the Sharpen Filter, Just Put this in
    Sharpen(0.75)
    After the Bob deinterlace in the Script but before any Resizeing....Let us Know how it works out...Cheers

3. avoidz

avoidz Member

Previewing the video in DVD2AVI, I definitely noticed interlacing effects on this PAL disc.

I'll try the other deinterlace filter, thanks :) What about the Separate Fields filter, or is that similar to Field Deinterlace?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2003
  4. Minion

Minion Senior member

The Seperate Fields Filter is Simular to the "Smart Bob" filter accept that what the "Seperate Fields" filter does is Take one Field and throw the other one away so each Frame is one Field , The Smart Bob filter does the same thing accept it interpolates the Missing Field from the One that it keeps giveing a true Progressive Frame, it Does Produce a Slight Blurring which Most deinterlacers do but if you add the Sharpen filter it helps get rid of any Blurring and Produces a Better Quality Picture compared to most other deinterlacers....Cheers

5. avoidz

avoidz Member

That's some good information - thanks :)