1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free solution to play backups.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by vxooxv, Aug 17, 2004.

1. vxooxv

vxooxv Member

I've sat back and read forum after forum. From playing backups using swap disc, mods and flip tops to the whole HD Loader & Advanced to now HD Dumb and on and on and on. There seems to be a billion different combo's to achieve these goals, however correct me if I'm wrong there is NO free way of playing your backups – or storing and then playing back your originals.

You may be able to obtain and use HD Loader in a free way (memory card exploit), however correct me if I'm wrong, there is no totally free way to play your backups. At some point you have to purchase swap disc, or gameshark or action reply or mod chip correct?

Even if you want to use HD Loader or HD Dumb, or HD Loader Advanced, you still have to purchase either that disc or a way to boot up a cracked disk, which still requires a way to play the backups correct?

Is there a totally free way one can play backups, with the exception of purchasing the dvd/cd -r's required and the hardware/software to burn etc..??

It seems like this is a continuous circle, in order to play a backup you need to purchase something. I have found no free solution or open source to write to either cd or dvd in order to somehow play my backups. On the same token, no totally free way to gain and use a copy of, or even cracked version of HD Loader or variation, because no way to boot the cd w/o purchasing something. You can't even use the memory card exploit, because again, you must have swap disc or something to load... right??

Someone out there must know of something.

2. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

yes....you are right, you will need to buy something to get your backups to play, or you could borrow a swap disc, or cheat disc, or get someone with a chipped ps2 to put the mem card exploit on your mem card, or get the ,max exploit save, but you need a max drive for that. so basicly, if you can't beg steel or borrow to get your backups working, then you will have to fork out some cash!

3. vxooxv

vxooxv Member

What exactly is the max exploit and what is it for?

Are you referring to a max(tor) HD? I have several of those external and internal available ranging in various sizes. In order to use those for say the HD Loader trick, I still will need to (purchase something along down the road) no?

4. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

the .max exploit save is a file that I and a couple of other people made using the max drive usb pen drive, it is the mem card exploit in .max format, you load it to your mem card, then providing you have a psx disc with an id# that is in the list, you can load backups just using your psx game as a trigger disc

5. vxooxv

vxooxv Member

Yes I was reading about that; however wouldnt' I need a way to boot the cdr info onto the MC?

6. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

no that is the point of the max drive save it is a system settings save that has the exploit loaded into it already, all you have to do is download the .max save for your region, then transfer it from your pc using the usb pen drive, and un-crush it to your mem card.

then you can just use a psx game that has an id# from the list of disc id's on the site you get the .max save from

7. vxooxv

vxooxv Member

Sounds like the perfect solution for me.

Would you mind providing me some further detailed instructions, or pointing me to the right place.

PM me if you like!

8. KainX2

KainX2 Guest

but the thing i need to know is can you boot ps2 dvd and cd backups like this

9. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

you can get the pal .max save and title id's list here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/zxspeky/ I also have other downloads and guides there, all you need to do is download the save, transfer it to your max drive, then un-crush it to your mem card.

once it is on your mem card just follow the guide for the cogswap loader, which is also on my site.

and you can load dvd and cd backups.

one more thing you must use a flip top or slide card to do the swaps.

10. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

No.
    But A while back someone attempted on cutting out their original ps2 top and someway somehow created a hinge that made it open like a fliptop.. i think the name of the thread was DIY Fliptop or something...So i guess in a way you can try to make your own fliptop and save your money on that and just purchase the swapmagic discs... but still the answer to your question would be no.
    "To Get Some, You've Got To Give Some" simple as that

11. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

jdilla,

check out my site in the post above yours!

12. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

wow man.. thats nice..i was thinking of doing that also with my spare top... but what did you use to cut out the plastic of the top?

13. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

14. vxooxv

vxooxv Member

Thanks man, I'll keep checking; nice work!

Just a touch of advice for us navigating to your site. You have a LOT of useful tidbits, however it would be nice to actually have a brief description of what all the stuff does. I mean creating your own flippy is obvious, however a lot of the downloads and guides you have are very helpful, only if you know what they are used for.

That seems to be most of everyones problem, they want to accomplish something ie.. back up games, play back ups etc etc.. and there are a bunch of tools and stuff to do such, however no connection between the actual tool or method and what it actually does... ie.. HD Loader: This is used for this...
    Your such and such exploit,, :this is used for this in conjunction with this and this to do this...

Keep up the great work... hope you don't mind me referring a few friends to your site!

15. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

ok the full guide is up now, vxooxv, I will try to put together some mini guides for the site, with links to the files needed, so that noobies can understand it better, and will know exactly what they need.

for now though anyone who uses this forum can find most of the info here and then get what they need from my site. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/zxspeky/index.htm

if anyone does find the flippy guide usefull, and intends to make there own,let everyone here know, it might help others to know how easy it is.

16. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

Great Work man.. i checked back to see if you have posted up pictures of your tools that you used, but they are not up yet, as soon as you show me what kind of tools you use, im getting busy on making my own fliptop.and one more thing about your SM3dvd.zip file, is that the sm3dvd disc.. image?? man i hope so..

17. chuckp99

chuckp99 Member

Your destroying your disc motor with a flip top though. So the only way to do it right is to pay for something "modchip" is your best bet causes no damage to your PS2.

18. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

jdilla, it is a disc image, and I have put a list of tools on the guide page, follow the link.

explain how using a flip top destroys the disc motor, I have been using one for over a year, and had no problems, I've heard of far more people having their consoles f*#@ed up from mod chips.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2004
  19. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

why do modchip guys always put their nose in fliptop threads?? i'm never going to understand that.. if the subject isnt what you are intrested in, why the hell reply on a subject that you are just hating on??

pay no mind to that guy zxspeky. continue working hard on your site, because its a great site. just please, put pictures of your tools that you use, and maybe if you can, you should scan the actual Fliptop trace out sheet that you use and post it there too, so we can just print it out. but maybe im asking for too much.. but hopefully you get your tools description or pictures up soon..i will try this. and about the swapmagicdvd3.iso i can just burn that with decrypter right? and does it actually work like the original smdvd3?

20. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

the sm3dvd is an alternative to dvdloader, it is smcd converted to dvd, and it is used in the same way as dvdloader, but it very rarely needs a toc refresh.

if you want something for loading games you will need the mem card exploit.