1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Window's Security Software! :- ) *UPDATED*

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by rav009, Jan 22, 2006.

1. m4a1

m4a1 Member

Hi,

I recently ordered a new laptop with vista home premium and i am wondering what would be a good anti virus and anti spyware/malware/adware etc. program. From your experiences what would you suggest to be good from the free programs listed on the first page. I currently have avg anti-virus and a downloaded version of pest patrol. im thinking of either getting avg antivirus/spyware or the windows security but i dont really know about windows security...:/

what do you guys think?

thanks

2. muslim

muslim Guest

m4a1, Try Norton Internet Security .... at least you will have a bit of everything in one software :)

3. potterboi

potterboi Member

hi everyone.. i was just wondering.. these programs & their descriptions have been posted way back 2 years ago.. are they still the most recommended programs today?
    i currently have avast 4 on my pc, but i'm thinking maybe i'd just go back to avg's free edition since it doesn't slow down my pc as much as avast does.. would that be a good idea? >.<

4. Docarut

Docarut Member

I am using PC Tools and doesn't seem to slow things down. Check out the below website that has category listing for all freeware:

www.snapfiles.com

Doc

5. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

AVG free is still great IMHO, it updates itself every day!

6. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I just jumped on the bandwagon, after reading page one very nice thread, the only thing I disagree with is zone alarm, I tried everything to get my pc speed back, zone alarm slowed my pc dowm almost by 50%, I tought maybe it was just me, but read on other threads it did it to many others, not all, some had no problems, but most did.

7. mpenney

mpenney Regular member

Can I get some suggestions for all the stuff mentioned here but for Vista. AVG and most everything else I checked are not compatable with vista.

If i changed the compatability mode to run w/ xp instead of Vista will they work or does the shareware need to be compatability with Vista 32Home Edition?

8. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

AVG Does work with vista but if you want an alternative you can try avast antivirus.

9. blnd13

blnd13 Member

I was just browsing along to see what new Security Related products are out and most effective and i ended up running into this thread! But like another mentioned its a little out of date 24. April 2007 if im not mistaken.

I figured i would atleast make an attempt to see if we can possibly have this updated by rav009 himself or other members who feel they are able to correctly update the list in a new thread or here!?

Just wanted to try tossing that out there!! ....

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  10. Janzzen

Janzzen Member

11. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

Really is great guide. I just installed Avast!4 home edition and Comodo firewall, while both are still new to me I have great expectations based on reviews and what I have got to use them thus far. I gave up on Trend-micro 2007 after crashes and system errors and a terrible hog of system resources.

12. Libid21

Libid21 Member

Through my experiences of computer security, I find that the best combination for my computer is AVG Anti-Spyware, Malwarebytes' Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, Mozilla Firefox (Adblock PLUS), Spyware Blaster, Windows Defender, and Avira AntiVir.

13. Qorppu

Qorppu Member

Hi there.

I have some comments.

AVG doesn't update anymore,and you even cant get the scanner without the full version, so you shouldn't advice to download it :)

Also, you should mention bout those toolbars you get with ZoneAlarm and Comodo, they are a part of the Ask.com family. Those toolbars should NOT be installed.

And well, to be honest Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware are almost useless, they used to be good (or atleast Ad-aware used to be) about 2-4 years ago. But today... Nooo. You better use online scanners and malwarebytes anti-malware.

Cheers. :)

14. tucker001

tucker001 Regular member

AVG is still free you just have to update to the 8.0 version which is at free.grisoft.com.

15. Qorppu

Qorppu Member

Yeah it is. But you cant use the scanner enymore without the 8.0 (I used 'full version' instead of 8.0, sorry).

And in my opinion no-one shouldn't use AVG 8.0. It has found many false positives, even some windows' own files!

But yeah, your own desicion :)

Cheers.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  16. elliott

elliott Regular member

I haven't had any real problems, the new avg has link scanner and anti spyware all bundled into one and I use windows vista ultimate. the only issue I have had is with netflic online streaming player it sometimes boots the registry key for allowing me to play videos off the site.
    beyond that I have never felt safer, and all scans work some need to be configured to auto heal, you can do that in the settings/preferences

17. elliott

elliott Regular member

@mpenny
    here is my current list of security software if your running Vista you really shouldn't install another Firewall I know some people are gonna disagree but that's my two cents if you do install one use COMODO FIREWALL PRO 3.0 it won't negatively impact your systems performance. I use AVG 8.0 FREE EDITION, and SPYWARE BLASTER 4.1, configure WINDOWS DEFENDER to do scheduled scans and to do a full scan not quick scan defender is pretty good not perfect but what is, install Vista Service Pack 1 if using XP get SP 3 best way to install these service packs is download the full install versions from windows downloads not Windows Updates makes for a more through and complete installation. I also use Yahoo toolbar for the CA (Computer Associates) Anti-Spy tool once you have that installed you can uninstall the toolbar go to program files find Anti spy it's still there right click and put a shortcut on your desktop. You could also use Google Pack install Norton Security Scan & Spyware Doctor for free the Norton scans weekly and updates automatically gives you an extra layer of protection in case Avg misses something, Spyware Doctor actively protects but it slowed my system down. You can also use ThreatFire free from PC TOOLS, btw they have free antivirus, free firewall and provide good security however the impact on your system can be substantial. My Hot Picks are
    AVG 8.0, SPYWARE BLASTER 4.1, WINDOWS DEFENDER, COMODO FIREWALL PRO 3.0

18. FredBun

FredBun Active member

avg8.0 does everything just fine, I use webroots spysweeper, windows defender, have used those three for years, never a problem, last several months I did add comodo, I removed it from my computer, it kinda gets a little wacky sometimes and a pain to straighten out, but kept it on my kids computers cause kids are more dangerous lol, and so far all is well.

19. tucker001

tucker001 Regular member

Here's what I use AVG 8.0, Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, and a Broadband Router, run as a limited user, and use save computing habits/

20. elliott

elliott Regular member

I forgot to mention I use a router most routers have a built in firewall eliminating the need for a firewall other than the one built in to windows and with computing cycles less is more.