1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Window's Security Software! :- ) *UPDATED*

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by rav009, Jan 22, 2006.

1. rav009

rav009 Active member

@Borhan,

Cheers mate, thank you for the kind words :)

@Niobis,

Hey buddy, glad you could find somthing you like, I also thought that was a real gem, one of the most essential firefox/IE plugins :)

@zippyd,

The whole point of my thread here was to use freeware apps, not paid for, the AV's on that link are great, but not free, AVG free or Avast should be good enough for anyone :)

Just MHO :-D

(BTW, I now use Kaspersky, costs me 20 english pounds a year, not worth it)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

there are several free apps in that list which makes it even more interesting to see where they compare to the commercial ones.....IMO

3. rav009

rav009 Active member

4. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

im using Pc-Cillin 06 and AVG free, along with spyware blaster and ccleaner, havent had any malware/spyware or viruses in the 6 months ive had my laptop ;)

5. FartDude

FartDude Guest

hey rav009, i found something interesting that you want to add to your guide here, http://www.opendns.com/, ive been using this for the past few months, and it has already came in handy.

6. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

Rav, have you heard of CastleCops.com before? http://www.castlecops.com/pirt
    "Fried Phish
    Phishing Incident Reporting and Termination (PIRT) Squad

A global phishing termination operation launched by CastleCops and Sunbelt Software, the volunteer PIRT Squad is comprised of folks who report phish, investigate phish, and actively work on phish takedown and termination (original concept by Robin Laudanski). PIRT is funded by CastleCops. Become a PIRT Squad terminator by reporting phish today!"
    That is just a small part of what they do, and they like hunting down spammers in general.

7. elliott

elliott Regular member

I have to agree with this list the most essential parts are AVG FREE, SPYWARE BLASTER, LAVASOFT adaware se personal, windows defender, and zone alarm firewall if you do alot of p2p downloading use avast home antivirus. You can also download and install ClamAv as it only runs on demand as a backup scanner, best way to use it, turn off avg or your current antivirus, open clam update it and scan your hard drive this gives you a nice back up system also install peerguardian 2 it will add a layer to your security that is needed for all even if you don't use p2p.

8. rav009

rav009 Active member

Hi elliott,

Never turn off your AV, if you want to use ClamAV as a back up scanner I think it would be better to actually run it in safe mode :-D

EDIT: Typed AvtiVir instead of ClamAV.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  9. elliott

elliott Regular member

I do it all the time about once a month just to run a secondary scan but I should have added when I do I also disconnect from the internet after updating I did use antivir at one time with no conflicts with avg as a secondary scanner don't remember why I changed to clam but u are right with antivir I didn't have to turn off my active av from avg I think I am going back to that nice reply thanks

10. rav009

rav009 Active member

Hey there,

In that case its fine, its always great to have second opinions on whats going on inside there, I scan with Ad Aware, Spybot, Ewido, Kaspersky and Outpost pro Anti Spyware every month, if I feel like it I throw in a TrendMicro Online Scan :)

Glad you enjoyed the guide.

Cheers.

11. legend999

legend999 Regular member

12. bass073

bass073 Member

I know you can run several ad/mal-ware SCANNERS in tandem as long as you only have 1 RealTime defense prog running.

What i was wondering if its a bad idea to Run Spybot S&D along w/ Spyware Blaster (the prog you recomended). You didn't have it (SPybot) listed as a RT defended but doesn't it qualify as such since I'm using its Spybot S&D Helper (IE Bad Download Blocker) & "Resident Tea Timer" options?

If so, do you think spybot is good enough or should I switch my active defender and just use Spybot as a scanner by deactivating the extra options?

13. elliott

elliott Regular member

I think you answered your own question. I used to use spybot but it isn't as good as it used to be My active spyware scanner is the new just released Windows Defender which has more options than the beta, and I use Avorax which someone else suggested it scans at boot up works great and fast before most malware can load during the boot up process awesome product and as a stand alone scanner Lavasoft
    Adaware Personal, it is true not to run more than one active scanner due to the possiblity of conflicts but with AvoraX and Windos Def I am running them together with no problems. I also switched from AVG Free Antivirus to Avast Home Free edition because it does on the fly warnings about trojans on websites. Good luck

14. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

Hi rav, thanks a lot for taking the time out on posting about firewalls, as i'll be a lot safer in the future!

I saw your post about firewalls inc. WinXP that its only useful/useless one-way, as im still learnin about the whole AV/SPYWARE i wouldnt know what to do if somethin terrible happened, thats when i noticed somethin about ZoneAlarms which is pretty neat, as you do-you only read the documentation later on & i found this quote in it which i found puzzling?

So i went to the website forum & found the answer after a while!
    here is the link, i shortened it for tidiness: http://tinyurl.com/vqpff. Click on the post with 100% (pretty neat as it narrows it down & if you want have to look at the others)
    but they told me it should be safe!
    Maybe you've come across this & let others know as i thought i'd let you know. Cheers.

PS. what happens after the 15day trial, you just update it yourself like AVG?
    i might have answered my own question, but its still nice to know!

ddp already answered that in the next post, thanks again!

Regards
    Norm9

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2006
  15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

16. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

Cheers ddp,

As the trial ends in 2 days, it went in quick so thanks v.much for the link.

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no problem, teach & learn

18. rav009

rav009 Active member

Hey Norm9,

I linked to the free version, but during installation you chose to test the trial out, I assume.

After the trial finishes, it becomes the free version :)

Glad your sorted now anyway.

19. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I love this thread, you've taken me off Nortons and I'm a believer.
    One problem

edit---The rest is edited, I asked a dumb question and answered it myself.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  20. rav009

rav009 Active member

Thanks Deadrum33! :)

Appreciate the feedback matey.