1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Window's Security Software! :- ) *UPDATED*

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by rav009, Jan 22, 2006.

1. henryz123

henryz123 Member

ow k, you do not use anti-spy?

2. rav009

rav009 Active member

Sorry, I forgot to add that. Re-check the post.

3. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

Rav,

Have you or anyone come across with this on AVG-Anti-Spware.
    Im tryin to delete trackin cookies after a scan, it said somethin about error trying to delete.

This problem came about when i daily update AVG FREE, S&D, AD-AWARE & i tried to update AVG-AS it took an awful long time to open & still an hour-glass 10mins later & re-installed it (i dont know if this is important but i d/clicked instead of r/clickin & got me in-i cant explain why??) & had to Run as... is the only way i can get in??

Edit: i r/clicked this time instead of d/clicking
    Any ideas anyone, as i thought i had cleared one problem & got another one !

Thanks for any help-much appreciated.

PS. I hadnt realised that about AVG-AS on realtime scanning & using Spyware blaster as well on previous posts, thanks for that info & anymore coming.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2007
  4. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

RAV, i think you might find this link useful FW Leak Tester

adding this in to the post: If you run XP you need to disable NetBIOS & NetBeui as they can reveal private information about your system Link

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2007
  5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Strangely that site is offering an install version of the grc.com leaktest. There is an online version HERE
    Either follow the link there to go to the test after reading the info on that page or this link to test. http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2007
  6. shuboy00

shuboy00 Member

Quick question...AVG Anti-Spyware has a file in quarantine. It is of high risk, but the app tells me "All objects in the quarantine are encrypted and can do no harm to your computer." But it also gives me the option to "Remove finally." Do I want to leave the object in quarantine, or should I "remove" it?
    Thanks.

7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

you definitely want to REMOVE it after you do run CCleaner reboot and run the spyware program in "Safe Mode"

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2007
  8. shuboy00

shuboy00 Member

before i remove, (it gave me one of those "there is no turning back" messages) by looking at the file path (C:\WINDOWS\browser.exe) can i tell if its something important that I need...meaning if i remove that file that is infected, will i be screwed? It is infected with Hijacker.Small...
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

your will be fine removing it , it won't delete the file just the virse

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2007
  10. rav009

rav009 Active member

You'll be fine removing it, its a worm.

11. shuboy00

shuboy00 Member

Thanks bro.

12. Vtroubled

Vtroubled Guest

Got a problem,hope u guys can help me

I have finish scannin my computer with the kaspersky but how should i go about removin the infected file?

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

highlight the bad file and click delete

14. Ank_3

Ank_3 Member

hey

i just did an avast scan and there was about 100 items it could not scan , most were pass-protected archives but, one was a decompressable bomb, should i be concerned?

15. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Say Rav, ever thought of adding Mozilla Thunderbird to the list as an Outlook alternative, with a built in spam/phishing filter ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2007
  16. Vtroubled

Vtroubled Guest

Need some help here....

I'm usin kespersky anti virus n it detected some hidden object... Can't seem to detect wat the hidden object is,wanna ask if any1 wat program shld i use to detect n remove the hidden object?

Thanks in advance

17. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

rav009: i want to give u my recommendation on a firewall. Go with Kerio Personal Firewall or Kerio WinRoute FW. I tried every single FW on your list out, from the freeware to the commercial versions. None of them come close to Kerio IMHO. I'm using KPF v4.2.2 and it blocks everything. Lets you block firewall ports on incoming traffic, outgoing traffic from firewall to certain remote ports, applications from launching. popup blocker. ActiveX monitor. Ban domain names or individual IP addys. I could go on & on about it.
    What tells me its the best is i've run a worm against my desktop over the net using all the FW. A few detected it, but only Kerio was able to stop it entirely. I also brute force attacked a weak application (Outlook) while it was checking mail & all the FW except Commdo & Kerio left the program vulnerable with an open port. Zone Alarm performed very good; i don't like the interface. Kerio has an easy to understand layout. Read the docs a bit & you'll see everything is where it should be.

Of all the firewalls, if you want the best try Kerio. Learn how FW work, learn how ports work & what a DDOS/syn flood are. As long as you aren't running any apps which open ports that you might need, block them all. Only let a few trusted apps like your P2P/Bittorrent client open ports & even then monitor the traffic to see if someone is trying to access the other ports. With a bit of learning, all of us can run the best protection.

I found a list of common trojan horses and the ports they use here. If you run the program called Active Ports 1.4 from here, it will show you which ports are active & communicating with the Internet or your home network.

18. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

HOSTS file explained (really easy to read)

woah the past 2 weeks has been kind of crazy. Ever since I installed Kerio firewall i've been researching security. I thought by reinstalling windows (using Winborg v5) it had increased my d/l & u/l speeds. Nope, it was all that ICMP flooding to my connection. Just by installing a Firewall & setting the rules, i've stopped thousands (not kidding) of attempts to portscan & break into my computer.

If you want to really protect yourself, Google on "port scan" and "ICMP flood". Setting up a good Firewall is not easy. If it was, millions of people wouldn't get hacked every week.

ICMP Traffic = hackers
    Stopping DDOS Attacks (linuxjournal.com attacked)
    ICMP explained
    more ICMP stuff

Your average 15yo teenager can fraggle, smurf & do other nasty things to huge computer networks. So why wouldn't they f*** with your PC? Think about it.

OpenDNS FartDude mentioned this. As long as their DNS doesn't filter any gaming sites or pr0n i like to see....well adding another layer of IP blocking is good.

There is another security threat related to certain ports on your computer. Block those with a firewall, read this

Want to see the running apps in your computer? Want to see if any spyware is loaded & you can't see it? (Ctrl+Alt+Del does not show root or HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion running progs) See this then surf over to Runscanner.net to pick yourself up a copy.

19. Jam35

Jam35 Member

Just wondering, was Windows Live OneCare mentionned. Because it's an awesome online virus scanner that up to date for me has out donne norton antivirus, Ad-aware se and Spybot S&D.
    The site is onecare.live.com for those who are interested

20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is only a 90 day trial version