1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeware DVD Shrink v2.1 Beta is available, 10 compression levels with 5% increments

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by Shoey, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Shoey

Shoey Guest

[bold] Changelog [/bold]
    DVD Shrink v2.1 Improvements:

DVD Shrink 2.1 uses a completely different compression algorithm which is not comparable to 2.0.

It dynamically determines which picture types to modify depending on the compression required, and it does this for each and every picture in the movie. It supports "partial" reduction, where only a small number of blocks in each picture are reduced, and it attempts to distribute the resulting compression uniformly among all pictures, in such a way that the error introduced by this compression does not "propagate" or amplify as playback continues.

DVD Shrink 2.1b download:http://www.dvdshrink.org/where.html

Shoey :)

2. An6eLo

An6eLo Member

Some of my backups looked great while some looked grainy/blocky... does that have something to do with the new compression algorithm?

3. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I wouldn't know as I don't own a dvd burner (yet). Did you burn both movies at 1x? Did you close all running applications and disable screen saver when burning? Just a few tips m8.

Shoey :)

4. An6eLo

An6eLo Member

Burned them at 2x speed.
    Also disabled screen save when burning.

I dunno.. maybe I just haven't gotten used to DVD Shrink 2.2 just yet.

It's not really that bad though. I'm not a purist so the question of quality isn't that big a deal for me. I just thought I'd put in my piece on the new version.

Overall, I like it a little better than the previouse versions. The 5% increments seem helpful.. but is it possible that this difference from the previous versions is what caused the grainy/blocky texture of the movie? Or is this newbie talk? hahah

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Well we know the compression engine is slower on the new versions compared to the older versions according to Doom9. What compression level did you choose ? Are you comparing apples to apples here m8? What I mean is you said some of your backups were grainy (blotched). Were those encrypted with older version of DVD Shrink or new version?

Shoey :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com
    Main Website^ (Afterdawn)
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Forum Rules^
    Mobo: KT4VL MSI-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2.5
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    ATA\133 hd[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2003
  6. An6eLo

An6eLo Member

Let's take for example the Die Another Day DVD.

I encrypted them both with the old and new versions of DVD Shrink (reason being, i couldn't get any audio from the new VOBs I produced with the old version).

Both encryptions were of more or less the same compression level (both were at level 2 i think with about 2-3% difference in percentage).

When both were produced, I found that the backup from the old version looked cleaner than the one from the new version of DVDShrink.

(But of course, as the old version product didn't have any audio, I'm keeping the new version product)

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

A good way to judge the potential quality of a DVD-R back-up using compression, is the length of time taken to compress. For instance, i would nearly be sure that a movie that took 30mins to compress would not have the same quality as a movie that took 2hours to compress.

At the end of the day, your are weighing speed against quality. I personally would choose to set the computer up to compress (once the DVD has been ripped of course) overnight at the highest setting. Then burn it onto disk in the morning in about 15-30mins.

Theres a plan now.........

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

DVD Shrink Version 2.2 Now out

9. rajsehgal

rajsehgal Member

whats with dvdshrink ... is it better than dvd2one... same time?... it says that it takes longer but has higher quality... I have been using dvd2one since I have had my burner... and I have only seen 'not to bad' quality on movies that are over 6.5 gigs... does dvdshrink fix this kind of problem..using some other type of way of compression?

raj

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

DVD Shrink and DVD2One are programs really for the Newbie. Both are fast and fairly efficient, however, not much compression technology goes into it. For quality DVD95Copy would be a better program.

With the release of DVD Shrink V2.2, time has been sacrificed slightly to enable slightly better compression and video quality.

All we need now is a freebie that take an hour to compress with very high performance video!

So if you want quality, donate $1 if you download DVD Shrink. If you already have downloaded DVD Shrink, go back and give them a dollar. It will benefit us in the end when the creators come up with an extremely good program