1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeze during encoding

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by KStabach2, Feb 4, 2007.

1. KStabach2

KStabach2 Member

I've been using shrink for a while without any problems. Recently, during the encoding phase, my pc will freeze and I have to restart. I have been unable to complete a dvd since.

This alos happens when I us any other program to encode video (avi-mp4, DVD-mp4, avi-DVD, etc)

I dumped everything on my PC and reinstalled windows and still end up with the same result.....

2. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

OK, don't worry. There are fixes for this and I have had the same thing happen. And between, aabbccdd, PacMan777, blinkie7's help and a few other threads that I researched, this is what works.

First. Prepare what you need.

A. http://www.ripit4me.org. Download the installer and click on the links at the bottom of the page for Shrink and DVDDecrypter. You will need both. Also download the installer AS WELL AS the ripit4me file.

B. Download a reg cleaner like ccleaner or use one you have.

C. Uninstall all of your ripping software after backing up any information for licence keys etc. If you have AnyDVD this is a file that must be saved (anydvdkey).

D. Run a defrag on your system Burning disks fraggs the fork out of your drive.

E. Run reg cleaner.

F. Reinstall DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink. Run the installer for ripit4me.

G. Now use ripit for me in one click mode. This works for most. You will have to press the dvd icon in decrypter and if you use it to rip too, when you get there you will need to click the hard drive icon to burn.

Good luck if this does not work check your burning drive's firmware. Although this sounds like encoding issues here.

3. KStabach2

KStabach2 Member

I successfully completed all the steps you outlined but still freeze during encoding. My PC will freeze around 25-30% completion of the encoding phase.

4. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

KStabach2,

Using shrink can be very cpu intensive, you can use anywhere from 90-98% of your cpu time while using shrink. What you describe could be caused by an over heated microprocessor during the rip/transcoding process, open your PC case and make sure all the fans are working properly, clean out the dust bunnies, try using shrink with the case open to see if indeed it may be a heat related problem. Worst case, your power supply may be failing and will need to be replaced at some point.

Other rippers/transcoders are also available (free as mentioned) which are easier on the microprocessor, give them a shot when shrink is unable to cut it. See links below:)

5. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

6. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Kitty66 covered things fairly well. I'd just like to add the possibilities are limited. It's either the software or the hardware. You've reloaded your OS and software, so it looks like it might be hardware. When you say "freezes" do you mean it locks up and you have no controls or the PC shuts off and you have to restart it? If it's still running and you have to restart because the OS locked up, that would eliminate a few things.

Out of curiosity, what model PC are we talking about here? What CPU do you have and what speed? How large is the hard drive and how much free space is available? How much RAM does the system have and how much is available (task manager)? What operating system are you using? Does this happen on just a disk you're trying now or is it happening with every disk you try?

8. KStabach2

KStabach2 Member

My PC freezes as in locks up and I lose control, no mouse or keyboard response. I have to hit the restart buton.

My PC:
    -clone
    -Intel Pentium 4 3gz w/HT
    -80GB HD w/35GB availible
    -512 RAM
    -XP Home

The PC will freeze or lock up during any encoding phase of any file type. The problem fist started during an AVI to MP4 encode, but now happens during any typ of encoding with any program. I have tried about 20 different programs and it has happened with them all. The weird thing is, untill about 2 weeks ago when the problem originated, I never had an issue encoding anything with any software.

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

In the Windows Task Manager, under the Performance tab, what is the reading under PF Usage?

10. KStabach2

KStabach2 Member

11. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

This seems like a normal reading. I am stumped Pac! This is the same thing that was going on with my machine and was fixed by using the steps above, except that mine just shut down and did not freeze.

And it looks like it is happening with every disk just like when I had the issue. For me it turned out to be a software conflict somewhere and it resolved.

At this point I would DOUBLE CHECK that all your encoding/transcoding sw were uninstalled and clean reinstalled, not just the problem ones.

Did you reinstall your OS? I don't read it in your posts or I missed it. If not back up your data and do this then reinstall sw one by one, and only the ones you need. This should resolve a software issue. I would start only installing ripit and take it from there.

Hmmmfffff...I feel for you I was super bummed when my computer was doing this.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Kitty
    True... that's a typical reading with an XP system. But it only leaves about 227MB of RAM for the system to work with doing the encoding or whatever. It's either enough or the system goes to virtual memory, it shouldn't be shutting down. That's why I opt for a minimum of 1GB RAM on a fairly well loaded XP system. I just wanted to see what the PC was doing without the load of transcoding added.

KStabach2
    When you said dumped and reloaded Windows, did you mean format and do a fresh install of Windows or just delete the software and reload Windows over the old setup? If you just reinstalled without the format, you could have kept your problem. Have you tried a system restore to a date prior to having the problems or has it been too long and no restore points? If it's just a load and not the software you can check by downloading and running OCCT. It's an OC tool for loading the processor. If that crashes or locks the system, then it isn't likely to be just recording software causing the problem, but something happening to the system because of load stress.

13. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

KStabach2,

Based on what you stated, this is [bold]not[/bold] a software related issue (using software that puts stress on the system just causes it to happen). Your system specs are more than adaquite for the job (my PC has only 768MB of RAM installed and has't missed a beat yet), as I stated above, it might be a heat related issue or a powersupply failing under stress.

Open the Pc's case and make sure all fans are spinning properly and check for proper ventalation, leave the case open and point a big fan at the microprocessor and powersupply while using shrink or what ever you use when this happens to see if it's heat related.

If you reinstalled windows (hopefully did a clean install), you should have plenty of free space available, the drive shouldn't be fragmented, and you should be spyware/virus free. I recommend you set your virtual memory (page file) to 2.5 times your system memory (ie...512MB x 2.5 or 1280MB), make sure the OS is fully patched as per microsoft's update website, try not to use the PC while ripping/encoding.

The only other suggestion I have is to test your RAM sticks for a possible failure. Here are some free tools you can use:

DocMemory
    http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/docinfo.asp

MemTest
    http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/system/fwmemory.html

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

john
    Normally when a power supply goes the system crashes instead of just locking up. But strange things happen. Using Speedfan or Everest to monitor the system will show any abnormal temperatures or voltage irregularities. As I mentioned OCCT, can be used to stress the system while watching the monitoring software. It will load the system heavier and faster than transcoding software to check for stress problems. Taskmanager will show CPU and RAM usage. I agree with you that the interior should be checked if it's an older system and/or a dusty environment.

15. KStabach2

KStabach2 Member

I apologize for following through so late with all of you. I haven't had much time to use my PC for personal use (work, work, work).

I opened up my machine, and I must say I was embarrased with what I found. I have never seen so much dust in a power supply or on a processor fan. Literally a 1/4" thick. I couldn't even make out the word "Intel" on the fan.

Anyways, I thoroughly cleaned out my machine, and increased the ventilattion by removing the side panels of my tower and and is well and back to normal again.

Thank you all for your swift response and helping me think "in-side" the box.....hehe

Thank you again

-Ken

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You're welcome and we realize people have jobs, school and the like. I guess johnl123 can take credit on this one. He was the first to suggest cleaning out the "dust bunnies". Be carefull around the mobo the PCB is fragile. For dusting PSU's I take the unit to my compressor and carefully use it to blow the dust out. Those cans just don't give enough air. If the unit is out of warranty, I just pop the cover and give it a good dusting. I've had to take them apart when I've gotten PCs from a dusty environment with smokers. The dust gets glued to the inside of a PC with cigarette smoke. I can tell by the inside of a PC if there is a big time smoker around. LOL Everything else should be out where it can be cleaned easily. Don't forget to dust off the drives. When I don't have my compressor handy, I have a vac which reverses. It works well for dusting out cases and more portable. That way I can take the air to the PC. When lacking the other resources, canned air works. I usually keep a can of it for light jobs and cleaning the sensitive parts of electronics, i.e. the HSF for the CPU and mobo and chipsets, around the graphics and audio cards (things that can't take a lot of pressure).

17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Kitty
    There's another one for your list. Take out the "dust bunnies". LOL

18. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

@KStabach2

You're welcome, it's important to take a peek inside every now and then and make sure all fans are spinning properly and to check for proper ventalation.

Happy burning :)

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Get a case with a window like mine and you can see when the dust bunnies go on parade. ;) I also have a foam filter the air passes through, and that catches most of the dust. I just need to vac the front of the filter occasionally.

20. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

To replace your case to get a see thru window is a bit much and isn't free, but the foam filter easily do-able, and if you want somewhat the same effect and have it cost nothing, try using an old pair of panty hose cut to size and stretched over the fans exterior housing/assembly.