1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

freezes during encoding

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by potless, Oct 11, 2004.

1. potless

potless Member

I have an athalon 900mhz with 60 gig hard drive 42 gig available. I have a freshly defraged system that runs fine until. I try to use shrink ver 32 and it locks the whole system up during encoding. i have to reboot to start all over again. I have stopped all other apps running and have ver 9 of the direct x. I will lock at different percentages during encoding, as it doesnt seem to matter where its at on disk or which disk im trying to backup. This happens do different disks at different times and its driving me crazy. I have uninstalled and reinstalled this version and others of the same but it still freezes whole system. I have gotten it to work but its only reliable in about 1 in 10 tries and it doesnt seem to matter what disk im trying to back up. If it locks up on this one today it might work on it tommorow?? Please any ideas would help. This has worked in past on this computer but its not reliable.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Howdy potless,

When you encode and when you burn you're using 100% of your PC's processor. If your fan isn't "up to snuff", or if your air flow is restricted you'll overheat and your system will do as you've said, "Lock up".

If your PC hasn't been cleaned in awhile, check that too.

Open up your PC and set a large fan to blow on your processor to see if it still does it's lock-up thing - If it doesn't lock-up you'll know you need to increase your cooling so this doesn't happen again -

Cheers,

Pete

3. potless

potless Member

I cleaned the inside of the pc and it wasnt that bad but was needed, i put a large fan directily to the heat sink of the cpu and it still locks up. the system just freezes and i have to power off then back on to get it to recover. I have 512 ram and 49 gig of hard drive space. I also find that with dvd shrink that when its encoding if it doesnt have to compress any it works fine but even if it has to compress a small amount my system will freeze at different points of the encoding process. any other ideas would be much appreciated

4. cynthia_

cynthia_ Regular member

What graphic card do you have installed?

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You may have a piece of hardware that has become "Heat senative - Let me check with a couple of Mods and see if they have a sugestion or 2 -

Like "Arnie," I'll be Back -