1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freezes during playback

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by SR816, Feb 9, 2005.

1. SR816

SR816 Member

I have successfully backed up about 70 movies over the last 3+ months using Decryptor and Shrink. I'm currently running the latest version of both. However the last 10 or so that I have backed up freeze about one hour into the movie during playback on numerous stand alone DVD players. The picture starts breaking up and then ultimately just stops altogether. The movies appear to back up fine, I get no error messages whatsoever during the Decryptor or Shrink processes. All of the movies are not even the latest ones out. For ex, Jacobs Ladder, NARC, Born on the 4th of July, as well as the latest Grudge, Ray etc. At this point its every movie. I switched over to a new Sony 710 burner from a 550 with the same exact result. I had also installed Anydvd but removed it after I noticed the problem, but even after removing it via the control panel I'm still having the same problem. Using Memorex media which have always worked in the past. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i have been here!!!

its bad disc media! is it a new batch by any chance? i used the exact same iso images on ritek and they played perfect!

you get it at the end of the discs the problem!

3. SR816

SR816 Member

Thanks Rotary - I appreciate it. They are Memorex Printable (no label on them)4x DVD info : MCC 003. I have burned some successfully out of this spindle, and never ran into these problems with any other Memorex media. I also see where I should set the Shrink Limit to approx 4300, I will try that as well. I practically bald at this point from pulling my hair out. After using the search and finding the problem is pretty common, what brand of media would you recommend?

I have a new pack of Memorex 8X (I'll burn them at 4 or 2x) code CMC MAG AE1, ever tried them before?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

CMC MAG is one of the poopiest of the poopy media. If you can, I'd return them and get some of the good stuff such as Maxell, TDK, Verbatim Metal AZO, RiDATA or Taiyo Yuden :)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

yup as Nephilim states ditch those suckers for a real disc!

keep same image and try that image on a new ritek or Taiyo Yuden

6. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

I've been there my friend!!!! Change media quickly!! Memorex is crap!! If your movies are freezing about halfway thru then it's definately your media. You can try to slow the burn speed down just a bit but if i were you i would use Maxell, Ritek Ridata, or Taiyo-Yuden. I know because i've tried those Memorex 8x/-r disks and every movie i backed up froze around the midway point.

7. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

hmmmm, if you slowed the burner to 4x or 2x and it still glitched using the Memorex 8x media then it's definately the disks. Those are some really bad disks! I tried a 5 pack almost a year ago to experience with faster media and 1 out of 5 of those disks turned out ok. Must be something with the dye on those disks. Anyways, I will never use those again.