1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freezing during analyzing/encoding !!

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jake180, Oct 29, 2004.

1. jake180

jake180 Member

Dear ScubaPete (or anyone else with a vast knowledge on the subject)
    This question is actually from my sister ... I didn't know the answer so i told her i would post it on here see what i could find out.

The Problem:
    When she launches dvd shrink and goes to open the disc naturally it starts to analyze it ... well sometimes her computer will lock up and freeze here part way through the analyzing other times the same disc may go as far as 90% encoding and then her computer will lock up and freeze(not just the program stops responding, the whole computer does forcing her to press the power button at the front) She describes it to me as being sparatic though .... like the same disc can give her trouble 4 or 5 times in a row ...than all of a sudden it will burn ok after many tries. Other dvd's will back up perfectly fine on the first try... which is why it's not really a consistsant problem ...but she says that it freezes more times than not.

A few facts :
    -She has a new computer, Gaming system, tons of ram and a big HD.
    -She has the newest versions of both dvd shrink & dvd decrypter
    -Can't be a media problem because she doesn't even get to the "burning process" most of the time.(plus she uses good media)
    -I have backed up many dvds with great success and never problems.... She has the exact same settings as i do(as far as shrink and decrypter are involved).
    -I have burned some of the dvd's successfully that she cannot.
    -She stops all background tasks before attempting to create a backup.

I don't know what other information i can give you ... but any HELP concerning this problem would be more than greatly appreciated !!!

I apologize if this question has already been answered but i looked and didn't find anything that seemed relevant.

Thanks guys!(in advance)

2. thebigbos

thebigbos Member

What i`ve done before is to copy the dvd, " running any dvd", to my hdd and then I use DVD shrink to back the files on the hdd up.. most of the time it goes pass the error.... hope this help

3. jake180

jake180 Member

Thanks for the advice ...but i've had anydvd and yes it did work well ...but it is trial-ware and only lasts for 21 days then you have to purchase it which i do not/shouldn't have to do ... because i know that there must be another reason ... considering there is no error even coming up her system is just crashing which it shouldn't do because it is more or less top of the line.... but thanks for the advice none the less ... if all else fails i might have her download it ... maybe she will have to buy it *shrug*

If anyone has any further suggestions that would be great!

Thanks...

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a heat issue. Is this a factory PC or a homebuilt?

5. jake180

jake180 Member

It's factory as far as I know ... I mean she bought it from a computer store ...so I assume that would make it factory.

Is there anyway to do a test to see if your computer is having a heat problem ?

6. Nephilim

If she knows (or can find out) what make/model motherboard she has she can use a great little app called MotherBoard Monitor to show the CPU temp in real time as she encodes :)

Here's a link:

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

7. jake180

jake180 Member

Thanks ... I'm not sure that is what the problem is ...but i will definetly have her check out this thread ... thanks.

8. wannadie

wannadie Member

well is her comp a celeron-pen or ath the celeron sucks i should no cus its a weak comp everything u said jake has happen to mine what i would say if she can take that comp back or sell it do it get a custom comp there always better note if u do get a custom comp get some help on what u would like in it so u will no what ur getting and whats good with custom u can always upgrade it unlike most store one's without going to them an getting ripped off hope this helps :))

9. jake180

jake180 Member

Ok here is all I could find out ... I don't know if any of this is relevant or if you/anyone knows anything about them ... but as for her computer she says it's called an "ultra touch system powered by Asus" I believe that the motherboard is "K8V Series deluxe" ? ... and most important ly the burner itself i think is a MAXTOR 6Y160L0" ...does anyone know anything of these items or how they might be affecting my burning ... (see above posts)

10. jake180

jake180 Member

One more thing ...my sister made a good point about the over heating ... and it was that sometimes it freezes during analyzing in the first 10 - 20 seconds ... is it really possible for it to overheat that quickly ... ??

11. Nephilim

It's certainly possible. Encoding puts an immediate heavy load on the CPU. Another possibilty is an overloaded or faulty PSU which can cause all sorts of random problems.

Motherboard Monitor will also list the current voltages so it'd be a good thing to get it loaded so you can check temps and voltages :)

12. Nephilim

Original post by aidansmom moved here:

13. Nephilim

Here's a direct link to the Motherboard Monitor download:

http://www.pcextreme.net/mbm/mbm5370.exe

For the sake of clarity does the PC lock up during the intial short analysis or during the actual encoding process (after you hit the Backup! button)?

14. aidansmom

aidansmom Member

Almost all of the time it freezes in the short initial 'Analysis' stage. Though when it does go through from there, it usually will freeze in the Encoding stage as well.

15. aidansmom

aidansmom Member

Alrighty..here goes!
    I've downloaded MBM 5. Initial temperatures were:
    36 - CPU and 32 - CASE (celcius)
    Tried to burn a movie and froze at 54% Analyzing (not Encoding)
    at point of machine freezing temps were:
    36 - CPU and 31 - CASE
    manually restarted machine & downloaded "anyDVD"
    launched 'anyDVD' & attempted to burn again at which point maching froze at 43% Analyzing
    temps same as above.
    Now am going to drown my sorrows in food as am too pregnant and emotional to deal with stresses *grin*
    Thanks for all past/present/future help!

16. Nephilim

17. aidansmom

aidansmom Member

Okay, I used a newer version of aspi because the link wasn't compatible with Windows XP. I hope I did it right, what I ended up with was this:
    ASPI32.SYS - Version 4.71.2 - Size 16877 bytes
    WOWPOST.EXE - Version 4.6 (1021) - Size 4672 bytes
    WINASPI.DLL - Version 4.6 (1021) - Size 5600 bytes
    WNASPI32.DLL - Version 4.71.2 - Size 45056 bytes

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Neph,

With the ASPI lQQking OK, Couldn't it still be a heat related issue dealing with a component other than the processor, perhaps even a faulty circuit on the Mommie ?

19. jake180

jake180 Member

Neph/Pete,

Just out of curiosity .... would a heat issue really be a common problem with a brand new computer.... i mean i feel bad for my sister if it is, cause i know she was all pumped up about being able to back-up dvds ...so she goes to this computer store and talks to these guys basically telling them she wants the best and they hook her up ... but now she's having these problems... i mean her system is less than 3 weeks old ..

furthermore.... if it is a heat issue whether its the motherboard or the drive itself that is overheating ... would she run into problems with any other proggys cause the only thing that gives her trouble is the burning....

I don't know i guess i'm just more inclined to thinking that it's somekind of stupid setting that just needs to be changed somewhere or something... but i dunno ....

thanks for all the help neph/pete you guys are great... ( and I'm sure my sister will think the same thing if she ever finds a solution ... lol )

cheers.

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey Jake,

You have so very much to learn -

Not everything in life is perfect - Ask someone who has just purchased a $40,000.00 car how many times they had to go back and get something fixed.

As a very great man once said, "Kaka happens". and that great man's name was Forest, Forest Gump -

If you wish a true heart attack, ask someone who just purchased a $500,000.00(USD) home if everything was perfect inside and out (remember now, that's a 1/2 a million dollars of real, hard earned, worked for money) ? Then run, don't walk, to get them a glass of water because when they finally stop laughing, they'll really want that water -

The PC I'm running took 30 days solid to get straightened out - Just be glad it's still under Warrantee. When that runs out, she'll have some more problems - and that's called Murphy's Law.

Cheers,

Pete

To address your question: Because it's happening during DVD Shrink's initial analyzing, it isn't a setting -