1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freezing problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by whufc4eva, May 1, 2005.

1. whufc4eva

whufc4eva Guest

I have just tried to watch a downloaded movie on my stand alone player, but it started freezing after about 45mins and by about 90mins it was so bad I finished watching it on my PC and it worked fine.
    I have burnt and watched other movies using the same media without a problem, but this movie was longer (2hs 10mins)and Nero altered the quality to long play to fit it on the dvd. Could this cause the problem? .. But if it is, why have a long play option?

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

What brand and media code are your blank discs?

3. whufc4eva

whufc4eva Guest

I am using Philips +RW now as I need practice! I have had three successful burns with these and thought i was home and dry finally, but now I have this freezing up problem.

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

burn at 4X max and see if that sloves the freezing problem

5. skunkman

skunkman Member

Freezing Problems are in my experience due to 2 things... your dvd player does not like the discs you are using, or you simply using rubbish discs. Try using Datawrite Titanium 8x discs or go for the very best which are Taiyo Yuden (which i always use) packs of 100 are available from www.svp.co.uk. Taiyo Yuden cost a little bit more (£46.00 for 100) but are well worth it as i have never had one stick or fail and they last much longer than any other disc i have used

6. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Make sure the firmware for your burner is up to date, this can also cause playback problems.

7. bbthumper

bbthumper Guest

.....I agree with the skunkman, if it plays on the pc and not the standalone its most likely those 2 things.....

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Here are some media codes for phillips +rw media.

Philips DVD+RW 2.4x (CMC MAG.W01)
    Philips DVD+RW 2.4x (INFODISCA01)
    Philips DVD+RW 4x (PHILIPS 041)
    Philips DVD+RW 4x (RICOHJPNW11)

The first two are bad and the last two are good. Use this free proggy to get the media code of your discs and let us know and we'll go from there. http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ Could be poor quality media, or could be compatability problem with your stand-alone. May need to try -r media, may be able to booktype dvd-rom, but first report the media code of your discs and the make and model of your burner.