1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fresh install of windows xp

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by legend162, Jun 29, 2011.

1. legend162

legend162 Member

I decided to get my old computer running again for the kids.I sold the video card and hard drive I had for it(it doesnt have built in video graphics).I had another hard drive and video card laying around.I cleared the cmos and installed windows xp,once it formats the hard drive and puts the files that it needs on the hard drive it reboots and does nothing,just sits at the "press any key to boot from cd".I tried several times and sometimes it just loops and goes into the installation part of defraging the hard drive.Im lost,not sure if its the video card that is screwing things up or the hard drive,just because its the only two things that are new to the system,thats why I cleared the cmos thinking it would do the trick.It doesnt give any errors either.Just wondering what could cause this or if its one of the two items I put on the system,thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

does the bios see the hard drive correctly?

3. legend162

legend162 Member

Yeah,it is a seagate 500 gig hard drive and in the bios it shows up as a 500 gig,and the number of hard drive is correct too

4. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

It's not recognizing the hard drive as a boot device. You better check the BIOS sequence again.
    Or.. the XP installation is FOOBAR
    Jeff

5. Dardandec

Dardandec Member

The hard drive may show in the Bios,this does not mean the hard drive is ok.
    Get a copy of Hiren's boot cd and run a hard drive diagnostic for the Seagate drive.

6. legend162

legend162 Member

On the hirens boot cd,is there a hard drive diagnostic for the seagate or is two different programs I should run(hirens and seagates hard drive tool)?Thanks

7. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

If all fails swap out the hard drive. It's not magic ya know;)
    It does seem like hard drive failure.
    Is it SATA or PATA? If the HD is PATA check the drive jumper. It maybe setup as a slave..
    It will not boot setup as a slave drive
    Why run diagnostics when the setup could be the problem?
    Jeff

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  8. Dardandec

Dardandec Member

There is a tool for each of the hard drive makers, look thro disc and you will find yours , run the tool and follow the advice, hope this helps.

9. legend162

legend162 Member

I thought I set the hard drive jumper to master but I will double check,and if its set at master I will run hirens boot cd,Thanks for the help