1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

frewall

Discussion in 'Software discussion' started by rtrg, Feb 24, 2019.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

recommendation. I was invaded by fake MS alerts for many months. sometimes they could be closed other times not. solutions were elusive for WIN7 32bit. finally COMODO FREE FIREWALL 11 seems to work for several days. these popups were random. system wide blocker creates more issues than it solves. you might want to try this. this was the first firewall I tried. no experience with others.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

ive always used the windows firewall with no problems.keep in mind that a firewall wont stop most of these nasties as they piggyback in on other software etc.there is a saying ive always called the kiss rule."keep it simple stupid".lol

3. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Hi aldan, been a while... @rtrg, windows firewall is better than comodo or any other AV firewall. The only better firewall is privatefirewall 7.0 and not recommended if you are less than advanced or geek...

almost TooOldGeek, LOL

aldan likes this.
  4. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

i decided to try ZONE ALARM FREE. for me the OS FIREWALL did not work well to NOT allow fake MS warnings to get through. ZA is better at that though not perfect. nothing is for me. at least I can close some and restart the others sometimes being able to cancel the process once the desktop disappears replace by the "waiting to close" appears. from there reopen browser. not the best solution but that is all I can do.

5. aldan

aldan Active member

you know,ive read a lot of your threads and you seem,in all instances,to overthink things.zonealarm isnt a bad firewall,and if you want to,go with it.the windows firewall is every bit as good or better tho.what are these fake ms warnings?i never get them and so am curious.you may have other problems than just your firewall.

6. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

again these are a myriad of alert pop ups purporting as coming from MS. all are FAKE and all want $s to unlock the computer which is also not true. some can be closed others need a restart to get back to the desktop. I installed ZA to help prevent this. both firewalls only partially successful. I am concerned that these alerts will do major damage over time. its bad enough installed apps are constantly reminding/installing updates randomly. I do not need or want unwanted garbage doing the same. maybe I am being paranoid but I do not understand computers enough to know what a permanent solution might be. in the past I was plagued by unwanted adware. I used an anti adware app for that. since then the adware have stopped. did the app do its work? I have no idea. will ZA eventually work also? again I have no idea. I stared with WIN 2000 now at WIN7. do the different OSs respond differently to the same issue? again unknown to me. forgive my ignorance but this issue is annoying and potentially damaging. I am a casual user and do not need to have to deal with this nonsense.

with all due respect to all here who put up with me I thank you. I joined for this very reason. unfortunately the advice is confusing and contradictory. every "box" and OS is unique with so much interaction between hardware and software it amazes me that computers are as stable as they are.

7. aldan

aldan Active member

ok this helps.these popups are malware that you already have on your pc unfortunately,so a firewall is not gonna help you.what have you run for antimalware apps?what is your antivirus program?hopefully 2old is around and can help.sorry more questions than answers so far.

8. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

super anti spyware. i have used malwarebytes, bit defender, and spybot. non seem to work. as i write this thees messages have stayed away.

9. aldan

aldan Active member

cross your fingers then.lol.only time will tell.

10. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

i just installed acronis anti ransomeware protection free for the same reason. any opinions on that?

11. aldan

aldan Active member

never used it so dont know.watch having too many live scanning malware programs running.could cause conflicts.