1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friends got problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by heaTSeker, Jan 28, 2005.

1. heaTSeker

heaTSeker Member

I have a friend who has a problem backing up his DVDs. I tried everything to get his computer working right but I'm stuck. So heres the problem.

He has a dvd drive that doesn't play dvds. I know he has a dvd drive because it worked before and all of a sudden it stopped working.

The drive is a DVD/CD RW drive. CDs play like normal but the drive makes a weird noise when any sort of dvd is put into the drive....Blank/Movies/Ripped Movies...the sound any drive makes when it can't read

I tried to uninstall the drives one at a time and letting the computer find them over again, which it does. but it does the same thing. they are all also set to DMA

he has a total of 3 drives. a CD RW, DVD Rom, and a DVD/CD rewritable which is his only external drive. its a pacific digital that came with roxio 6. i also tried uninstalling that program and reinstalling it again. his dvd rom drive does read dvds normally.

his computer sees the drive as a dvd drive but plays only cds. i can't even get the directory of the dvd in DOS.

here are his computer specs:

1)Dell 3000
    2)Intel Celeron CPU 2.40ghz
    3)2.39 ghz, 512 mb of ram
    4)Win XP version 2002 with service pack 2

My last guest to the problem is that their is a fault or some crap in his drive.

2. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Which drive has the problem. I would lose Roxio. It is trouble.

3. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Sorry, it is the external drive right. Is it on a USB 2.0 port. You could try it out on another PC to see if it is the drive or the connection.

4. heaTSeker

heaTSeker Member

yeah its the external drive with a usb 2.0 port