1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

front projector install

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by cmoney333, Apr 27, 2007.

1. cmoney333

cmoney333 Member

when mounting a front projector from the ceiling do you put a small hole in the ceiling to run the wires to the a/v and how do you get the power cord do the power conditioners do i plug the projector do a extension cord and then run it and if so do i need a certain type to run in a ceiling would anybody also know a good tool for snaking wires

2. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

This is something I would leave to professionals. There are two things that come into mind:

If you're projecting to a blank wall then this may not be important. But if you have a pull-down or fixed screen then you'll have to consider your projector's vertical and horizontal lens offset. The fine measurements and adjustments can be a difficult DIY project if you don't have the knack or the tools.

Secondly you have to consider building codes for wires and cables when dealing with a plenum space - a space "that is used for air circulation in heating and air conditioning systems, typically between the structural ceiling and the suspended ceiling or under a raised floor." You will need "plenum rated" cables and wiring for these special circumstances. Again, working with a pro is usually the best option in these cases.

3. cmoney333

cmoney333 Member

are you saying that people who are hanging projectors from the ceiling are not snaking the wires the wires in the ceiling ther just leaving them exposed on the outside of the walls. what are people doing with the surround speakers dont they have to be snaked in the walls in sort of the same way

4. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

I'm going to get a projector as well and ceiling mount it. I've been thinking about the cable management also and the only thing that came to mind was some sort of adhered wiring duct. So I may just run to my local hardware store and see if they have anything like these and paint it to match the ceiling...which may be hard for me since I have wood ceilings lol.

As for the power cable...I may very well get an extension cord since that is the only way for me to power it. And seeing as I live in an apartment i'm sure they wouldn't want me running any cables to the ceiling myself lol.