1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Side Bus what is it?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Xenokai, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

what is this? the pc i have on layaway at wal mart http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...&type=19&dept=3944&path=0:3944:3951:41937soon has 400mhz fsb and was wondering if itl slow my gaming down when i upgrade ive heard most pc's are 355mhz fsb but some range up to 800 but im on a dell 2400 right now and im getting that pc in the link <better than this 128 ram 40 gb hd dell im usin> and i was wondering how do i check what fsb this has cause it runs pretty good for a celeron 2.4ghz anyone game with a 400mhz fsb pc ? will it run eq 2? take a look at the pc and tell me what ya think BTW i got 60 dollars off the pc <i work at wal mart>.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

the FSB transfers data between the RAM and other components. Basically everything on the motherboard. You can usually find out the detail of your motherboard by going into the BIOS. 400mhz FSB isn't bad, it just all depends on what you're going to be doing with it. If its just moderate gaming, than 400 is fine.

3. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

is running EQ2 Moderate gaming? lol im not wanting to play game like half life 2 or doom 3 ill just play halo 1 or 2 on xbox for game like that im just wanting to make sure itl run game's like eq2 with upgraded grfics card ive heard fsb isnt really important long as its more than 300 even for doom 3

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yes a 400mhz FSB is fine. I only have a 266mhz FSB on mine, but Doom 3 runs fine. For high-res games like that it really depends more on your graphics card. Only super fast high end machines have the new 800mhz FSB, and I doubt it would get fully utilized just by gaming.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The PC in your link uses shared memory so you're best off looking for some sort of video card. Even an inexpensive one will be leaps and bounds better.

Shared memory will run Solitiare like nobody's business but beyond that it'll drag performance way down because it uses your part of your RAM for graphics memory as opposed to a video card having it's own GPU and memory :)

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah my little shuttle cube I use for DJing has that shared memory video card. Luckily I just use it for playing mp3s, not blowing up monsters with Doom 3.

7. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

thxs DJScoop thats the info ive been looking for btw i do plan to upgrade my video card if i decide to play game <im not that dumb hehe> but with 2 open pci and 1 open agp slots i should be good to go ill be using it for the net and a game called ragnarok online <which require little pc specs's at 1st so my intergrated card will run that but if i want to play eq2 or somthing ill be upgrading before hand