1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frustrated. Somebody help!! Tried a few things

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by bladefd, Feb 15, 2008.

1. bladefd

bladefd Member

Hi, this is my first post and had couple questions about getting custom firmware installed on a PSP that has official 3.90 firmware. I am a complete noob unfortunately.

I have the following things: Datel Tool battery, 4gb memory stick, regular psp battery. I am also on windows xp pro regular version - Some people had different versions of windows(like vista, etc) so they had problems but I have normal version.

1) First of all I need to create a magic memory stick(or is it called jigkick?). I looked through the guide for creating a jigkick(http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/552549) but the requirements in the EasyInstaller file says
    "REQUIREMENTS
    - A spare PSP Battery. Any make will do. Using a spare is best, as it
    will not be possible to boot the PSP in its normal state with the
    modified battery.
    - A spare Memory Stick Pro Duo of less than 4Gb. (256Mb should be
    enough for all applications).
    - A PSP with a Custom Firmware such as OE, M33 or WC, or a PSP with
    the 1.5 original kernel. "

I don't have another PSP with custom firmware. What other options do I have to create a magic memory card?? There was also couple other guides I tried but people told me that you need another PSP in order to create a magic memory card. UGHHHHHH!!!

2) With the Datel Tool, do I just have to put it in once I have a magic memory stick and it will just load up the black screen with options on installing custom firmwares? I am assuming that's all I have to do with the Datel Tool.

I know people have asked this questions a million times already but I am so frustrated. I am not sure what to exactly do next. Plz help me!! Maybe there is another guide that shows you how to create a magic memory stick without another PSP? Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Your right bladefd these questions do get asking a million times :)
    Use this guide - link.
    It should answer all your questions and mod the psp :)

3. bladefd

bladefd Member

Well, the thing is that I tried that guide. What happened is that when I put in the Datel Tool(after doing the memory card steps), the screen is stuck at black. it doesn't change to anything else. Like the PSP turns on with Datel battery but it doesn't do anything else once I turn it on. Is it supposed to stay black like that?(There is no writing on the screen either). I kept it on like that for like 30 seconds but it did nothing else so I just turned off the PSP.

"Just place the Magic Memory Stick in the PSP and then place the Datel Tool/Hardmodded Battery into the PSP and a menu should come up. X will install 3.71 M33-2 to the PSP and O will install 3.71 official firmware to the PSP. "
    No menu came up.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  4. Feenix888

Feenix888 Regular member

The green light comes on but nothing else? That sounds like you have the Pandora (aka Datel) but the IPL is not written on the Memory card.

Are you sure you have made the MMS correctly?

5. binkie7

Try creating the magic memory stick again - make sure you follow all the steps. One that sometimes get people is the last step in creating it:

After it has finished writing the files you will get an image similar to below. Just type Y and ENTER to finish the instillation of files to the Magic memory Stick.
    [​IMG]

Even though there is a Y there - do not hit enter here - type Y again then hit enter.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  6. bladefd

bladefd Member

My PSP doesn't turn on at all with Datel Tool. I didn't make it clear that it screen stays black because it doesn't turn on rofl - my bad. Basically, I put it in and hit the power switch but nothing happens.

One more thing - I noticed that the screenshots show an "orange" Datel Tool but mine is black and it says "Tool" on it like any orange Datel Tool. Could I possibly have wrong version of Datel Tool or the color doesn't matter? I ordered it from Datel's website and on the box, it says "Service Mode Battery" and it's a regular Datel box. As I said, it looks exactly like the orange battery with exact same information except it is in black.

"To charge DATEL TOOL battery(Pandora):
    Plug in AC adapter in PSP, then when booted, insert TOOL Battery, do not turn your Console off during the charging, BUT, by hold the screen buttom, will the screen turn off :)"

I am going to try that. I didn't do that yet. Perhaps the battery didn't come charged already and that is why it's not turning on. Hopefully that's all it is. Thanks for all the help so far!

7. binkie7

The screen staying black (after the magic memory stick is inserted) is a sign that maybe the memory was completed correctly too.

When you put in the Datel Tool battery in by itself the power light should come on but that's about it - the magic memory stick does the rest. The datel tool battery just puts the psp in service mode which allows it to boot from the magic memory stick.

If you bought it from Datel's site you should be good but yep you will need to charge to at least 80%.

8. nixz

nixz Regular member

Yes, the Datel Tool battery doesn't come charged as standard. It says on the instructions that comes with the battery to charge it and then use it.

Lol, this is the same problem I had when I tried inserting it into my PSP, it just wouldn't turn on! I later found out why lol.

Once you have charged it, put the magic memory stick into your PSP, then your Tool battery and the screen should stay black however, the power light should turn on. Then press X and the Memory Stick and Wifi lights should blink like crazy. Once this has done, the PSP will shut off and then take out your Datel Tool and place your normal battery into the PSP and start it up. It should work perfectly now with Custom Firmware on it :)

9. bladefd

bladefd Member

I got it working. I basically let the Datel battery charge the way it says in the guide. Then I just removed the AC adapter plug and the PSP just went straight to the black screen(without having to restart PSP at all) with options on installing different CFW. I got 3.71MM installed. just going to run updates and bring it up to 3.90MM - I can figure that out. Thanks guys for the help - appreciate it. :)

10. bladefd

bladefd Member

I updated it all to 3.90 M33-2 but I got another problem. I put my games in ISO folder and I get the following error when trying to load them up "The game could not be started (80020321)". What am I supposed to do to fix that??

11. binkie7

Take a peek at this guide - link

12. bladefd

bladefd Member

Ahh, I didn't go to advanced and disable all the options like it says. For a minute, I thought I bricked my PSP or something cause I turned off UMD from configuration and it kept giving me same error. Works perfectly now. Thanks.

13. binkie7

Good deal - glad you're all sorted now.