1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

frustrating - JVC GR-D72U I am trying to transfer my video to my pc

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by zodiac66, Jun 15, 2008.

1. zodiac66

zodiac66 Member

I have a JVC GR-D72U I am trying to transfer my video to my pc, I just bought the firewire that everyone said I would need but my pc (windows vista and xp) does not recognize the firewire. I have put my camera in the playback mode, isn't that the mode when you are watching what you have recorded? it has no memory card, is that the culprit? please help, thank you fellas. I have no software (cd) for this camera.

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

The memory card is for pictures. Do you have any software on your computer, for capturing video? Windows Movie Maker should recognize the video camera.

3. zodiac66

zodiac66 Member

Yes, I did try via windows movie maker..I will post the exact message I get later...it does not recognize it.

4. zodiac66

zodiac66 Member

Can anyone help me with this...I am lost..what do I need to make this work?...driver? the software that came with the camera? I still cannot figure out why my comp does not recognize the firewire.

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Do you have a firewire port on your computer, or did you plug it into a USB port? I don't think that that could be done, but I don't understand why your computer won't recognize the firewire cable.

When you are trying to get the computer to recognize the video camera, do you have the video camera in Play mode?

Do you have Windows XP, with SP2, on your computer. If so, there was a fix for SP2, so it would recognize the firewire cable.

You can download the fix from here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222/en-us

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  6. kabbie

kabbie Guest

It may be too late, but i found something today as I was resoling with my camera.
    I would 1st look in the Device Manager, mine was showing the Other Device > JVC GR-D275 (my camera) like it does not have a driver….
    The odd thing is that it worked before… so I opened up my PC and put the Firewire card into a different PCI slot, it fixed it.
    Now my camera shows as Imaging Device > AVC Compliant DV Camcorder.
    Only after spending the entire day fixing it, I remembered that PCI cards are known to “magically” start working when you switch them do different slots.