1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frustration with Toshiba SD/3860 Stand-Alone

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by flames89, Apr 1, 2005.

1. flames89

flames89 Guest

Hello, new to the forum, looks awesome, that's why I joined. Here's a problem I have been having.
    Recently bought a 100 pack of Benq DVD-R.
    Burned DVD's will play in low end Emerson DVD player. WILL NOT play in higher end Toshiba SD/3860 stand-alone.
    Have played dvd-r in the Toshiba, but some will play and some will not. I burned some dvd's last night, and tested them in the Toshiba. They played fine. Tried them again today, and nothing. The player just reads it for about 30 seconds and then stops.
    Using a 3 month old BenQ DW1620.
    Most recent version of DVD Shrink along with most recent version of Nero.
    Have also used Sonic Record Now Deluxe.
    Here's something I found strange, checked out this model number at the Toshiba website, and they don't even have the SD 3860 listed!
    Any help with this would be appreciated.

2. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

Could be several things. Media change brands verbatum and tiyo yuden seem to work really well. check benq website and see which media they recommend for your model. You never mention the speed in which you burn most people recommend 4X. Any thing above that depends on your drives write quality. +R and -R some settop boxes play both. Some like one or the other. Your going to have to experiment. Your laser may be week on your settop box. Run some of your media threw nero cd quality test, check the quality of burn. Or dvdinfoPro works well to. You may want to try some other software DVD Decrypter is a nice program. It could be a simple as changing to +R disks.

Good Luck

Spacedust

3. flames89

flames89 Guest

Thanks for the tips. I did actually lower the burn speed down to 4X to see if that helped, and it's hit and miss. Some of them play in the Toshiba, and some of them don't.
    Everything will play in the Emerson player.
    I've used DVD Decrypter too, good program, but doesn't seem to make a difference. I won't be buying Verbatim's as they are about 4 bucks a piece at most stores around here, like Future Shop (BestBuy).
    I bought the -R disks only because they've been around longer, and theoretically should play in almost anything. I've heard of people having problems with +R disks.
    I think you might be right when you say the laser could be weak on the Toshiba.
    It's either that, or it doesn't like Benq DVD's. I'm so glad I found this out after buying a 100 pack. Joy!

4. rjessa

rjessa Regular member

I have an old Toshiba SD3109 (about 4-5 years old), which in todays tearms is ancient, but I really like the player, and it works very well with all my store bought DVD's. I like you burn home made movies, which is were my interest lies. I capture , edit and burn them. I use Ridata (Ritek) media, which are reasonavle and work well on my brothers Sony DVD player. With my Toshiba it is not consistent. Sometimes it says it loading for like 15mins and then it starts to play, and does so very well, without stopping. Other times it does not, its very intermittent. Changing to Sony or Verbatim does not haelp the case. I have even checked various other wesites for info on th SD3109, and all the information I have found proves that there is no consistency, in that some sites say it can play DVD-R some say it cannot. So I like you am totally confused. I know it plays DVD-R well, but not my home made movies. If I were to run DVD-R movies burnt from originals they seem to work just fine. I have tried different softwares and methods, but nothing helps. It just seems to me that the player gets lost when loading, it is as if it cannot read the header file which has all the pertinenet information regarding the DVD. I keep looking around to try and find solutions. I would like to share these movies with some of my friends, and I figure if I can make them run on my DVD then others will not have a problem. The more I read and research the more I realize that others may have DVD players that mya not play DVD-R or any such media AT ALL. So it also depends on how well the players can accomodate the DVD-R etc on their players.

5. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

I have a toshiba DVD player and in the recent past I had more playback problems then not. I was using a plextor PX-708A burner with (Maxell, Ritec, Sony, TDK, ect) media. I uised multiple DVD burner apps with simular problematic results, such results were not usef

About 2 months ago, I got a new ND3520 burner. I burned a movie on a Ritec G04 blank and tested it on the toshiba. All playback issues vanished.This event surprised me, considering I had a 1/10 hit rate using this media with this player. I would recomend further testing on other standalones or burning a disc on another DVD-burner and testing it on the toshiba.

6. fjacky

fjacky Member

I am also having problems with this machine. I created an SVCD and it worked fine on my computer. On the DVD player it came up to the menu, but after pressing play it came up with PCB on the display.

Any idea what that means?

7. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2005
  8. flames89

flames89 Guest

Ok, well, more news about my original problem that I posted concerning the Benq DVD-R's, and my Toshiba SD 3860 DVD Player. This isn't a problem with which format it will play. It will play both -R and +R, this is a problem relating to the actual brand of DVD. Neither is this a problem with the burner either, it's practically brand new.
    The Toshiba will play Kodak DVD+R, and -R with no problems. Also, Memorex, both formats, and Fujifilm, both formats, different recording speeds were used on the other disks too. No problems with the other disks. Will play VCD and SVCD with no problems, on multiple brands of CDR, like Memorex, TDK, LG, and Fuji.
    I've had successful burns with the other brands, using both Nero Burning Rom 6, and Sonic Record Now Deluxe.
    It just doesn't seem to like the Benq DVD -R's at all. I burned a movie onto one of the Benq's, and tested it in the Toshiba, and it worked. Now, get this, I tried to play the same exact DVD the next day, and it didn't play!
    Just sat there reading it for about 2 minutes! It had worked less than 24 hours before!
    Pop in another brand of burned DVD, +R or -R, and it plays with no problems. It really seems to like the Kodak, Memorex, and Fuji brands, as I could play -R and +R disks with no problems at all.
    I've got another DVD player that I spoke of in the earlier post, a supposedly lower end Emerson, and it plays everything you put in it!
    So, my hat is off to Emerson for making a good product! I never thought an Emerson would outperform a Toshiba.
    It all comes down to some weird compatibility issue with Benq and Toshiba.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2005
  9. sadsac

sadsac Guest

If you read that link I posted and other reviews of other standalones on www.videohelp.com, you'll see that ALL players have media that they like and media that they dislike.

It's just that your player doesn't like the disks you've been asking it to play. I would recommend that you stick with media that you KNOW will be compatible.

10. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

For those whom that has issue with their DVD Player(s). I say just get a "Philips DVP 642" why? this is why? It's got Progressive Scan, plus this baby can play/read nearly everything around the world - such as vcd/svcd/cd/cd-r/dvd/dvd-r/+r/-rw/+rw, in addition, it can play divx(avi) format. With that being said; it's pretty cheap with a price of $69 from Target and Walmart. Not only that, but you can turn this baby into a "Region Free" player also. I have one for nearly a year and it works like a champ. Even with dvd-r/+r/-rw/+rw movies that I burned with 8X from brand such as TDK, Sony, Fuji, Maxell, Memorex (by fuji) and it's still shines like new and happy.

11. flames89

flames89 Guest

The model of Toshiba DVD player I have IS a PROGRESSIVE scan player.
    I don't think the progressive scan feature has anything to do with this problem. It's clearly a case of the Toshiba player, not liking the Benq DVD's that I have burned.
    It has played DVD+R and DVD-R both, with no problems before, with different brands. Fuji was no problem, Memorex was no problem, both formats too.
    My luck, I see a 100 pack of Benq's on sale. What a good deal I thought!
    My next player will be an Emerson. Like I said before, this supposedly 'low end' player will play damn near anything you shove into it.

12. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

IF the dvd player says progressive scan then it has red,green,blue outputs (Component output). Which is much better than s-video signal if your TV can accept it. Hint (HD TV). The phillips alchol talks about sounds like a good player. If it will play divx that's impressive.

Good Luck

Spacedust

13. arniebear

arniebear Active member

My Toshiba DVD is very particular in its likes, it does not like Memorex and sometimes it won't play Fuji. It will play disks made on my NEC but will freeze if the disks were burned on my Iomega. Toshiba's are extremely sensitive to errors. I have cheapo Apex and Cyberhome DVD players and they do not give a crap, I could feed them a dish and they would work.

14. rjessa

rjessa Regular member

Yes, it seems the cheaper players work with all sorts of media, they have very wide tolerances, whereas the more expensive ones are too sensitive. Soon though I feel all the new players will play all diff types of media and formats.