1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP - Help please! (Yes, I'm a noob...)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by MEnnis01, Oct 2, 2007.

1. MEnnis01

MEnnis01 Member

Just so you know, I am trying to connect with:-

a CAT5E crossover cable
    a DELL LATITUDE laptop [on Win2000]
    a SOFTMODDED xbox using UNLEASHX dashboard

I HAVE NO ROUTER, NO XP, AND A CRAPPY USB INTERNET THINGY!

I have tried all the guides that I've found, none worked, and I am not sure if my "network and Dial-up Connections" are right... If you could help me do this WITHOUT using XP I would be really happy!

I have tried the cmd to ping the xbox - which did not work - and my IP is now on the 192.168.0.x. and is NOT the same as the xbox [I have NO FIREWALL - which means nothing to configure...] and my xbox is fairly default settings (The last guide changed it to 192.168.0.3)

I would like to use STATIC as I have NO ROUTER - and I don't plan on getting one - I just forked out £10 for the CAT5E crossover cable, and its a Belkin if that helps...

If you could give me as much info as you can It would mean a lot...

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

My networking tutorial will tell you everything! The guide is based around XP, however you should be able to work out the difference to Win 2000!

3. MEnnis01

MEnnis01 Member

yes, but that's the problem - I've read that and I haven't got the same settings:-

do I use [Com1 / WAN Miniport / LPT1] ?
    do I use [PPP / SLIP] ?
    where do I input the Subnet Mask?
    where do I input the Gateway?
    ...and do I check "Use default gateway on remote network" ?
    what is the "WINS" ?

do I edit the Protocol [do I need it?!?]
    do I edit File and Printer sharing? [do I need it?!?]

4. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Read scroll down and read the bold red print: "Settings for 192.168.x.x network"
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/523607

Every windows operating system is the same, (i don't know about vista). Do what it says, take some time to read it, you'll get it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  5. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Win 2000 is the SAME engine that XP uses. They will be almost identical! Use the guide, set what it tells you and forget about everything else!

6. MEnnis01

MEnnis01 Member

um, right..... whoops!

I just stumbled across this by accident, but I had clicked Connect Directly to another computer instead of
    Accept Incoming Connections I guess... and I can't remember reading about this problem anywhere else, so it might help total IDIOTS like myself to point this out somewhere? I'll let you know if/ when this works...

lol - "I have tried all the guides that I've found, none worked, and I am not sure if my "network and Dial-up Connections" are right..."

7. MEnnis01

MEnnis01 Member

scrap that - didn't work...

8. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Before you bother going any further, to save a lot of pain.. is your 2000 running on NTFS or FAT32 filesystem?

Now on 2000.. there isn't much difference with XP apart from the determination to use DHCP on a dialup adapter instead of a lan.
    You will probably need to change the tcp/ip entry to remove the "dialup adapter" and just get raw lan connection instead.

Check this out, and then see what is different.
    http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,6156-1407367,00.html (second section)

You need a STATIC configuration.. so no dhcp, set your numbers yourself.

Don't put anything in any "default gateway" entry on the computer..that normally breaks direct comp to comp networking (much pain finding that one back when) on the xbox it doesn't hurt to put the ip of the laptop in the default gateway settings.

pc numbers

ip ::192,168.0.1
    mask:255.255.255.0
    gate:....blank...

xbox numbers

ip ::192.168.0.10
    mask:255.255.255.0
    gate:192.168.0.1

setup network = yes

skip setup if no connection = NO

static = no dhcp

Check further down in the dash settings for FTP = YES (enabled, on)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2007
  9. MEnnis01

MEnnis01 Member

After a lot of trouble I took my laptop to a computer shop to see if they could find anything, and it seems that my "NIC has been installed and configured correctly - yet missing the BIOS..." They don't know how that one could have happened, and I had this second hand - So to cut a long story short - I'm not really going to be able to do this after all(!) Thanks for all the help, though... :(

10. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

A laptop shouldn't have these issues. The manufacture installs the parts so that they can work appropriately according to the specification of the motherboard and bios. Wipe the hard drive and reinstall the operating system. Computer shops should not be trusted, they can give you a bad diagnostic reading just to pick your wallet.