1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP/ Networking Question??? Ask Here...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by chunkhead, Jun 18, 2007.

1. dickalan

dickalan Member

Hello???

2. whitore1

whitore1 Member

Hi. You won't be able to do much if you can't ftp into your xbox. And your problem is that it's not set to static ip. You'll want to turn "use static ip" to yes. If that's not a static ip, you're going to have trouble connecting. Also keep in mind that your computer should be set to be the host, meaning you must set the static ip to 192.168.0.1, with the gateway set to default (just click on the blank field and it'll be set. If you can't get that to work, use unleashx. I haven't had any problems with that. Note that messing with your ip can sometimes take out your internet, so if the internet doesn't work, you'll have to change your computer's ip back to automatic.

As for watching youtube on your xbox, you can't. You can download the flv files and convert them to avi, then upload them onto your xbox (I don't think the media player supports flv, you could try it, though). But as far as I know, the only online capabilities that the xbox has is on xbox live.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  3. dickalan

dickalan Member

you're wrong on almost every point you just posted. I'm watching youtube right now actually. I posted the same problem over here:
    http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47503

They solved all my problems, my ip IS set for dhcp.

Here is how i got some more stuff working:
    http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47615

For youtube i just need to download a new script.
    If you don't know about xbmc's scripts and plugins. You're in for a nice suprise!!!
    Thanks anyway

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  5. varnull

varnull Guest

It also has a few problems with rmvb ;)

If you want to have a play with HD content.. the latest x264 standalone codec from the cccp pack works quite well. Drop it in the xbmp codecs directory... then depending on your xbmc version you might have to have a play with the format/id links in the xbmc system dirs. I haven't really played about with it that much TBH.. any HD junk I come across I wither watch on my pc or convert to something sensible.

6. whitore1

whitore1 Member

Wow, that's crazy. I've been running UnleashX on a softmodded system and I'd been having all sorts of problems on DHCP. They'd all been solved by changing to static.

Sorry for tossing out the wrong info, I figured that xbmc would run about the same as evox. Congrats on getting the solution! It's also nice to learn new things, color me impressed.

7. tehn00b

tehn00b Member

hi all
    i followed the tutorial exactly
    but...i get a strange error:

WinSock 2.0 -- OpenSSL 0.9.8i 15 Sep 2008
    [R] Connecting to XBOX -> IP=192.168.0.5 PORT=21
    [R] Connected to XBOX
    [R] Connection failed (Connection lost)
    [R] Delaying for 120 seconds before reconnect attempt #1
    [R] Retry attempt Aborted

i have setup D. thanks in advance!!1

rememeber, im a newbie!

8. Swango

Swango Member

tehnoob....

is your network IP in DHCP or STATIC? I know it can be done either way but working with FTP programs I always find it easiest to go DHCP which gives me an IP something like 192.168.1.105 where a STATIC IP looks like the one you listed. Also make sure your user name and password are both xbox ( I think one is in all caps but can not remember)

9. tehn00b

tehn00b Member

Thank you so much for your reply!! I've tried DHCP but i don't get an IP. i know I'm using the right user name and password (they're both in lowercase, i checked). here's a little piece of info that i left out; it hangs after:

[R] Connected to XBOX

thanks again for your advice

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  10. Swango

Swango Member

Tehnoob.... ok I am going to need more info from you.

Are you using no router and a crossover? As you refer to setup D?

What dash are you using (unleash X .....Evolution X.... XBMC ???)

As I can tell you have to use static IP in that set up.

From Chunkhead in this thread:

Your Xbox normally comes configured with the 192.168.x.x network. It's your call as to what network you run it on, it doesn't matter in the end, just as long as they are both on the same one (Xbox-PC).

Settings for 192.168.x.x network

IP: 192.168.0.3 (My PC)
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (Subnet of the network, Class C)
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

We are going to use a Static IP scheme to talk between the network. We use this so we ALWAYS know where the Xbox is and it will ALWAYS work.

To setup a Static IP address for your PC:

Start>Control Panel>Network Connections

Right Click on your 'Local Area Connection', click 'Properties

Click on 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), then 'Properties'

Change to 'Use the following IP address:', and enter one of the two settings from above (10.1.1.3 OR 192.168.0.3) into the circled area. Ignore the DNS settings, they're for internet access (We don't need those).

Ok, your PC is now setup with a Static IP address.

What about the Xbox?

Turn on your Xbox, navigate to the network settings screen (We'll use Evox for this example)

You can clearly see where we are going with this. Yep, you need to simply give the Xbox an IP address on the Network that the PC is on.

If you chose the 10.1.1.3 setting, give the Xbox 10.1.1.5.
    If you chose the 192.168.0.3 setting, give the Xbox 192.168.0.5
    Keep the Subnet Mask and default Gateway the same as the PC.

That's it, they are now on the same network.

Open FlashFXP, Click on the following...

On the next screen, Enter the following,
    Site Name: My Xbox
    IP Address: The IP address of your Xbox (10.1.1.5 or 192.168.0.5)
    User Name: xbox
    Password: xbox

Click on "Apply', then 'Connect'. If all went well you should see the following screen

That's it. You can now drag and drop from either site, just like windows explorer.

Speaking of which, you can also use Windows Explorer instead of FlashFXP (or any other 3rd party Client for that matter).

11. tehn00b

tehn00b Member

erm...sorry.

im using unleash x, i am connected to the internet using a wifi usb adapter (myessentials is the brand). i am using a crossover to xbox. if you need a diagram, here it is:
    [xbox]=-=-=-=[computer]====[usb wifi]~~~~~[router]------[modem]--web

(-=-=-= is the crossover, ------ is the ethernet/normal phone cable)
    (~~~~~~~ is the waves of wifi)
    i have configured my i.p. to static. they are on the same subnet, dns, even the default gateway. my monitor pooped on me, so i might not try any suggestions until i gets a new one.
    -Noob
    [edit] OMG I AM SOOOOO SORRY! i meant i have setup e!!!! [edit]

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  12. aizen13

aizen13 Regular member

Im about to attempt this tutorial for "set-up B". Should I just follow the original tutorial as stated in the first page?

13. Swango

Swango Member

If your Xbox and computer will connect thru a wired router then yes that is what you want.

14. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

Need assistance. Cannot connect to XBOX from PC and really wanna get a bigger HDD in tonight yet! Using setup like "B" I believe. Laptop has wireless, but I hooked in stright cable to router. XBOX is straight cabled to router. Router is Linksys WRT54G.
    XBOX-
    IP--192.168.0.2
    Sub--255.255.255.0
    Gate--192.168.0.100

LAPTOP in ipconfig-
    Ethernet LAN
    IP 192.168.1.104
    sub--255.255.255.0
    gate--192.168.1.1

Ethernet Adapter(wireless)
    IP--192.168.1.101
    sub--255.255.255.0
    gate--192.168.1.1

I'm thinking it has something to do with the Gate, but I can't get that to change in the XBOX. Running DCHP. Auto detect enabled and FTP enabled. Anonymous not allowed and is unchecked in FlashFXP.

15. Swango

Swango Member

@tommyd13....
    have the same router and it looks like you have your Xbox set to tatic=yes. Go into your xbox-settings-network and change to either staic=no or dhcp whichever you have the IP should then look like your laptop IP just a number or to off like your laptop is 192.168.1.104 then your xbox will be 192.168.1.1xx the last 2 numbers being from 02-10 not 101 or 104 because those are taken but like 102 103 something of that nature. than any ftp program should work fine.

16. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

@Swango-thanks for the response. I just turned on XBOX again.
    Current IP=192.168.1.111
    Enable= YES,
    Type = DHCP
    IP = 192.168.0.2
    Sub = 255....
    Gate = 192.168.0.100

Laptop IPCONFIG

IP = 192.168.1.104
    Sub = 255...
    Gate = 192.168.1.1

I put it on DHCP and changed ENABLE to NO and only the DHCP and IP address were still there, so I switched it back to YES, but I cant change any of the numbers. BTW-have wireless in laptop turned off. Running straight to router. Wired from router to XBOX. It's not a security thing, is it?(in my router settings)

ENTIRELY MY FAULT! I had to use the "CURRENT IP" all the way at the top, not the IP addy a couple spots down. I typed that in and it connected instantly! Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  17. Swango

Swango Member

@tommyd13

yep, that was the problem....have fun with your Xbox