1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP/ Networking Question??? Ask Here...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by chunkhead, Jun 18, 2007.

1. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Yep, I see it! You have a 'Line StatusNo Link! '

That mens you physically have no connection. Either you are using the wrong cable or your cable is defective.

For ease of use, try a direct connection first (Xbox-PC). You'll need a crossover cable (see above). If you can get that to work, we can then troubleshoot the rest!

2. dsd1977

dsd1977 Guest

O.K, i purchased a crossover cable only a few days ago, so i dont think it is defective. I also purchased an Ethernet Cable incase I may need it because the guy at the shop were i got it from didnt know if i needed a crossover or ethernet cable to connect 2 computers together.
    You said to try a direct connection, Xbox to PC. I suppose this means that i just connect the Xbox to the PC via the crossover cable from my PC's ethernet port? What do i lookfor to tell me if it is working or not?

3. dsd1977

dsd1977 Guest

Also, what is an SNTP server? Will my changing the server address to match the ip have an adverse affect?

4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Forgot about the SNTP. The crossover is for direct connection as you described. The main tutorial is designed around this concept. Just make sure that the 'ipconfig' echoes your changes.

5. yabadaba

yabadaba Member

I setup my box as explained above and my pc the same and i'm getting a "No Link!" even though i'm using a brand new cable and tried 2 different pci cards on my comp (the one that came with sbc yahoo and a Dynex card) I think that even though the info is set right it probably has something to do with the red X that goes through any connection in my Network Connections tab that the xbox is setup for. Under the "LAN or High-Speed Internet" section of Network Connections I have 3 connections, my DSL and two that are disabled and have tried this with all of them. I seem to be getting no connection out of either ethernet cards (both work, I've tried them with DSL and it reads it right away) and my geeksquad crossover cable (which is a crossover cable, I checked the color of the wires in the plugs) also works fine with DSL but no luck on this. Any ideas?

6. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Chunkhead.. Thanks for trying, but it's a pretty fruitless mission.

More interesting and more likely to get results with seeing the ifconfig results from the users PC than the evox settings.

As with all things M$ if at first it doesn't work.. reboot both.. and reboot again.

To people using a router.. set everything to "DHCP" auto.

Static with xover direct connect.. check the settings on the PC end carefully.. and DO NOT put any default gateway settings on the pc.
    Make the default gateway number on the xbox the same as the PC ip... then reboot the xbox. You also need file and printer sharing turned on in most cases.

Finally.. remember the xbox network address is ftp://xbox:xbox@192.168.xxx.xxx/21

Now how do you go about setting this up static in Linux?

7. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

@ yabadaba

I can only assume that the NIC on your Xbox is causing the issue! It seems to be the only thing you haven't confirmed!?

As for the other two NICs you are refering to, have you got an On-board NIC and then two PCI cards?

Multiple NICs can cause numerous headaches, but shouldn't really affect our situation. What I suggest is to ensure that you only have ONE extra NIC after your DSL NIC, uninstall the NIC, reinstall it and setup the NIC IP settings as suggested above. When you have done that can you please provide a copy of your 'ipconfig /all' command.

Also to make life simpler, you should really invest in a cheap Hub or Switch! $20 will get you a perfect one!

8. yabadaba

yabadaba Member

I'm an idiot... My cable isn't a crossover cable after all the wires are just crossed up in the plugs themselves, plus the bestbuy guy telling me this would work fine threw me off. anyway I'm going to go get a new cord but was wondering if it mattered at all if I went with a straight to crossover cable converter or if it had to be an actual crossover cable?

9. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

@ yabadaba

You can easily tell which cable you have by looking at the two ends side-by-side and comparing. If one one is different from the other, then it's a crossover cable. If they are the same, it's a Straight Through! Look at the pics at the start of this thread!

You can use a converter, just as long as the signal is crossed when it hits the other end!

You DSL will have a Straight through, compare them!

10. Chris6372

Chris6372 Guest

@ J0hnnyga

Ok, I've had a look at what you are talking about and I can see your frustration.

The file "System\FileZilla Server.xml" has become corrupted. Copy it over again and you're back in business. The easiest way to do this would be to re-install XBMC (Upgrade) via AID v4.0 or use one of the Xbox file editors and copy the file over manually, but I'd use AID!

I'm in the same boat; but this is a friends box and I wanted to copy some files off of it. His FileZilla Server.xml is 0.0 kb, while mine is 8.9kb (give or take) How can I copy my FileZilla to his machine. I don't want to re-install XBMC (his was done a while ago-I don't want to screw it up!) I just need to replace that file. I searched for xbox editors, but came up short; or rather, most seemed a bit over my head. I can ftp to my box, and I copied the file to my PC, no just need a way to put it on his box.....

Thanks!

11. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

There is no harm in upgrading XBMC. It's quite smart and will even keep his settings! The newest versions are much better and more stable anyway. They also use the latest codecs.

This way is MUCH easier then messing with the actual files. That will almost definately destroy XBMC!

12. dsd1977

dsd1977 Guest

@CHUNKHEAD...

i have established a network connection between my xbox & pc (finally) using my crossover cable. I am using the following ip's:
    PC: 192.168.0.3
    SUBNET: 255.255.255.0
    gateway: 192.168.0.1

XBOX:192.168.0.2
    SUBNET: 255.255.255.0
    gateway: 192.168.0.1

At first, when i tried FTP with FlashFXP, it didnt work.
    I then went into network connections/icp/tcp protocols/properties
    and clicked advanced settings. I saw that ftp was disabled!
    I enabled ftp and tried again.
    It worked!!
    For About 5 seconds...
    i recieve the following message:
    Connecting to my xbox-> IP=192.168.0.2PORT=21
    Connected to my xbox
    Connection failed(Connection lost)
    I have advanced a little since i last posted, but i am still essentially stuck at the FTP part of backing up.
    In site manager of FlashFXP if you click on the advanced tab there is a subheading:
    Bind Socket to IP
    in the scroll down it gives me 3 ip's
    it also gives me the <default> option
    which ip do i bind to?
    When i tried binding on <default> i got the following message:

Connecting to my xbox-> IP=192.168.0.2PORT=21
    BIND 192.168.0.2-Error: 10049: Can't assign requested address
    Connected to my xbox

13. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

@ dsd1977

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Change the Xbox IP address to 192.168.0.5

Sometimes 0.2 will be reserved internally.

In my FlashFXP, the 'Bind Socket to IP' is set to (default). My scroll menu only has my fixed PC address of 10.1.1.3.

Do you have anything else using ethernet ports on your computer at the same time (internet, etc). If not, make your 'Default Gateway' the same address as your PC IP address.

Don't forget to change the new IP address for the Xbox in FlashFXP and also to 'Apply' the settings!

14. dsd1977

dsd1977 Guest

@CHUNKHEAD....

I did as you suggested and changed the xbox IP to 192.168.0.5,
    and I am still getting the same result when I FTP:

Connecting to my xbox-> IP=192.168.0.5PORT=21
    Connected to my xbox

I have been experimenting with my network settings and I have done something strange (to me, anyway).

Do you remember my weird IPconfig settings?
    To refresh your memory, it appeared that i had an external connection, and i had Local Area Connection on ethernet, which was disconnected, & Local Area Connection 2 via USB, which was connected and running fine.
    What I found out was that by putting the static IP and Subnetmask into the disconnected L.A.C. (ethernet) and using my default IP (IPconfig settings) in the USB connected L.A.C. , was that I actually Had a higher success rate in establishing a strong network between my PC an my XBOX. What I mean by strong network is that when I used a static IP on my USB L.A.C. & didn't edit my disconnected Ethernet L.A.C., I always recieved the message: Limited Network Connection, access to Certain Sites may be Limited or Unavailable..Blab,Blab & so on....
    NOW... I am able to access my regular internet connection (optusnet) while SIMULTANEOUSLY maintaining a network connection between my PC and XBOX, as long as the XBOX is switched on, I have an active network connection regardless to wether I am accessing the net through a different IP and Gateway.( Which I am doing at this very moment!)

My question has to be: Would running a Static IP at the same time as an Automatic IP have any adverse affect on my system or my FTP attempt? ( of course, I know that I cannot attempt an FTP via Static while browsing the net via Auto.. Yes, I tred and failed)

Also is there some way I can use this weird connectivity to my advantage? I've become obsessed with FTPing My xbox!
    Not because I desperately NEED to FTP, but because the FTPing continues to elude me despite all my efforts and all of your epertize!

Can I also pick your brain on another query,

These are the settings on My Dashboard (EVOX) for Ethernet MAC address: 00.00.04.00.00.00 But in MS dash/ Network Settings in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, it states the MAC address as:00.50.f2.d8.2d.33. I thought that if ichanged the MAC address to 00.50.f2.d8.2d.33, it may have a positive affect on my FTP endeavors.

In MS dash/ Network Settings/Advanced, you have access to the MAC address, so I changed it. But for some reason, it doesn't STAY changed. It keeps Reverting back to 00.00.04.00.00.00.
    I have tried to enter into the memory secton on MS dash to see if there is some way to save the MAC address, but for some unknown reason, I can no longer access the memory section.

Also... the DNS settings in EVOX state nothing.(I cleared them)
    Should I enter into the DNS field 0.0.0.0, like in the screen shot of the EVOX dash that you posted some time ago, or do I enter in the actual DNS addresses that are listed in IPconfig?

15. dsd1977

dsd1977 Guest

@CHUNKHEAD....

I did as you suggested and changed the xbox IP to 192.168.0.5,
    and I am still getting the same result when I FTP:

Connecting to my xbox-> IP=192.168.0.5PORT=21
    Connected to my xbox

I have been experimenting with my network settings and I have done something strange (to me, anyway).

Do you remember my weird IPconfig settings?
    To refresh your memory, it appeared that i had an external connection, and i had Local Area Connection on ethernet, which was disconnected, & Local Area Connection 2 via USB, which was connected and running fine.
    What I found out was that by putting the static IP and Subnetmask into the disconnected L.A.C. (ethernet) and using my default IP (IPconfig settings) in the USB connected L.A.C. , was that I actually Had a higher success rate in establishing a strong network between my PC an my XBOX. What I mean by strong network is that when I used a static IP on my USB L.A.C. & didn't edit my disconnected Ethernet L.A.C., I always recieved the message: Limited Network Connection, access to Certain Sites may be Limited or Unavailable..Blab,Blab & so on....
    NOW... I am able to access my regular internet connection (optusnet) while SIMULTANEOUSLY maintaining a network connection between my PC and XBOX, as long as the XBOX is switched on, I have an active network connection regardless to wether I am accessing the net through a different IP and Gateway.( Which I am doing at this very moment!)

My question has to be: Would running a Static IP at the same time as an Automatic IP have any adverse affect on my system or my FTP attempt? ( of course, I know that I cannot attempt an FTP via Static while browsing the net via Auto.. Yes, I tred and failed)

Also is there some way I can use this weird connectivity to my advantage? I've become obsessed with FTPing My xbox!
    Not because I desperately NEED to FTP, but because the FTPing continues to elude me despite all my efforts and all of your epertize!

Can I also pick your brain on another query,

These are the settings on My Dashboard (EVOX) for Ethernet MAC address: 00.00.04.00.00.00 But in MS dash/ Network Settings in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, it states the MAC address as:00.50.f2.d8.2d.33. I thought that if ichanged the MAC address to 00.50.f2.d8.2d.33, it may have a positive affect on my FTP endeavors.

In MS dash/ Network Settings/Advanced, you have access to the MAC address, so I changed it. But for some reason, it doesn't STAY changed. It keeps Reverting back to 00.00.04.00.00.00.
    I have tried to enter into the memory secton on MS dash to see if there is some way to save the MAC address, but for some unknown reason, I can no longer access the memory section.

Also... the DNS settings in EVOX state nothing.(I cleared them)
    Should I enter into the DNS field 0.0.0.0, like in the screen shot of the EVOX dash that you posted some time ago,
    or do I enter in the actual DNS addresses that are listed in IPconfig?

16. dsd1977

dsd1977 Guest

sorry everyone, i accidentally posted the same thing twice.

FEEL FREE TO HURL ABUSE.....

17. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

@ dsd1977

Ok, wow...

Firstly, my MAC address states the same number (00.4 blah blah), I clearly know that's not right as I understand how MAC addresses are conceived. I wouln't worry about that. The NICs will exchange MAC information themselves well before they hit the Network Layer (IP addressing).

As for running a Static and a DHCP, of course you can.

Just as a thought... do you have the video cable plugged into the Xbox when you are trying to FTP? You have to do that! It doesn't have to be attached to a TV, just the XBox...

18. Lelouche

Lelouche Member

Hi, i'm having the same problem as dsd1977 where, using FlashFXP, it connects to the Xbox, but then loses the connection...i've followed all the advice, but nothing's worked so far... :(

19. dsd1977

dsd1977 Guest

CHUNKHEAD>>>>

The video cable?
    OHHHHHHH. I have not been FTPing with the video cable attached.
    I gave some thought to it the other day, but thinking that there was no way to hook it up to xbox & PC,i assumed it was useless.
    Thankyou CHUNKHEAD, i will try it and let you know!!!

20. dsd1977

dsd1977 Guest

CHUNKHEAD...

I plugged in the video cable into the back of my xbox,
    what i noticed is that the xbox stays on instead of automatically switching off every few minutes and the led stays green(as per normal) instead of flashing green and orange, like it was without the video cable.
    As for the FTPing, no change )-: