1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP/ Networking Question??? Ask Here...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by chunkhead, Jun 18, 2007.

1. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

It's not hard if you know what you are doing.

If you've never seen it before, it becomes overwhelming VERY fast!

I remember when I was first trying to FTP to the Xbox. Seems so silly looking back. I'm a network engineer now! ;)

2. Izzy1665

Izzy1665 Member

Chunk,

I actually got an SMB Share to work this morning, of course I gave up setting it up via the Xbox and just modified the sources.xml file and FTP'd it back over to make it work…since FTP finally started working too. It’s a step in the right direction though.

I wish there was an idiot-proof explanation of how to setup the network to include setting up the shares. Everything I have read on so many sites seems to leave things out or not explain it enough. Much of it is so technical and the authors of the support-posts appear to assume the original poster has more understanding than most really do. Your descriptions and explanations Chunk are thorough but I still had problems as you well know. Of course this will be an issue all the time with so many brands & versions of networking equipment (ie. routers, router setups and so on).

The fact that you, Chunk, were able to help me is great and it probably helped that I have a rather good understanding of computers and a knack of figuring things out…eventually. The SMB Share thing kinda just fell into place for me this morning; I was kind of surprised when it happened. I now understand how it works from the sources.xml side but still cannot figure out how to make the share work from the Xbox side of the house.

Many Many thanks Chunk, keep up the fine work for us Xbox network challenged folk.

Bob in Fla.

3. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

The SMB shares tutorial is at the start of this one. I felt it was pretty straight forward after you get FTP connection.

I'm open to suggestions! :)

4. Izzy1665

Izzy1665 Member

It is very straightforward too BUT keep in mind that you also know how to do it already so it will make sense to you. Try to look at it through the eyes of a 10 yr old who just got an Xbox modified by a friend or something. Someone who needs to be walked through the steps one by one. Thats where I was coming from, thats all.

From what I have found up to now, you are by far the easiest to understand and most helpful at every step of the process too. Keep it up Chunk, we need more like you.

Now, I am not sure why but I "could not connect to my network server" through my SMB Shares now, they worked fine last night except fro some folder permissions within the Shared Documents folder I had setup for share. I could see the folder but nothing else showed. All I did was go into Windows Explorer and shared the folders within theShared Documetns folder, nothing else. I FTP'd it back over and rebooted the Xbox only to get a no network server access prompt. I do have weather so I know its not a "xbox on the network" connection issue.

Any ideas?

5. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

It'll be a settings issue. Here's my settings for my XBMC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All my passwords and usernames are 'xbox'.

I can't show you anymore of the PC settings as I'm on Vista now and it's completely different!

Basically, as long as you have made the 'User' called 'xbox' on your XP machine and give it the password 'xbox'. all should be well. Follow the screenshots to ensure that all the folders you want to share are shared with 'xbox'. Delete the 'Everybody' user...

You files should show up in SMB Shares then!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  6. Izzy1665

Izzy1665 Member

Now that is the kind of "idiot-proof" I was talking about. Most people are so visual when it comes to learning. I checked your screen pics against my xbox settings and other than a different IP/Gateway/DNS addy and the "Enable Web Server" settings, I am for the most part exactly the same, same usernames and passwords too. I really mean that nothing has changed since last night except I shared some of the PC folders within the PC folders I already had shared and could see through the SMB share.

Why would I get this prompt on an administrator account when trying to modify the permissions within Sharing & Security?
    [​IMG]

This is how my sources.xml file is setup for now. I will fine tune it later for exact share paths. See anything wrong here?
    [​IMG]

I could see the PC HD Access last night and did not touch that share at all this morning.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  7. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I don't think you can share the root folders! I had that problem myself. To fix this, I just made a folder within the drive, made it 'Shared' and then I place everything I want to share within it!

Try that...

8. cableguy6

cableguy6 Member

i have unleashx and i got a nes emulator but i dont know where to put it my xbox

9. Izzy1665

Izzy1665 Member

Ok Chunk, I am in business now.

Modifications to the UserData/Sources.xml file created working access. I created the following listing and went from there.

<!-- My Video Shares !-->
    <video>
    <default></default>
    <source>
    <name>Video</name>
    <path>F:\Video\</path>
    </source>
    <source>
    <name>PC HD Access</name>
    <path>smb://xbox:xbox@192.168.2.2/</path>
    </source>

This allowed me access to my root drive (C:/) where I could see the folders but no files within until I setup those folders for sharing also.

I created an XBMC folder (C:/XMBC) and setup the sharing. I can now see anything I put into this folder. I also setup sharing on "My Music", "My Pictures" and certain folders within 2 additional harddrives I have installed and can see them all from the Xbox/XBMC Dash screen over my TV. Even watched "Hot Fuzz" last night which is copied intol a E:/Storage/MOVIES folder on a secondary hard drive in my computer. I clicked on my XBox "Movies" folder then accessed my share called "PC HD Access" then selected the "MOVIES" folder then the movie I wanted and it started on its own.

This is the sources.xml entry for the folder I specifically called XBMC on my C:/ drive where I planned to dump only the stuff I wanted to share but I am happy with all the other shares I have so I might leave them alone.
    <source>
    <name>PC XBMC Share</name>
    <path>smb://xbox:xbox@192.168.2.2/XBMC/</path>
    </source>
    </video>

I have also created shares for my Xbox music foled and Pictures folder to see those filess on my PC which all work with no problems.

Chunkhead, your assistance was most valuable in my figuring it out. Once again I really apprecaite your help.

Bob

10. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Ok, cool!

I have a folder available for each type on my PC (Movies, TV, Music, etc)

Here's an example, I just drop the files into there and leave them there.

[​IMG]

Obviously, each folder is shared with "xbox\xbox" so the Xbox can easily find it.

Then in XBMC, I set up shortcuts, you can see the ones I already have:

[​IMG]

If you navigate through to your PC (SMB Shares) you can select the available shared folders, regardless of where they are on your PC.

[​IMG]

Then from the original main screen (Video) you can see the shortcuts you made, just delete everything else that you don't need (tidyness).

From within your shortcut's folder you should see all the files available.

[​IMG]

If you then use the 'Info' button on your remote (I can't remember the controller button, have a play around) you can get XBMC to go online and get the movie or Music information for you and add it to the library!

The library is then easily maintained and easy to use, you just select the film and click play!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  11. Izzy1665

Izzy1665 Member

I learn something new everytime you post Chunk.

My only issues with "Library Mode" is that I show nothing "scanned" so cannot get any info on the movies. Mine are all saved in the original DVD discs format (takes less room than an .avi) but I have no problem watching any of them.

Research time once again.

12. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Almost all of my movies are 700Mb! How small are your DVD format files?

In case there are any questions on the quality, the 700Mb rips are flawless!

13. Izzy1665

Izzy1665 Member

My DVD's are copied and shrunk to about 4gb each. I always thought .avi files were larger than that and I meant to say mine take more room than an avi, sorry bout that.

14. rlcarreon

rlcarreon Member

i need help!!!

i have a pc-xbox setup c

pc

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

xbox

manual ip address 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.0.1
    DNS 192.168.0.1

i can file share and connect to pc but i cant connect to internet(lookups, scripts, etc)

15. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Change your Default Gateway to what ever IP Address your internet Modem is.

16. JimmyChoo

JimmyChoo Member

Wassup guys, sorry for being a Noob but I need 2 ask this imperative question! See I just received my modded Xbox 360 and am really eager to try this FTP stuff. SO, the question is it possibl from the following set up;

My wireless router is connected to my pc via an ethernet cable. My computer only has one ethernet port. I have a crossover cable for my 360 and was wondering exactly which goes where...if you know what I mean o.0

17. gwhittle

gwhittle Member

hi i keep having this problem same with using ftp software it tells me my HDD is full when i know for certain there is about 114GB left on it. as you can see in the picture below this is the error message i get whenever i try to up music, picture, games, skins the lot, have you got any ideas on what could be stopping it. I am just using a simple crossover cable from my xbox to my Ethernet port on my laptop and my dashboard is evolution x
    [​IMG]

18. Izzy1665

Izzy1665 Member

Jimmy, get another straight through cable for the Xbox to the router, dont use the crossover cable anymore.

Like this example

[​IMG]

19. JimmyChoo

JimmyChoo Member

So, do you mean connect ethernet cable from xbox to port on router, and then another ethernet cable from another port on the router to the computer? Because I have like 4 extra ports =D

20. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Exactly!

This is great, your all helping each other now... my work is done!

;)