1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ftp wont work (quick reply plz)

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by 3lement, Mar 31, 2007.

1. 3lement

3lement Regular member

Alright i know how to ftp but im kinda stuck. i got a category 5E patch cable. (i was told it was a crossover cable) and i9 have flashFTP. so i go into it and it keeps saying that it cant find network. i think i messed up the ip thing. here my computer stats. http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=115029 (click download when you click the link you dont have to download it it will show you a preview.) If someone can tell me what to put in the quick connect box that would be a big help thanks.

P.s dont know if this matters but my xbox ip says: 192.168.1.101

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  2. jmanbig

jmanbig Member

in the quick connect all u need to put is this

server or Url = xbox ip

port = 21

username and password are both xbox

that should be it if this dont work please reply and let us know

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3lement, last warning about removing those links in your sig or suffer the consequences.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

i can not get the picture, can you list the setting for the PC, Xbox and FTP program as far as the network settings?
    And you really do need to get a crossover cable

5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

6. 3lement

3lement Regular member

Yea ive gone thru like 6 tutorials none of them work. O yea and i tried doing what you said jmanbig doesnt work. And i have a patch cable (was told its a crossover cable). dont know if this has anything to do with it but i have windows vista. for some reason i keep getting "network is not reachable". does it matter if xbox is capital or not? thnx

7. jmanbig

jmanbig Member

i have vista too crap init lol

i had to disable my firewall to connect try that

in control panle click firewall then turn it off try and connect if all gos well let us know worked for me :D

8. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Network not reachable??

Then you need to set an exception in your firewall for flashfxp

The xbox address should be like this..

ftp://xbox:xbox@192.168.xxx.xxx

You can try pinging it by opening a command line box and typing

ipconfig

ping 192.168.xxx.xxx

If it times out you still have connectivity problems.
    One thing comes to mind.. have you set a default gateway in the windoze network config? If you are not using a router but instead using a direct connect leave default gateway blank.

While in those settings set tcp/ip over netbios, not sure what it does but sometimes it makes all the difference.

troubleshooting on the fly.. TBH i do this with my eyes shut kinda autopilot.. lol

quick troubleshooter..

xbox ip 192.168.1.101 (check in the dash for static... remember to save and exit, not just exit, I forgot that :)
    pc ip 192.168.1.1

subnet 255.255.255.0

gateway.. nothing

reboot xbox

and set pasv mode in flash fxp.. it's in connections>advanced (or something like it)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2007
  9. cc0711

cc0711 Member

for the longest time, i could connect to my xbox through ftp using flashFXP. this morning, i tried to connect to it but it wouldnt let me. i checked everything from ip address, login, password, port, everything. if anybody has any idea, please post! thanks!

10. janrocks

janrocks Guest

@ cc0711

What ip does your xbox dash report?

11. steimy

steimy Active member

@ 3lement
    password and user name should be lower case "xbox"

12. 3lement

3lement Regular member

Alright ill try that now. ill tell you if it works. And do you think i have the right cable? thnx

13. steimy

steimy Active member

i do not think a patch cable and a crossover cable are the same thing. If you want to know which it is then look at both ends.
    If the wires on both ends are in the same order (by color) then you have a strait through (patch) cable.

If they are in a different order on each end then they are a crossover cable. which is what you need.
    http://www.teammodders.com/forum/how-to-make-a-crossover-cable-t399.html

14. 3lement

3lement Regular member

You mean side by side or like connecting to each other(if they couls connect to each other)? And ive tried what jmanbig said but it still doesnt work. It still says network unreachable. I turned off all my firewalls and antivirus programs but still doesnt work. any suggestions? thnx

15. steimy

steimy Active member

16. 3lement

3lement Regular member

Yea i think mines a regular cable. The guy must have lied to me. Some help he was. (circuit city) O well i guess im gonna have to get a crossover cable. Do you know where i can get one. and how i can tell if its a crossover cable. without taking it out of the box. (like will it say) Thnx

17. janrocks

janrocks Guest

cat5 tech stuff.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

cat5 straight.. cat5 crossover.. It will say on the packaging as the two aren't interchangable. Holding the 2 ends side by side is the best test.. If the wires are in the same places it's straight through.

It was a long time ago I posted this....

1. disable any firewalls (or set them to ALLOW when trying to connect to your xbox).

2. Disable the LAN connection and connect the crossover cable to pc and xbox.

3. Right click the LAN connection (under START/CONTROL PANEL/NETWORK CONNECTIONS), click "properties", under the "general" tab, go down the list, click on "Internet protocol (TCP/IP)" then click properties again. Use the following settings;-
    IP Address: 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (or leave blank.. it depends a bit on your network hardware)

Click OK.

4. On your desktop, you need to see an icon labelled "My Network Places" (If its not there, right click on your desktop, click "properties", click "desktop" tab, then click "customize Desktop...", tick the box at the top for "My network places" and click OK, and again OK to exit display properties).
    Right click on "My Network Places" and select "add new network place", then click the writing which says "sign up for online storage or connect to a network server", a wizard thing pops up, click NEXT, the next screen brings up a list of service providers, highlight the 1 which says "Choose another network location........." then click NEXT, in the space type this
    ftp://xbox:xbox@192.168.1.200
    click NEXT, the next page is the name, your choice, I just put XBOX on mine, click NEXT, then untick the box (open this..... when finished", click FINISH

NOTE: ALL THE SETTINGS ABOVE ARE ASSUMING THEY ARE LEFT AS DEFAULT ON EVOX, IF YOU CHANGED THEM PUT THE PASSWORD BACK TO "XBOX" AND THE IP BACK TO 192.168.1.200 OR THESE SETTINGS WONT WORK!!!

5. On xbox, goto settings and make sure it says "use static IP" YES.
    .. In network settings check subnet: 255.255.255.0 gateway: 192.168.1.100
    Further down there is a setting for FTP.. check enabled.

6. Reboot your xbox, on evox dash it should display the IP as 192.168.1.200 (if it does not take note of step 5. and make sure the IP is set to this).

7. Re-Enable the LAN on your pc, a bubble pops up "LAN Connection 100.0 Mbps ..."

8. Finally, double click the "My Network Places" icon on your desktop and open the folder named XBOX (or whatever you specified in step 4.) and it should show you your xbox hard drive (C,E,F,X,Y,Z and D is the DVD-Rom).

thanks 2 xboxd00d over at xboxscene..(with some edits to make it work for me)....

Yup...that's the guide..

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2007
  18. steimy

steimy Active member

CompUSA has them pretty cheap. A 50 foot cable is only 12.99
    http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...=All&Nty=1&D=crossover cable&Dx=mode matchall
    other stores are a bit more pricey and that cable is not a name brand
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...##3##5&list=n&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3756907
    http://www.officedepot.com/textSearch.do?uniqueSearchFlag=true&Ntt=crossover+cable&x=20&y=13
    http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=crossover cable&origkw=crossover cable&sr=1
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=crossover+cable

that should be enough. And you can tell py looking at both ends of the cable. Like the guide i posted above you will see that a strait through cable will have the colored wires on both sides in the same order, a crossover will be in a different order.

19. 3lement

3lement Regular member

Alright i got a crossover cable it says so on the box but it still doesnt work. I turned off all my firewalls and did everything that i was supposed to do. still doesnt work. i dont know if its vista or what. any suggestions? thnx

20. steimy

steimy Active member

well, i know nothing about how Vista works with FTP, so i can't really help you there.