1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP > XBOX ???? :-(

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Alfie, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Alfie

Alfie Member

Hello All,

After spending the last weekend searching through all of the discussion's on ftp'ing a xbox. I'm Still stuck.

Before i explain my set-up etc, I'll first ask the question that hopefully somebody out there can answer and make me a very happy man!

Q. How do i ftp into my xbox????

My set-up

I believe i have a version 1 xbox, last year a placed a enighmah mod-chip inside it, and quite simply didnt utilise it.

But Know i want to try and ftp into it.

Anyways im running Win XP as a host computer which is connected to the internet with a USB cable modem.

I have placed an extra ethernet card inside for the whole purpose of sharing my internet connection.

I've connected my xbox to this ethernet card with a cross-over cable.

I aquired a copy of the latest evolution x on CD-RW and it boots up straight away on my xbox.
    (Note: Evolution X is not installed on my xbox)

In the settings in Evolution X is the following

Type .......
    IP 0.0.0.0
    Line Status 100/Full/Duplex
    Ethernet MAC Address 00:50:F2:3E:6D:0B

Setup Network YES
    Use Static IP YES
    IP 192.168.0.3
    Subnetmask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.01

DNS 0.0.0.0

etc
    etc

with this info i went on my PC and manually set up my connection in XP

I manually set the IP for the ethernet card to be

and the subnet as 255.255.255.0

I then downloaded the latest version of FlashFXP
    I set this up as so

Site name: xbox
    IP Address: 192.168.0.3 Port:21
    U/Name : xbox
    P/Word : xbox

I applied that then clicked connect and i get the following info out of it

#################################
    WinSock 2.0
    Connecting to xbox
    Connected to xbox -> IP=192.168.0.3 PORT=21
    Connection failed (Connection lost)
    Delaying for 5 seconds before reconnect attempt #1
    Connecting to xbox #1
    Delaying for 5 seconds before reconnect attempt #2
    Connecting to xbox #2
    ##########################################

This just repeats it self!

Know this is the crazy thing if i turn my xbox of and then try and connect through FlashFXP i get the following response

#######################################
    Connecting to xbox
    Delaying for 5 seconds before reconnect attempt #1
    Connecting to xbox #1
    Delaying for 5 seconds before reconnect attempt #2
    Connecting to xbox #2
    Delaying for 5 seconds before reconnect attempt #3
    #########################################

This really confuses me as shouldnt FlashFXP realise its not on???

Well thats all the info i have, I hope somebody could shine some light onto this problem for me.

Thanks in Advance

@lfie

2. datgang

datgang Member

DID YOU DISABLE ALL OTHER INTERNET CONNECTIONS WHILE TRYING TO FTP?

3. datgang

datgang Member

4. Alfie

Alfie Member

Dagtang! Thanks for you reply!

I have just disable all connections to my PC except 1 ethernet card.

Which i freshly installed and set-up using the instructions from the link you posted.

I then followed the method in that link, however due to the fact im using Evox on a boot up CD, it does not save any of the settings that i edit.

However i carried on forward,

and when using FlashFXP the messages that came up was "connection failed"

Any ideas???

5. ELVER_GUN

ELVER_GUN Regular member

1. Computer Direct Connection to Xbox
    In this configuration you have your computer and Xbox directly connected. This direct connection can either be
    with the crossover cable, or with a straight-through cable to a hub/switch and then another straight-through cable from
    the hub/switch to your Xbox. Both are "direct" connections.

2. Computer with two NICs
    In this configuration you have two NICs. One possibly going to a router or a cable or DSL modem, the other you
    wish to make a direct connection to your Xbox with. You also have the option of configuring your Xbox for live,
    xbconnect, or xlink by enabling it to get out to the internet through your computer.

3. Computer with one NIC and a router
    In this configuration you should have your computer and Xbox connected to the router. The router’s WAN port goes
    to your cable, DSL modem, or otherwise out to the internet.

*** PRE SETUP: Before you begin setting up your configurations you should cable everything up properly. Make sure
    your Xbox is booted up with the dash loaded as well so you can test the settings you will put in. If you are loading your
    dash from a CD or DVD any changes you need to make like to the evox.ini you will need to re-burn onto the disk then reboot
    Xbox with the new disk. Making changes to the evox network settings when booting from the hard drive, make sure you
    scroll all the way down when you are finished and select save and exit.

Setting up Configuration 1
    This is the simplest setup. Even if you have one of the other configurations, if you are experiencing problems
    you can always try this to help troubleshoot. Basically you can setup the [Network] Section of your evox.ini to look like
    this:
    [Network]
    SetupNetwork = Yes
    StaticIP = Yes
    Ip = 192.168.0.3
    Subnetmask = 255.255.255.0
    Defaultgateway =
    DNS1 = 0.0.0.0
    DNS2 = 0.0.0.0

You may also have SkipifNoLink and you can set that to No.
    Also verify your [FTP] Section looks like this:
    [FTP]
    Enable = Yes
    Password = xbox
    IGR = No

If you boot evox with these settings you can verify your Xbox has the correct ip either by looking on a skin that displays
    it or in settings it will display it in blue text up top. If you see No Link or No IP! Then either one of these settings
    is wrong, you don’t have it connected to your computer with the correct settings yet, or your crossover cable is bad.
    Now on your computer go to the properties of the NIC that has a crossover cable connected to the Xbox. Click on
    the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and then properties. Enter the following:
    IP Address: 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: <leave blank>
    DNS: <leave blank>

That’s it. Simple huh? Now set up your FTP Client. For FlashFXP, install the program and run it. Click on "Site Manager"
    then click to create a new site. Name it Xbox or whatever and for the IP enter 192.168.0.3, verify the port is 21. The
    username and password are both "xbox", all lower-case and without the quotes. Go to options and uncheck any check marks
    on PASV or passive mode. Apply the settings and connect.
    If it doesn’t connect see the Troubleshooting Section.

Setting up Configuration 2
    The only difference between this and configuration 1 is that you have a second NIC that has a connection to the
    internet for you. Chances are, this NIC to the internet is getting a public DHCP address like 64.238.121.12, or any such
    number. If this NIC goes to a router, you may wish to read configuration 3 and you may not need your second NIC at all.
    So when the NIC gets DHCP like this it is automatically assigned an ip, subnet, gateway, dns, etc. so you don’t need to do
    anything else to it. The only "gotcha" with this configuration is that when you configure your second NIC that goes
    direct to the Xbox you may configure it in such a way that your computer tries to access the internet through that NIC
    instead of the correct one with the public DHCP. This is a routing issue and one way to ensure this doesn’t happen is to
    configure the NIC with the connection to your Xbox exactly as in configuration 1, specifically making note that you DO NOT
    enter a gateway address. Your Xbox itself can also be setup just as in configuration 1. Refer to the Troubleshooting
    section if you are having problems and yet are set up as I described. One way to make sure you are not having routing
    issues is to use the ‘route print’ command.
    Open up a command prompt and type ‘route print’. With route print you can see what route your data packets will
    take to try to access the internet or your Xbox. What you can do is manually add a route that tells your computer that
    anytime it tries sending anything to 192.168.0.3 it should use the NIC with the direct connection the Xbox, not the one
    that goes out to the internet. To do this run the route print command. The first thing you’ll see is an interface list.
    It’ll say something like:
    Interface List
    0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
    0x2 ...00 06 5b b8 e3 33 ...... 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller
    0x3 ...00 02 2d 26 2c 74 ...... Dell TrueMobile 1150 Series Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card

So in this case the NIC going to the Xbox is 0x2, which would be IF 2 in the command. To add the static route follow this
    pattern:
    route ADD 157.0.0.0 MASK 255.0.0.0 157.55.80.1 METRIC 3 IF 2
    destination^ ^mask ^gateway metric^ ^Interface

So in our example you would type:
    route -p add 192.168.0.3 mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.2 METRIC 1 IF 2

to remove this at any time you would just type
    route delete 192.168.0.3

The other option you have if you want your Xbox to get out to the internet through your computer’s internet connection is to set up Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on your computer. How to set this is up a good thing to google search. You can also try this page http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/connect/windowsics.htm for good details. Once set up the only thing to change is to put a gateway address in your evox.ini file which should be your computer’s IP address, so in the example we’ve been using the gateway you would use is 192.168.0.2 since that is the NICs IP address.

Setting up Configuration 3
    This is sort of like configuration 2 but instead of your NIC getting a public DHCP address it should be getting an
    internal private DHCP address. This address can be anything within this range: The blocks are 10.0.0.0. to
    10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255, and 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255.
    There are very high chances your router is giving out addresses somewhere in 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x
    If this is the case your computer should be successfully getting its DHCP address from your router and if you can plug
    your Xbox into that router as well then just change your evox.ini to have StaticIP = No. So in our first configuration
    example you would just have to change that .ini to be this:
    [Network]
    SetupNetwork = Yes
    StaticIP = No
    Ip = 192.168.0.3
    Defaultgateway =
    DNS1 = 0.0.0.0
    DNS2 = 0.0.0.0

Once you set StaticIP to be No, the ip, subnet, gateway, and dns values are no longer used. You can boot your Xbox and
    see what IP it is getting from DHCP and simply FTP to that address.
    You can also still have your Xbox use a static ip so that you always no its IP address, even with a router that
    gives out DHCP. To do that make your evox.ini like this:
    [Network]
    SetupNetwork = Yes
    StaticIP = Yes
    Ip = 192.168.0.3
    Defaultgateway = 192.168.0.1
    DNS1 = 0.0.0.0
    DNS2 = 0.0.0.0

Here you’ve changed static ip back to yes and your gateway address should be the address of your router now. If your
    router is on a different subnet and by that I mean its ip is 192.168.1.1 and it is giving out dhcp address’s of
    192.168.1.x then you would make your evox.ini reflect those differences like this:
    [Network]
    SetupNetwork = Yes
    StaticIP = Yes
    Ip = 192.168.1.3
    Defaultgateway = 192.168.1.1
    DNS1 = 0.0.0.0
    DNS2 = 0.0.0.0

Just be careful if a router is giving out DHCP, make sure whatever static IP you pick for your Xbox is not already an IP
    used by something else on your network.
    If you have your one NIC connection to the internet and just want to unplug that connection and plug in a crossover to
    your Xbox when you want to FTP there is an awesome way to automate changing your NIC settings from how they need to be set
    for the internet and how they need to be set for the crossover to the Xbox. Luckily someone has a perfect tutorial for
    that and its here:
    http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/switch-network.php

Icopied and paste this from xbox-scene
    seems logical
    tryit im gonna try it right now

credits for Mr Robinson

Last edited: Oct 14, 2003
  6. GetModded

GetModded Guest

Since your loading the EvolutionX dash from a disc you need to edit the evox.ini file to a static IP before making the ISO and burning the disc.
    RustyDog

7. Alfie

Alfie Member

Wooo Hooo!! Thanks everyone for all your advice!

I have managed to get access by editing my evox.ini files to the info required by the first link i was advised to goto in this thread!

And hey presto i was in!!!!

Thanks again everyone who took time to read this thread!

If anyone out there feels that there having similar difficulties ill be happy to share this experience with them!

Cheers guys

keep up the good work guys

Thanks again