1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fujifilm with speckles in outer layer

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by sadsac, Feb 14, 2005.

1. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I'm new to this dvd burning thing. I have had great success with TDK, Sony, Maxell, and yes, even Memorex (with Ritek data codes) and HPs. I have been toying around for a while, and I finally found this site (along with videohelp.com and digitalfaq.com). Man, what a world of information! Wish I had known about this site sooner. I never realized that the manufacturers outsourced their media this much. Today, I went back and checked the media codes of my older burns. Luckily, most seem to be quality media. I bought a pack of Memorex yesterday with Moser Baer data codes. The one I tried would only burn at 4x (supposed to be 8x). I took them back as soon as I found this site (which was last night). I thought TDK was supposed to be the king of media, but when I checked my older TDK disks, I found that they were made by CMC. Everything I read about this company is negative, but the TDK disks seem to be very nice. Well, today, I decided to put what I have learned into action. I saw that BestBuy has Fuji disks for $19.99 for 50. Like a good student, I read the label and saw that they were made in Japan. I just had to try them. When I got home and checked the data code, I saw that they were Yudens! I was happy until I physically looked at the disks. And now for my question. The outer layers of the disks (most of them) seem to have speckles on them near the outer edge of the disks. The only way I can describe this is "clear speckles". I can also see "rings" or radial lines in the internal dye layer. It's almost like I'm looking at a vinyl record. I looked at all my other disks and with the exception of the Sonys having the concentric rings, none of them have the speckling on the outer edges. What's up with that? According to everyone on here, Yuden is the media to buy. Is there a difference in quality between outsource companies for different manufacturers? To ask this question better, is a TDK by Yuden better than a Fuji by Yuden? Could a TDK disk made by CMC magnetics actually be a great disk versus a Staples store brand made by CMC? Why the clear speckling on the fuji disks? My remaining Memorex by Ritek and TDK by CMC disks are perfectly spotless, clear from edge to edge, and have no concentric rings visible. Granted, I haven't tried to burn one of the fuji disks yet. Please help me wade through the muck!

2. V_Rod

V_Rod Guest

The Specs. are defects. Return them if you can. I bought a 100 pack from Best Buy and have the same problem. My players lock up when they reach the area with the specs. The more Specs. the worst it gets.

V_Rod

3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Also, make sure the fuji's you get are made in japan not in taiwan.

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

sadsac make it simply just buy TY online its just as cheap as the box stores and your getting TY.try meritline.com supermediastore.com to name a couple.

5. sadsac

sadsac Guest

The Fuji disks I bought at Best Buy were manufactured in Japan. And they are Yuden disks, according to DVD Identifier. I don't quite understand! Looking at them again, I can see some sloppy glue work around the little plastic insert that the spindle goes through. On my other disks, the disk appears to be one piece as opposed to having a smaller plastic insert. What part of the disk is made by Yuden? I mean, if Yuden made the entire disk, including the plastic insert for Fuji, I don't know if I want to buy Yuden disks from anywhere else if they are identical to these. Do the outsource companies have two lines of disks running (One line for cheaper brands and one line for higher grade disks such as TDK?) That's what I was questioning. Referring back to the TDK disks I talked about in my original post, although they come up by DVD Identifier as CMC disks, they appear to be extremely well made (to the naked eye, anyway.) Does the outsource company manufacture the whole disk, allowing the brand name company to simply print (or etch) their names on the disks, or do the brand name companies buy the dye layers from the outsource and piece them together with their own parts for the outer layers? The speckling I was referring to is in the exterior clear layer of the disk, and is not on the dye layer itself. Am I making any sense? And if I am, can someone please shed some light on the subject? It would seem to me that the brand name companies must only be buying the dye layer since the outer top layer is so much different between companies. And the top layer of any disk I look at seems to be etched and not printed on. I'm thinking that the Fuji disks I bought may have a high quality dye layer and a junk outer layer. I know the dye layer is the most important, but scratch resistance and no speckling would seem to be a quality to look for also when buying quality media! HELP!

6. budberner

budberner Guest

I bought the made in Japan fujifilm YUDEN-TO2 because the verbatim MCC-003 wern't on sale. I checked the code and since they were TY I tore up the packaging I usually save just in case. Then I noticed the visible blemishes,specks and discoloration along the outer rim. With returning them out I decided to try them. I picked the one with the most noticeable blemishes and burned a full movie right up to and through,no problem,watched the end of the movie,no problem. Decide to turn up write speed to test them further,6X Lite On 832S,still no problem. I went back and bought some more while they were still $20 for 50 You kind order them for probably less but I like to just pick up what I need, I guess TYs not at their best are still better than most, I haven't done read error tests though,like most say if you are having problems with ty they are probably fakes Thanks for everones input in this GREAT forum

7. jay33

jay33 Regular member

These specs around the outer edge are from the dye not fully covering the entire surface. Sadly, you see this quite often and from nearly every manufacturer, with some worse than others. I've had the same problem with some Fuji I bought from Best Buy and took them back. And yes, these can cause playback or burn problems.

8. sadsac

sadsac Guest

The speckles I'm referring to aren't on the dye layer itself. The dye layer apparently has a clear coating over the writing surface. The speckles I'm referring to are on this layer. I can only see the speckling if I look at the disk at an angle to the light on my desk. If I look at the disk straight, I can't see the speckles. The dye layer itself looks perfect. It almost looks like dust or minute scratches on the clear surface. I would describe it as a "sandblasted" look. Looking at the disks, it makes me want to wipe dust from them, but I tried this on one of the disks, thinking maybe it was dust. Of course, it wouldn't wipe off. Maybe I'm being too picky here, but my other brands don't display the sandblasted look. I did try burning one. Burned perfect and played perfect on my PC. Haven't tried it in the old standalone player yet. Am I looking too closely at these potentially good disks? I'm a stickler for perfection. The TDKs sure do look nice (albeit CMC made). And that glue job on the Fuji disks worries me.

9. budberner

budberner Guest

I counted seven out of the 1st 50 pack that it came in far enough to get into a full burn. I'm just going to reduce target size or use those for home video projects. Since they burned and viewed on a picky pieceosht Sanyo standalone without issue. I'm using them with confidence. I'll let you know if that changes.

10. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  11. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Am I being too picky here? DiditalFAQ explains how to tell a bad disk. They mention blemishes on the dye layer. These Fuji disks have no visible blemishes on the dye layer. Just on the clear protective layer. Maybe there's nothing wrong with them. I just want to be sure I have media that will last many years without going bad.

12. billwebso

billwebso Guest

only way to tell is to wait and see.

13. capone310

capone310 Member

i also bought that 50pk of fujifilm for 20 bucks and im happy to say they are all clean

ive already burned a couple of movies with them and they played just fine. hopefully they wont f up when i burn some games

14. capone310

capone310 Member

ohh also when burned those movies i set the rec. speed at 2x but only burned at 1x. the dvds are labeled "UP TO 8X WRITE SPEED"

15. capone310

capone310 Member

ohh also when burned those movies i set the rec. speed at 2x but only burned at 1x. the dvds are labeled "UP TO 8X WRITE SPEED"

16. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Well, I think I have decided to keep the Fuji disks. It may be a mistake in the long run, but they do show Yuden codes....and with all the talk about Yuden quality over the long run, I guess I'll take my chances. I did notice that the speckling I noticed isn't so noticeable in other light. I can see it clearly with the lamp at my computer desk, but elsewhere, I can't see it without straining my eyes. Maybe I'm too particular. We'll see how it goes. I did have another question, but I'll post it in another topic area. Thanks for the input.

17. budberner

budberner Guest

capone310

how long did it take to write? In my earlier posts I said I burned one @6X. I went back to 4X and am now writing in about 12 to 14. On Nero started test and stopped it after it was @ 5.5X I need to test for errors though and now that dvdinfopro download didn't work anyone any ideas. sadsac let us no how it works out. Still continuing on no problems

18. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I have only used one. I was trying to decide on whether to keep them or not because I didn't want to have used 5 or 6 if I took them back to the store. I'll let you know when I try another one how long it takes to burn. I know the one I used burned at 8x.

19. capone310

capone310 Member

i burned a dvd iso image(max size) and i think it took about 15 minutes

20. supra763

supra763 Member

I bought a pack today from Best Buy and noticed the same thing. Those damn speckles. The one towards the top tend to be worst than the ones on the bottom. Like Sadsac said my TDKs by CMC looked flawless compared to the Fujifilm! I tried burning one and it did burn fine at 8x even with the speckles.

They were Fujifilm DVD+R 8X, made in Japan. This was my first pack of TY's too. So much for "Made in Japan."

The Fujifilm DVD-R 8X are made in Taiwan. I checked them while at the store.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005