1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full Guide to Gamecube Backup/Booting

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Icemonkey, Dec 12, 2003.

1. dlowings

dlowings Member

No, per my understadning it does not work that way. First off anyone who uses dolphin will tell you that it is not really that good when it comes to speed. Last you need a gamecube system to back up a legal copy of the game.. Just having a computer does not cut. the game cube is going for a 100 bucks NEW and les then tht used, you need to invest in one if you want to play.

2. ArianB

ArianB Guest

I have a Gamecube, I just wanted to know if I could play them on my pc with a Gamecube disk. Anyway, I have another question. Can I burn downloaded Gamecube games to a disk and play them on Gamecube. Also, if Dolphin sucks so bad, then can someone tell me where I can get another instead?

3. dlowings

dlowings Member

Yes, it is possable. To the second question, Dolphin is the best attempt ar GameCube Emulation however it has a long ways to go. The bad thing is that I think the developer kinda ditched the application. I have not seen any updates for a long while.

4. fshowcars

fshowcars Member

Hello,

I am sorry for the question, but i have read a lot of information and am still unsure as to a solid answer and solution. I wanted to have the ability to copy my own legitate gamecube discs onto backup discs? I run the risk of having damaged games due to the young ones swapping games in and out.

Please send me a private message, I found this thread through a series of searches... if my question is not one that should be asked... i apologize if this is the case.

5. dlowings

dlowings Member

I had the same problem with my two boys. Some of these games were close to 50 bucks a pop, so thats why I started to look into this. After buying the same game twice a few times, it made me think there has to be a better way. I started with the PSO hack and for small kids its just does not work. Then justifyed spending 100 bucks on a mod chip and that did the trick. It made it way simpler for the boys to understand. Get the best mod chip on the market and you'll be way ahead of the game.. Its a good investment.

6. Donniepee

Donniepee Member

I'm wondering what versions of PSO work, is it just episode 1 $ 2?

7. salem1234

salem1234 Member

the serves of the pso 1&2 and 3 closed how can backup nintendo gamecube game

8. dlowings

dlowings Member

you dont need the online servers, you mimic what they do with DNS and the loader you run.

9. GrayW0lf

GrayW0lf Member

Can anyone tell me where to get the dolphin coder. i am really looking forward to modify it so that it works a lil faster.

10. GCalgebra

GCalgebra Member

Ok, problem...

I am having trouble re-naming .gcm files to .iso files. I downloaded some 20 gc's in all, and the only ones that work are the ones that originally came in as .iso's. the ones that i renamed, I am getting a black/white rolling screen. the roms have to be good, because dolphin runs them just fine... Here are what I'm running:

GC version C
    Viper GC mod chip
    2 differnet brands of Mini DVDs
    Nero Image burning software

suggestions???

11. jubangy

jubangy Member

The black and white scrolling is not being caused by you renaming the files, more then likely it is cause you are trying to play pal formatted games on an ntsc cube or vica versa.

12. jubangy

jubangy Member

I do not know if this has been posted or not as this thread is to long to dig through but for those of you who are having trouble booting backed up games, I used to have that problem as well.
    What I started doing was booting the GC without a disc in it ans waiting for the gc screen to come up then I put the game in and hit gameplay I believe it was then the gc loaded the disc with no issues at all and they all play fine. I have a xeno chip in it so I don't know if it's something specific to that or not but it works on all the games I have tried and there has to be 50 of them. I use whatever mini-dvdr I get on sale from whoever has them the cheapest and they all work that way.

13. ultihero

ultihero Member

alright so ive been having good luck with this whole method. ive got it all working and most of my games will run perfectly. i do have a slight annoyance really, my computer connects to the gamecube through a router with ethernet and all of course, but my computer gets internet from a usb wireless adapter. so obviously i have to connect my local area connection to connect to my gamecub which overrides my internet. basically whenever im streaming i cant use the internet. does anybody know how i can make it so i can connect to my cube while still getting internet from my adapter, im trying this all on xp. thanks in advance

14. sp0rk

sp0rk Member

Okay, I've not been around this thread in a while since my GC is all up and running with a ViperGC Extreme. Chances are, this may have already been mentioned, but I'm not sifting through old posts to find out! On a whim today I decided to see if there are advances in Wii backups (even though I don't even own one, sad I know!). I found an excellent tutorial for backing up Wii games, and it says it also works for GameCube discs!

All you need is to purchase a specific LG DVD-ROM drive (currently only 17.99 at NewEgg) and download the programs linked in the guide. The guide also gives a link to the DVD-ROM you need. And of course you will need a mod chip installed in your GC/Wii for it to be able to read the backups.

I forked out the $ for the ViperGC Extreme to have easy backup capability. Looks like I could've gone a cheaper route, bought the LG, and been ready for Wii too. Oh man :eek:)

Without further ado....
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/471073

15. uou

uou Regular member

Wow! That is interesting! So you only need the right DVD-ROM and you can make Gamecube and Wii backups right on your desktop PC without any other cables, hardware or hassle!? :)

So what is all this talk about Phatasy Star Online, cables, Max Drive Pro memory cards, etc?

Just outdated info?

16. sp0rk

sp0rk Member

Yep, looks like having the right DVD-ROM will allow you to backup the games without any special cables on the GC. You'll still need a mod chip installed so it will read it, but you can get the cheaper ones (down to like $20 and under) rather than having to purchase the high end brands (i.e. Viper Extreme). Plus the ability of copying Wii games! :)

I really just started my own quest into GC modding last April. I'm hoping to win a Wii somewhere (yea right, worth a try!), then I'll have it to mess with too. I may be way off base, but as far as I can tell/remember:

*Phantasy Star Online- Original method, you had to stream the game from the PC via cables.

*Max Drive Pro- Had to have this specific programmable memory card, but it allowed you to boot the disc without a mod chip. These are super rare and expensive from what I remember.

*SDGecko- (or something?) I believe is similar to the Max Drive only it uses an SD Card. I'm pretty sure you can run the emulators but I don't know about written discs. I found out about this after I purchased my chip.

*Mod Chips - Viper, Qoob, Ninja, etc. The only way to go. ;)

17. ashsashs

ashsashs Member

I worked out how to burn gamecube games. Nintendo made a program that allows you to do it, it is free because wii is out now.

18. ashsashs

ashsashs Member

If you would like this program please email me at:
    ash_schmid@hotmail.com
    That is also my msn messenger address.

19. sikk

sikk Member

I also have a XenoGC chip.

+1
    This also works for me

20. Shalkar

Shalkar Guest

Hi. I am new to the forums but I have been reading through this topic to understand on how to use PSO, BBA, Crossover cable. From GC to PC. I've followed the instructions quite well.

MY PC has PSUL, Phenoix 2.3 IP Adress set to 192.168.1.100 with subnet mask set to 255.255.255.0

My GC Spec are PSO III. BBA adapter, Crossover cable. Connected to GC BBA to PC. I set my IP as 192.168.1.32 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 default gateway and Primary DNS as 192.168.1.100
    as tutorial says exactly as is. I double checked. Okay when I load PSO and create a character through online it says connecting.

Then it stops saying cannot connect through DNS server. What am I doing wrong? Is it because of PSO III? Do I need PSO 1&2 or am I missing something? Plese help.

Thank you.