1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full Movie or Movie Only?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by CLiPsEmX, Mar 4, 2004.

1. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

Which do you guys prefer when burning your dvd's? I have made a couple of my dvd's, movie only but also have made some with the full movie and extras. I know that with the movie only you definately get little to no compression on the dvd. So I was thinking from now on, that I should burn my dvd's with only the movie on it, since I hardly look at the extras and other stuff. But I sometimes like the menus on the disc too. So which do most people do?

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I nearly 'always' do Movie-Only back ups ... so as to save as much bitrate [the bitrate decreasing the more you have to compress]
    When it comes to episode DVDs I usually do Full-Disk :D

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Same as herbsman, movie only if the original is over 5GB and full disc for episodes.

4. Matador

Matador Regular member

IF its a movie that has great extras, like behind the scenes of Gfx animation.Then I slipt the DVD into 2 discs...But thats if I the extras are worth it..Others just the movie and I all aways take off the ending and the Benging Logos,ext

5. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

If I like the menu then I keep the menu as well as the movie itself. If the menu is big then I compress it with CloneDVD and then use DVD2DVD-R with CCE to compress the main movie and then put it all back together using IfoUpdate, IfoEdit and finally burn with Nero.

Very long and kind of complex method but it is nonetheless very effective and gives me what I want, good quality and a nice menu.

Try it

6. brian100

brian100 Guest

Movie only for me.I leave the menu intact so i can keep the scene selections.

7. six.6.six

six.6.six Regular member

Movie only, get the best quality, not to mention i hate the extras. Plus for the kids its nice for them to just drop in the movie and it start playing....But that being said once Dual Layer comes out, then i will do full back up, might as well perfect video and alot of extra room why waste!

8. EliteHB

EliteHB Guest

If the dvd in question can fit onto dvdr then i will use DVDDecryter/DVDShrink. For larger dvd's i use CCE & DVDLab or Maestro. Very simplistic method to keep the original menu is take a "snapshot" then open it up in Paintshop... just copy what is needed,such as Play/Chapter Selection etc these can be added & set active in DVDLab.

9. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

EliteHB I've been curious about this... is there a guide for what you are talking about.

Does DVDLab support AC3 and .SUB files?

10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I like the movie to play like it does in the theatre, just put it in the player and it plays. I may watch the movie multiple times, but how many times am I going to watch all that other stuff? I can just use my player's remote to fast forward or rewind as needed. If I want to watch the extras again, I'll find the original and play it.

Many movie only back-ups require no compression and may leave enough room for me to add my own fun clips in.

You can do all kinds of things to get the entire DVD on to a disc, but it just adds time to the process.

11. EliteHB

EliteHB Guest

DVDLab can handle .ac3 but no subs.

Functionality of the "edited" menu will not be the same as "original" menu when using DVDLab. The plus side is DVDLab is very user friendly where as Maestro(for beginners) is slightly more complex. Also,DVDLab has an inbuilt audio transcoder which can be quite useful.

I've used this method for some time(there is no tutorial). Anyhow,this is how it's done using DVDLab:

1. Take screenshot of original menu

2. Manipulate menu using Paintshop(see below)

3. Rip VOB files from dvd

4. Put VOB files through DVD2AVI

5. Put .d2v through VFAPI

6. Calculate VBR using CCE Guesser

7. Import (vfapi).avi into CCE - Can also use Avisynth

8. Import the following files into DVDLab .mpv/.ac3/"originalmenu".bmp/Play.bmp/ChapterSelection.bmp

Manipulation of original menu using Paintshop: Open menu - click on "select" tool - use this tool to copy Play/Chapter Selection "buttons" to desired folder.

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/

12. herbsman

how long does that method take (just outta curiousity) ?

13. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

I only ever do movie only backups, no annoying menus, extras and crap, besides, i don't want anything shitting my picture quality up.

I'll even get rid of the credits if it has to be compressed at all.

This is why dvd shrink gets the job done for me, i can never tell the difference in a lot of movies, but that said i only have a 68cm tv.

Did i mention i hate menus? I hate how at the end of the movie it goes back to the main menu with that music my retarded 7 year old cousin could better.

Though i suppose with all those extra steps and s/ware you could set it so the movie just stops like mine does instead of it looping back to the menu??

14. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi pbailey,

God knows I have the highest respect for individuals who can manipulate the hell out of a DVD and do all kinds of cool stuff to it. They handle their computer like the experts they are.

It just seems like a lot of work. IMHO.

Spring is coming soon in my half of the world and I'm thinking of my bike and working on my tan. The faster I can burn the thing the better. IMHO.

Cheers!
    Frank

15. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Most of my backups are movie-only. Generally I won't use any compression unless the movie is only too big for a single disk by 5%-10%. In those cases I use DVD2AVI/AviSynth/CCE to transcode and Rejig to demux subtitles from the original and author the new one with subtitles. Then I author in DVD-Lab, using the VOBs Rejig created without demuxing and whatever menus I want to keep (usually just Main Menu and Chapter Selection).

I also have a few disks, like This Is Spinal Tap, where I want my backups to have everything. In the case of Spinal Tap I wouldn't even think about getting rid of the menus, extras, or commentary because they're actually as funny as the movie. To keep all of it I usually do a movie only backup in DVD Shrink and then use DVD Stripper to backup the disk with everything but the movie.

16. EliteHB

EliteHB Guest

herbsman

A 2hr movie would take roughly 2.5 hrs from start to burned dvdr. This is a very simple method. If you are authoring masses of dvdr on a daily basis and quality is not a concern,then your best bet would be DVDShrink. On the flip side,if quality with a decent menu is important then you can't go wrong using CCE/DVDLab/Maestro.

The method outlined above will not give an animated menu as you would using Maestro. The main menu & chapter selection menu/s are STILL images.

17. herbsman

ah !! I can add still image menu anytime I like

thought maybe the original (animated) menu was preserved

the method you described eliteHB isnt as long as I thought it might be if you say 2.5 hrs is all...

I know CCE SP to be quality , and I am gonna check out DVDLab real soon :)

18. movie_777

movie_777 Member

Just wanted to give my input.

I personally like the main menu but I don't like having the previews or other extras since I don't ever watch them.

I found this free program called DVD Stripper which lets you strip the extras like behind the scenes, previews, etc and once I do this I run the output through DVD Shrink and remove the extra audio and then burn it to my DVD. Some discs I have been able to get down from 7GB to under 5GB just by removing the extras while keeping the menu structure and pretty good picture quality.

My $0.02 cents.

19. EliteHB

EliteHB Guest

yeah check out DVDLab herbsman you could say it's an INEXPENSIVE version of Maestro without the additional "gadgets"... :D

Maestro is my number 1 choice used in conjunction with "special" :) quality movies. If in a hurry to author a lesser "quality movie" i'll use TMPGEnc DVD Author... gives pretty good results,motion background/chapters etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2004