1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

full quality rip

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by omgomga, Jun 14, 2007.

1. omgomga

omgomga Member

I have some movies that I own, I would like to make backups, how do I make backups with the original quality because when I watch the movies on my PC the quality is not as high as it is on the TV. Is that just because it's on my computer?

2. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

As far as maintaining the same movie quality, there are many factors here. If a DVD is less than 4.7gb in size you can make a copy of these without the loss of quality, because it doesn't need to be compressed. However, if the file is larger than 4.7gb (and nowadays most are) you will need to use dual layer discs to maintain the quality. Also, the resolution on your TV may be greater than what is set on your PC monitor, that's most likely why your DVDs look better on the TV than the monitor. Also, depending on the size of your TV, you may not notice a difference with compressing a DVD. The larger the size of the TV, the more pixelated a video will becomre, but if you're watching them on like a 27" or smaller, you probably won't notice too much a difference.