1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

full screen?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by biglen33, Feb 2, 2007.

1. biglen33

biglen33 Member

i just bought a divx player so i can put avi movies on cd-r's.the picture is not full screen and there is at least 4" on the top and bottom and 1" on each side that are black bars.how can i get it to full screen or is it something i have to live with?my tv is a standard 4:3 if that matters.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Sounds like a setting with the player, which hopefully can be adjusted. Usually people have the opposite problem, with the video output being fullscreen and their TV's overscan cutting the edges off.

3. biglen33

biglen33 Member

i have 3 settings on the divx player:

4:3 Letterbox
    4:3 Pan & Scan
    16:9 Letterbox

no matter what setting i put it on,it still stays the same size.i tried a dvd that i converted from avi to dvd with convertxtodvd,and all 3 settings made a difference.i know i can convert all the avi's and eliminate the problem, but i bought the divx player so i wouldn't have to convert.

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

It might help if you told us what brand and model number the player is. I go on a lot of hardware forums, and you would not believe how many times people don't include this obviously important information!

Now I've got that off my chest, I do know that some models of divx dvd player do play mpeg4 (divx & xvid etc) movies with black borders. Maybe you got one of those, maybe there is a setting, but until we know who made it, and which model it is, we are just guessing.

Maybe you need to check your firmware version and if it's not the latest, get the latest version (and instructions!). These players have firmware you can update. It's a good idea to keep up to date. Usually you download the firmware as an ISO, burn it to a CD-R, and put it in the player's disk tray. Then you unplug the player at the wall, and then power it up again, pressing some combination of buttons at the same time. (That's why you need the instructions!!!) The makers web site or a forum can usually point you in the right direction. Google is your friend here.

Take the Yamada DVX6100 just as an example. Some users find that if the divx movie size is less than 704 x 576 it has black borders all round Others say it is fine, it seems they have the later firmware versions.

5. biglen33

biglen33 Member

the make and model are:Magnavox MWD7006

6. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

biglen, what are the resolution(s) of the files that give you the borders?

7. biglen33

biglen33 Member

here's the resolution of 3 avi's:

608x256

572x312

592x320

8. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Some people love it. At first I thought those resolutions look a bit odd, but I checked a bunch of my divx movies and they are all different -

576 x 324
    576 x 304
    640 x 384
    576 x 240
    592 x 320
    608 x 320
    496 x 384

They all play without side borders on my 4:3 TV and my Ellion DVX 520C player which I bought in 2003!

On another forum someone said about this player,

I have one problem though, some of the AVI files are kind of zoomed out, they have bigger letterboxes than they should have, they have a letterbox on all 4 sides. So the problem is, when I click zoom, it zooms in, but too much so that half the movie is outsize of the zoom, but when I zoom back out it goes back to having a letterbox on every side.

It happens only on select AVIs, my guess is they haven't been encoded right. I noticed that it only happens to files that are encoded with DivX, Xvid works just fine.

Then again, someone else said in Google groups,

I bought a Magnavox model MWD7006 that supports DivX and it plays 99% of them.I love it! And it's only around $40 at Walmart.

Maybe you have been unlucky in the movies you have got so far. Have you studied the manual carefully? Maybe there is a firmware upgrade.

If you decide to give up, and you got it from Walmart, in the USA, they have a 30-90 return policy without restocking fees I believe.

9. biglen33

biglen33 Member

are you burning the avi's to cd-r as a data cd or are you converting them to dvd?

10. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I burn them as data. I didn't buy a divx enabled player just to hang around waiting for them to re-encode as DVDs. When I got the player in November 2003 (it cost $180 in US money!) I didn't have a DVD writer so I used to burn my divx movies one to a CD-R. I burned over 150 that way. When I got a DVD writer I started to burn them 5 to a DVD +R or -R depending what type was cheaper at the time. I also burn stuff on DVD +RW or -RW or CD-RW if that is more convenient. I know you can get players for a third of the price now but my Ellion suits me fine. It still plays everything I throw at it.

11. biglen33

biglen33 Member

i'll try a different brand divx player and see if that works.

12. biglen33

biglen33 Member

i just bought another brand divx player to see if that made a difference and it did.all my avi's that are on cd-r fill the whole screen now.the make and model are:philips DVP3040 and it's $50 at Best Buy and if you order online and do a store pick-up,it's $45.there are way more options with this player as far as setting the picture size:Fill,original,height fit,width fit,auto fit,and pan scan.

13. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Glad you've got a good result, biglen :)

14. biglen33

biglen33 Member

thanks again for all the help.