1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Functional menus with DVDShrink?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Floydio, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Floydio

Floydio Member

Hi. Just started experimenting with DVDShrink and am quite happy about being able to choose what you want on a disc, split across two discs to preserve quality, etc.
    BUT----wondering if there is a way to have 'functional' menus included....not just have them show up and play as a 'chapter' basically.......

?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If you re-author anything with Shrink it will render the menus useless. To keep the menus intact you need to do a full-disc copy and not remove anything.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    Browning Hi-Power[/small]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2004
  3. Floydio

Floydio Member

Thanks for the help.
    That sucks but at least the chapter skip still works.

4. tongx

tongx Guest

guys, im a new user of DVD Shrink, i use the re-author,.and drop down all the extras, i just copied the menu and the main movie., when i check the dvd that i burn, u cant move the thing in main menu, theres no highlight in the play movie,scene selection,deleted scenes.. i cant move it.. plsease help guys,thanx...

5. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

tongx, read the post by Nephilim above yours.

6. morrow52

morrow52 Guest

Do you guys know what would be a good program for creating menus to use in this situation?? For instance, let's say you wanted to back up a DVD9, and wanted to have 0% compression to the main movie title, and still keep selected extras. Is there a good program for creating custom menus, or am I grasping at straws here?

7. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

if you want to keep everything on the dvd, dvd shrink can do this with functional menus, you just cant reauthor. Also, if you have a dvd9, you cant have 0% compression on the main movie unless you split it onto 2 discs.

8. angel4ks

angel4ks Member

Hi there! I'm reading these posts and maybe I'm not understanding -- but I keep fully functional menus without re-authoring at all... and perfect quality...

Here's some instructions I have put together to get perfect copies of your DVD w/ all free programs: www.myparalegal.org/copymain.html.

Good luck! Let me know if all works out!

9. FatDoe

FatDoe Member

10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi FatDoe,
    I'm to cheap to buy it and I don't want a trial that doesn't support backing up the last two chapters.

Have you tried backing up a movie with it? Were you able to remove features and keep the menu working?

Just curious,
    Frank

11. morrow52

morrow52 Guest

Sorry, I should have clarified more towards what I have in mind. For instance, If I wanted to backup a copy of a DVD9 movie, and keep the movie and the deleted scenes, but none of the extras that take up so much room, or the audio that I will never use. If the movie .VOB is 3,600MB with 0% compression, the unwanted audio streams weeded out, and the other stuff could be compressed, so that everything would easily fit onto a DVD-R. Is there a program that a person could use to make custom menus for accessing such things as the deleted scenes, main movie, subtitles, etc??

12. FatDoe

FatDoe Member

I have been able to back up my entire Disney collection for my boy including Sleeping Beauty and Finding Nemo with the menu intact and no changes to the movie (original quality, lossless backup). It works on both XP and my old 2000.
    The site has some examples:
    http://www.dvd-replica.com/dvdsamplers.php3

13. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

You can do the same thing with Clonedvd and Anydvd at about $40.each. Also Any dvd will work with Nero Recode and I sometimes run it behind DVDshrink during the few times Shrink has problems decrypting. This is what I use to beable to edit a dvd and still keep menus active and working.
    Jerry

14. Floydio

Floydio Member

AHA! I have figured one way to please my self-search for keeping menu navigation!

Depends on the size of the original of course and whether you want to split, etc the 'feature'.

BUT--------I've done this:

a) re-author the feature film at compression to your liking.

b) do ANOTHER entire disc (if extras fit...) as "Full Disk" BUT--- for Main Movie, make sure to turn all the audio streams off, set compression to custom or I even did 'Still Pictures'.

That keeps the disc as a whole, with menu navigation but you won't be able to watch the Feature. It is only good for navigation through special features.

I did this with a couple discs and serves my purpose quite well. I have the movie on one (or two) discs with little/no compression and a single disc for special features.

Of course---this really only serves a purpose when you've got TONS of extras. Otherwise...yawn. ;)

-floyd

15. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Very creative Floyd! :D

16. cvek

cvek Guest

Hello all,

I have a few Q ,I hope you all can help!
    My problem is taht I want to make a backup WITHOUT compress the movie ( I like when the movie is perfect).
    I have use the progĀ“ram decrypter ( nice program) and ript the hole movie. NOw.. I want to "split" the movie in 2 disc ( a dvd-r only fit 4.3..) and want to keep the meny also. I have try dvd shrink but..dont know how to do. Also the dvd shrink dont keep the menys.
    Do some one now a good program to "split" 1 movie( dvd9) to 2 dvd-r and kepp the meny also?

Please help

17. Yordan

Yordan Guest

Hi, guys, I`ve just downloaded DVDShrink 3.1.6
    Could someone tell me if this version offers the option of recording an entire movie over two disks without compression. I`ve experimented with it but so far no success with splitting. This is the first time I`ve used this program and I am very impressed. I`ve got DVD X Copy Platinum but Shrink`s functionality is way better...

18. morrow52

morrow52 Guest

cvek and Yordan: I am nowhere near the expert that some of these fine people that visit these forums, but I have used DVD Shrink numerous times to split a main movie title over two discs. My practice for most movie titles that are large enough to fit across 2 DVD-R's is to use DVD Shrink's deep analysis and custom compression to keep the movie file under 4,264kb, as I am very happy with DVD Shrink's ability to compress the disc while being unnoticable to my untrained eye.

But, I have run across many an occasion where I have wanted to split a title across 2 discs. The process that I use is to go into the "re-author" mode, drag and drop my title, and then right-click and use "start stop frames". It is very simple to control where the first disc stops, and the second one starts. Simply start the second disc where you sliced the first one. Unfortunately, with this method, the menus become non-functional, even if you add them to the disc.

Let us know how this works out for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2004
  19. Yordan

Yordan Guest

I feel a bit stupid now that I`ve been told how it is done (splitting the movie). Very straight forward indeed. Should`ve thought of that...
    Thank you for your help mate!!