1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future of DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Spedrun, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Spedrun

Spedrun Member

Folks,

I'm not a multimedia person but need to get into DVDs for 2 televisions that are both supplied via Cablevision. I want to be able to

1)watch an occasional TV show at a later, convenient time,

2) occasionally make a DVD of something on TV to save,

3) probably save to a DVD family scenes from a digital Camcorder (not yet purchased), and

4) some unforseen uses that I have yet to discover!

I am not interested in getting and subscribing to TIVO...my uses are too few. As for a current purchase, should I be getting a DVR with a hard drive now, a DVR without a hard drive (and just store stuff on DVDs, or should I wait for Tivo like devices from Cablevision (which i prefer to deal with as little as possible) or other companies?

I think the future of TIVO and DVRs may be changing and I'm geting confused as I look to the short term. If I get a DVD with a hard drive and I have Cablevision IO service, isn't there some issue about programming the Cable system as well as the DVD to record a program when i'm not st home... something about an EPG or IR Blaster.... Hoes does one program the cable box?

Thanks for all your input.

Spedrun

Thanks.

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

You could get a capture card for your computer and get the analog signal from your cable box, then convert to DVD format (UDF), then burn, or use DVD Shrink if necessary to compress, then burn. Also get some RW discs.