1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FW 2.81 modding help?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by pspnoobe, Nov 30, 2007.

1. pspnoobe

pspnoobe Member

Hey everyone! I'm a long time lurker here, first time poster.

I have a question about PSP modding. I have read alot of the guides here, and I do understand them....but I need to know what I have to do to be able to play homebrew (emulators) and backed up games. There is just so much information here, and I need to know what my best options are for my current firmware.

I currently have FW 2.81. I just need to know what to do, and I can probably follow the guide's directions. I stopped upgrading FW at 2.81 because I didn't want to ruin my chances of ever running homebrew and backed up games.....but it looks like people have figured out how to do all that with the most current firmware. Awesome!

I've had my PSP for a couple years now, and have only bought a couple games for it. I am almost more interested in emulators, then actual PSP games. I would really like to figure this stuff out so I can actually start using my PSP more.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

Upgrade to 3.03 and then downgarde using a REAL and UNPATCHED UMD of Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (download the downgrader HERE).

or

Upgrade to 3.50 and downgrade using Lumines (download the downgrader HERE).

The downgrader brings you to 1.50. From there you could upgrade to any CFW. I recommend 3.71 M33.

3. pspnoobe

pspnoobe Member

So, I have to get the actual UMD disc of GTA or Lumines? Anyone know the cheapest place to get those right now? I think I saw GTA pretty cheap recently at Circuit City. Might have been a Black Friday ad though?

4. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

maybe eBay? I recommend you buy GTA because itll help u downgrade AND its an excellent game.

5. pspnoobe

pspnoobe Member

I'm thinking that it may be kinda hard to find an unpatched GTA. Is it that much harder to go the Lumines route? The link you provided said that you can use any version of Lumines....including the "greatest hits" version.

6. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

Yeah, use Lumines if you want but GTA is a better game than Lumines so that once you finish downgrading, you have a good game handy. But it's your decision. Sayign that GTA is better than Lumines is just my opinion.

7. pspnoobe

pspnoobe Member

OK, I found a GTA LCS, and downgraded to 1.50. (Thank You!!) Now what?? :) Can I delete all of the files that I put on the PSP that I used for the downgrade?

You suggested CFW 3.71 M33. Is there a guide to loading CFW? Can I just upgrade to 3.71 M33 or do I have to do something else?

8. tmbm

tmbm Regular member

9. pspnoobe

pspnoobe Member

Damn Rapidshare! Is there a way that I don't have to wait 36 mins to download the second file?

10. tmbm

tmbm Regular member

should downloaded 2nd one, upgrade to 3.52m33-4, -4 isnt really important for 36 minutes

11. pspnoobe

pspnoobe Member

OK, I have updated to 3.52 M33-4 (Thanks!!!), is there anything else I should do?

Where should I get started with homebrew? Are there any homebrew "basics" guides? I want to use an NES emulator. Any suggestions?? Any "must have" homebrew programs?

12. tmbm

tmbm Regular member

yeah just look around the stickies on this forum

13. pspnoobe

pspnoobe Member

I can't seem to figure out one basic thing. Do I have to put the PSP into some kind of 1.5 mode to run homebrew, or can I just run it with the 3.52 M33-4 CF??

14. pspnoobe

pspnoobe Member

Like I'm trying to run NesterJ, and I can get the emulator to load, but I can't find how to load ROMS in the NesterJ menu? I go to folder where I have the roms, and it doesn't show them? I switched to 1.5 kernel mode, and still have the problem.

15. pspnoobe

pspnoobe Member

OK, I figured it out. I can run it in CFW 3.52. I just had to put the roms in a certain folder for NesterJ to see them. Kinda wierd.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

16. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

17. pspnoobe

pspnoobe Member

I think I may do this, but upgrading to 3.71 looks a tad bit more complicated.

What are the main benefits?

18. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

I wrote them just on top, and remember, it's not 3.71, it's 3.71 M33.

19. pspnoobe

pspnoobe Member

OK, I'm updating to 3.71 M33-4, and I just added the 1.50 kernel. Can I delete the "150.pbp" file from the memory stick root, or do I leave it there??

TIA!

20. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

Once you're on 3.71 M33-4 and you're done intalling the add-on, you can delete everything.