1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FX vs Ti

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by tbowling, Jan 7, 2004.

1. tbowling

tbowling Member

OK, I know I'm going to hate doing this but I have to ask. I am about to build a new machine, and was looking at video cards. I will not go out and spend a billion on a card. I was looking at the FX5800 vs the Ti4800. I know that some of the new games (Madden 04) takes only DX9. Other than that. Can someone tell me if they like the FX over the Ti. Also don't talk Radeon, I want to go GeForce. No offense I had a Radeon and it was a beautiful card, it's jsut I feel that the GeForce is more built for gaming. So fire away

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Short and sweet: Ti series is DirectX8. FX series is DirectX9

3. skinny85

skinny85 Member

I've got a Ti4200. Can I play Madden 04 even though it is DX9 game? What are the major differences from having a DX8 and DX9 card. Frame rates? Actually being able to play?

4. Praetor

Cant see why you wouldnt be able to play. Halo works fine for most of the world. HL2 is slated to be able to be played even by DX6 cards. Of course you wont be able to get the full spectrum of effects especially with the DX6 card hehe.

The real difference between DX8 and DX9 is the amount of dynamic 'things' you can have (i.e., lighiting, effects blah blah blah). With a DX9 card damn near everything can be dynamic while with a DX8 card almost everything is dynamic.

5. tbowling

tbowling Member

Man you guys have very nice machines. HAHAHAHA. I'm glad you brought up the DX8 DX9 thing. So I guess you can play DX9 game with an DX8 card. The reason why I asked about the FX, and the Ti is because alot of people are saying the TI is higher end, and the FX is a budget model. This is one of those times that I would like to spend a little more money on a good card that does not stststst stutter or hiicup while I'm playing a game. I also have Madden 04, and that sucked stutters a lot. Either it's the card or that 5400rpm Maxtor drive I have. (yes this is why I'm upgrading)

6. Praetor

FX and TI are completely different product lines and i think you might have them mixed up...

"TI"
    - Ti, Titanium is the high-end series for GeForce4 cards (the budget line carried the MX designation)
    - So if you buy a GeForce4, make sure it is the Ti line
    - ALL GeForce4TI cards are DirectX8
    - ALL GeForce4MX cards are DirectX7 (almost DX8 but they lack 2 functions for qualification)

"FX"
    - Could be called the GeForce5 but probably for marketing reasons, FX was used
    - ALL GeForceFX cards are DirectX9
    - nVidia, having recieved a bad rep over the MX line of cards ditched the MX and TI designation when it came to the GeForceFX line of cards
    - The entry level card is the GeForce5200, the midlevel card ius the GeForceFX5600 and the high end line, GeForceFX5900
    - The GFX5200, while it doesnt carry the MX designator, is really just a DirectX9 equivalent of the MX card. I was going to buy a whole bunch of them until i realized that the performance of the 5200 was actually quite poor. The GeForceFX5200 does one thing: it brings DirectX9 cards to the budget conscious user which is really quite a feat.

Comparisons
    - If you are thinking of getting a GFX5200 because of budget constraints and dont anticipate playing a whoel crapload of DX9 games (or the rest of your computer isnt so impressive), consider going after the GeForce4Ti line of cards. Superior in almost every way to the GFX5200 (except for the DX9 support).
    - Otherwise look at the GFX5600 or higher

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

GeForce FX5700 Ultra. nVidia finally got a handle on DX9 for their mid-range cards. 475mhz core and 128MB DDR2@450 mhz. They start at $179 at newegg.com. I'm an ATI guy but I'd buy this card.

8. Praetor

I dunno the specifics and it probably comes down to splitting hairs but I would imagine the GFX5600 selling for $139 CAD would be a far better deal (considering the GFX5200 sells for $99 CAD here).. Dunno.... just my two cents.

9. tbowling

tbowling Member

Guys thank you for your input. I will get the FX series (just because it's DX9 ready). Now I'm ready to build my machine. YEEEEEEEHHHHHAAA!!!

10. Nephilim

Nothing quite like the charge you get when getting together and building a new system, eh fellas?

11. Praetor

How about when you get a contract to setup a school's computer lab, 40 comps, in a week.... and its just you? ;-)

12. vans12

vans12 Regular member

13. tbowling

tbowling Member

Yes I do love putting machines together. This is what my puppy will look like when I'm done:

AMD XP2500+
    200GB HD
    1GB PC2700 mem
    GeForce FX 5800 128mb
    Audigy 2 platinum Sound Card
    NEC DVD 1100
    Mitsumi 52x48x52x

14. Nephilim

You ought to be a very happy man indeed. Enjoy!

15. Praetor

I wouldnt exactly reccommend a Mitsumi burner tho. :)

16. tbowling

tbowling Member

Too late for the burner :). I've had her for a while. She's doing good (knock on wood).