1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G6 Real - Deleted Data Problem

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by eviltrash, Aug 1, 2007.

1. eviltrash

eviltrash Member

Hey all, I'm new to Homebrew and this forum as well, but I understand homebrew pretty well already. I have had a problem that's been nagging at me lately:

I had music files on my G6 Real flash card in a music folder, and within that music folder I had a seperate folder just for Tool songs, and I was listening to them with the media player that came built into the G6 card. I then stopped listening to the Tool, and went into the folder with all my other songs and played one of them. After I stopped that song, I unplugged the charger from my DS and took it into my bedroom, and shortly thereafter I turned the system off with the built-in "Turn Off DS" button (as opposed to using the physical button on the DS itself).

Now,everything in the Tool subdirectory is missing, seems to have been deleted somehow, and when I hook up the G6 to my computer, the Tool folder is still there, but with nothing in it. So I try to delete the folder, and it can't delete. A program I use called Flash Rename couldn't even find the folder, like it's really not there at all, but yet Windows Vista and the DS both see the folder.

Is there any way that I can make this folder disappear?

Thanks a bunch!

P.S. - I was also wondering how to format the card, and make sure that it's stilled readable as plug'n'play with my computer after formatting. If I can't get rid of that folder any other way, I'd like to just format it, but I don't even know how to do that (honestly!)

Thanks again. Hope someone can help me.

2. eviltrash

eviltrash Member

OK, new revelation here: the data is still taking up space on the card. It was about 100 MB worth of songs, and I looked at the properties for all of the folders individually and it's 1.14 GB

I then looked at the properties for the drive itself, and it's 1.24 GB, so even though the folder is still visible, the FILES are not visible, and the properties for the folder say its occupying 0 bytes, though the files in there are still clearly taking up space on the card.

This is very confusing.

3. eviltrash

eviltrash Member

If you can modify messages on this site, I don't know how. Appologies.

Anyhow, another update:

I ran a chkdsk on the card and converted the folders to files, and managed to get them off the card, but the missing files must still be there because they used space property of the card didn't change.

4. eviltrash

eviltrash Member

OK. Now I'm really upset.

I was having issues and decided to just format it. I went to the website for G6Flash and they say insert the card into the slot-1 and hold START while powering on the DS. I did this and chose to format the drive. It says it's safe to remove the card after it says "Format...OK" so I powered off the DS, removed the card, hooked i up to my PC, and now my PC says it can't find drivers and cannot access the card until I have drivers. This company does not offer drivers anywhere on their website, nor did any come with the packaged CD-Rom. So, where does I get drivers, and how to I make my PC recognize this thing again?

I did everything it said to do to format this thing, and it says after hooking it up to the PC again, just copy system files over to it, but I can't do that because the PC refuses to recognize that it exists...

5. eviltrash

eviltrash Member

This hardware is fluky. I just decided to reformat again. Did EXACTLY the same thing as the first time, only after this one Windows decided to recognize it again.

So that's that, I think I solved all my own problems. Appologies for having to talk it through to myself on this forum, but I wanted to keep the option open for others to help out if I couldn't figure it out.

Thanks.

6. spathi

spathi Regular member

thanks for following up, it really helps

7. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

lol, although you did work it out on your own in the end this thread does have useful info in it, think i'll add it to my favourites for future reference.