1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamecube Controller Port LED Mod

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by RTi, Jan 16, 2005.

1. RTi

RTi Member

Hi,

im looking for some links or info on how to mod the controller port so the led's only light up when a controller is plugged in. iv i spent 3 hours searching on google last nite.. but cant find anything..

iv done the power led mod.. got a nice blue one.. just want to move onto the next stage now :)

2. myname2

myname2 Member

dont xpect much help, ive posted 2 questions similar to this and got no responses.

3. myname2

myname2 Member

4. RTi

RTi Member

yeah that would be pretty easy...

i read on another forum (cant find it now) about someone who got it working.. he wsa just using slightly low power leds .. so even without a controller u got a very dim light.. but when u plugged a controller in it went to full brightness.

i'll have to open my gc up again.. and try some experiments..

5. w00t!

w00t! Member

I did this mod back when my dreamcast still worked...
    (cries)
    I do not know if it will even work with a gamecube...
    good luck, keep us posted on the progress

6. f1__man

f1__man Guest

7. RTi

RTi Member

Thanks.. not much detailed on there though..

im just gonna have to sit down and experiment with it myself.. sometime soon

8. xboxmoddz

xboxmoddz Member

did you guys get any of those mods done. i want to try this crap real bad now.

9. myname2

myname2 Member

so far what Ive figured out is that if you take the cover off your cube, then you can take the controller port section off. there are two clips attaching it to the system, take a look and youll get it. take the clips off, then you can see the circuit board for the controller port. there will be a series of six pins in a row behind the spot where every controller plugs in, it will look like this : ::: test the pins, I think its the first two on the left ->: ::
    they supply power, enough for an led. soder an led to these pins. TEST IT FIRST. then remove the 2 screws holding the circuit board to the plastic plate. drill out the holes on the plate so you can see the leds. reassemble and you are done.

10. xboxmoddz

xboxmoddz Member

isnt the part you would need to drill be the actual board. i am not sure if there is any place to drill it. its kind of hard to fit the leds inside

11. myname2

myname2 Member

well, I think youd just leave the led leads long, and bend them over the circuit board. then you could see them through the holes.

12. xboxmoddz

xboxmoddz Member

do you have a picture of the points. so that i can connect the pos and neg end of the leads.

13. myname2

myname2 Member

hmm...I dunno how to add a picture to my post, I cant find one anyways... but heres what it should look like:
    0 ::: 0
    ^
    |
    |
    you want the two on the left, that the arrow points too. im not sure which is the lead, I think its the bottom. Im really not sure, and I dont wanna fiddle with my cube right now, but I can tell you its those two.

14. myname2

myname2 Member

sorry,auto format. but I hope you get it, it will look like a diamond. 4 corners of big sauderings, the 0`s. and six little ones, the colons. youd want the colon on the left. I really hope this is making sense.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  15. speedi

speedi Member

I'm going to try the controller led mod next week.
    Don't have any time right now. I'll keep you guys posted.

I think this is possibble because The nintendo Wavebird also has a led I just have to know which connectors deliver the current and how much.

I'll do this soon.

16. myname2

myname2 Member